Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    euphoria

Hey guys,

When proforming any front kick I find it very hard to pivot the base foot, it just seems to be glued to the floor. Does anyone have any tips? Solutions? Or would constant practice be the only answer?

hm2pac

Re: Front kick pivoting

Practice, Practice, Practice.

Not just the kick though. Practice the pivot and practice opening the hips before the strike.

Then put it all together and practice the whole thing.

Go slow enough to get the proper form down. Don’t go so slow that you fall over though. Once you have the flow of the pivot with the kick, speed and power will come with time.

jjester

Here’s a trick I use:

From your fighting stance, gently bounce on the balls of your feet: loosen up. Then kick. For me, this bouncing helps me my weight distribution. Remember, you want your weight on the balls of your feet so you can move faster and more smoothly. I suspect that the reason your base foot feels cemented is because you are letting all of your weight fall on the heel. If that’s the case, you will be stuck!

So just before you kick, bounce a little on the balls of your feet, and then try kicking with the slight pivot. Nevertheless, don’t sweat it. I’m confident that it will come.

bradm

Pivot on a front kick? I’ve never paid any attention to it. I don’t pivot on a front kick (at least I’ve never noticed I do). Round kick and side kick – yes.

kmky

usually when i see people not pivoting it is b/c they are flat footed, try like jjester said, and make sure you are on the ball of your base foot.

hm2pac

Pivoting on a Front Kick helps with power and with balance.

As the base-foot is turned with the in-step toward the target, it allows you to push harder against the ground.

With the base foot turned in this manner, you are also more balanced and have better control. Whether you want to re-chamber the kicking leg and bring it back, or if you want to step forward and get a little closer to your target.

If you haven’t tried it, you may want to. Just another way to do things.

kevin-mack

stop bringing the leg back. Land forward. Sometimes when beginners worry about getting the leg back they tend to sacrifice the extension of the kick and the opening of the hip. Kick forward with pivot…land forward..follow up with a punch with the same hand that you kicked….keep attacking. Thats retzev.

hm2pac

Always landing forward and continuing the attack is an option.

Rechambering the leg and stepping back is also an option.

We weren’t really talking about whether or not to continue with further attacks. The discussion hinges on preoper kicking form and how to go about developing said form.

kevin-mack

but my point was that when you land forward your hip opens up more and the pivot becomes easier. When beginners concentrate on bringing the foot back they dont open the hip and pivot.By staying on your toes and kicking and landing forward the pivot becomes much easier.Try this for awhile and then go back to bringing the leg back.

hm2pac

Kevin, I am not following you.

When landing, the kicking foot comes down, the hip joint should be in a closed position. Traditionally the hip joint should open before/as the kick is being delivered. This happens with a smooth pivot onto the ball of the foot.

Just so that we are all on the same page as to what open and closed is:

An open hip is externally rotated. (knees apart)
    A closed hip is internally rotated. (knees together)

kevin-mack

its hard to describe without showing but at 0:24 in this video is close to what I am trying to describe. Its quick though so its easy to miss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z7BzWt4L9g

hm2pac

Good video Kevin, I love to watch Mr. Kahn work.

I see what you are describing. It looks to me that we have been describing the same thing.

Watch as he throws the round kick, he is pivoting, and both of his hips are actually open. When the kick is at full extension, the kicking hip is closing. He lands the kicking leg with the hip closed and the planted leg hip open. Perfect form. Again, good video.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: