Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    djb023

New to posting here, but I have been training for awhile now. My instructor has recently disallowed any footwear other then grapplesocks on the mats due to some MRSA / ringworm issues and I am wondering if I you all feel that there is a sense of realism lost without sneakers/boots on. Do other instructors feel the same way about footwear?

matt-v

Re: Footwear

yeah that sounds pretty bogus, running sneakers should be allowed.

thecrownsown

We are permitted to use track shoes with white sole’s (so as not to mark up the mats), and some who are involved in BJJ, Muay T. classes go bare foot. I would think that in most situations you’d be in shoes so it’s good to train that way, but both are fine.

So the instructor is saying no footwear because of ringworm? How does that work?

jmac-d66

Transmission
    Ringworm is very common, especially in children, and may be spread by skin-to-skin contact, as well as via contact with contaminated items such as hairbrushes or through the use of the same toilet seat as an infected individual. Ringworm spreads readily, as those infected are contagious even before they show symptoms of the disease. Participants in contact sports such as wrestling have a risk of contracting the fungal infection through skin-to-skin contact.
    Ringworm is mildly contagious. Ringworm is also a common infection in domestic animals, especially farm animals, dogs and cats and even small pets like hamsters or guinea pigs. Humans can contract ringworm from these animals as humans are in close contact with them. Chickens may also be a source, due to the dirty conditions in which many poultry live and in which ringworm may thrive. Ringworm can also be caught from other humans, both by direct contact and by prolonged contact with flakes of shed skin (from sharing clothes or from house dust, for instance).
    To catch ringworm, you have to be exposed to it and you have to be susceptible. Some people are much more susceptible than others. Those with eczema or other skin problems get ringworm more easily because the protective barrier of the skin’s outer layer is less intact. Children are more susceptible before puberty. Some people are genetically predisposed, and can get it easily throughout life.

gwalsh-d92

Our school requires dedicated footware on the mats. (The shoes you wear outside don’t come inside)

bracius

Does he ever clean his mats?

bkl041018

Can anyone recommend a good shoe? I imagine a wrestling type would be good? thanks!

djb023

They do clean the mats often, I am assuming he had bad experience somewhere. He does allot of jits also and it’s pretty common over there on those mats.

djb023

Allot of good advice here, I think the dedicated shoes are also a good idea. I tried to sell him on wrestling shoes but i think he is sold on the grappling socks.

mara-jade

The only times I’ve seen a few folks barefoot is in our kettlebell classes but for KM classes, like another poster said, footwear that doesn’t mark up the mats if I remember correctly.

Our center’s very good about cleaning the rooms regularly. I did get sick a few times this year due to folks who felt they had to spread whatever they had to the rest of us in class, so not my center’s fault.

I’ve seen all different types of shoes in class, wrestling shoes, sneakers, etc.

pugnax88

My school has everyone barefoot on the mats. Quite honestly, I’d like to be able to train in my boots, as they are considerably heavier than my bare feet, but not really much i can do about it. I’m used to barefoot training from MMA, so it doesn’t bother me as much, but I’m a believer in training the way you would fight.

simon

I wear Asics (sp) but I think anything that doesn’t have a really grippy ball of the foot area is better then regular tennis shoes.

The problem I have with most shoes is my feet feel like they are stuck to the matt.

sdkraver

quote djb023:

New to posting here, but I have been training for awhile now. My instructor has recently disallowed any footwear other then grapplesocks on the mats due to some MRSA / ringworm issues and I am wondering if I you all feel that there is a sense of realism lost without sneakers/boots on. Do other instructors feel the same way about footwear?

That’s too bad, I think it helps to wear realistic shoes.

susie

Our instructor requires somthing like these, they are a martial are shoe, the bottom has little or no traction. My instructors take on it is it would simulate a more realistic fight. You may not be wearing sneakers during an altercation. If you can keep your balance and learn how to bring torque with out your shoes gripping the floor, you have a better chance of walking away. (It also saves his mats – no arguing there)

http://www.revgear.com/product/121/shoes

jl

Bushido’s are decent shoes but are prone to rip out at the side seams. I have tried many different styles over the last few decades and have the same wrestling shoes I used when I was a purple belt(over 15 yrs ago). The nice thing about Bushido shoes is the smooth surface on the bottom. What I would love to see is a shoe in the same style as a wrestling shoe with a smooth bottom. Until I find something like that I will wear my $30 Nike Mat Shoes. Maybe we can all get a line into one of the manufacturers, and see if we can bring some buying power to the table and have a shoe made specific to our needs. Just a thought! Keep reading this thread, there are lots of KM practioners out there that have a lot of experience on this. IF you run around barefoot in the streets, you have no problem. If not, it’s a trial and error type of problem. When you find one you like you will stick with them until they wear out. I only use mine on the mat. Nowhere else, and they have lasted a really long time. Hope this helps …. JL

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: