Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    celtickm

Hi,

I have been trying to perfect the basic KM moves recently and have been looking at the front kick to the groin. I came across this guys well illustrated tips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xshmv7vwcdI

and he is big on recoiling after the kick and I have also read this same suggestion of recoiling in Darren Levine’s book. Quote from there: “a regular front kick to the groin. Recoil your right (kicking) foot.”

My confusion in regards to this is that I think the last time in my class I may have been told that after the kick that I should put the foot straight down from the groin so you have gained some ground on the attacker and then to follow up with some elbow and knee strikes to finish the attacker off. This is more in line with continuous movement and Kevins excellent video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5dLNIVlEaU

So I guess my question is, do you recoil your foot to fighting stance or do you drop your foot in front and move forward attacking further i.e. retzev?

Maybe the answer is both depending on the situation but it would be good to hear some other opinions on it so I know I’m not missing something.

Thanks

don

Re: Front kick techniques

I think you answered your own question… 🙂

For me, it will largely depend on what my next move will be, where the opponent is, and/or where my balance is.

catapult

I think the important thing is the principle of why you should recoil your kicks immediately. If you leave your leg hanging out there, a grappler can grab it and easily take you to the ground.

stuartf

The way it was taught to me is recoil it either back to your fighting stance or forward into an opposite fighting stance, but don’t just let gravity pull it down. So you’re actually recoiling quickly and placing the foot where you want it to go based on what the situation dictates.

esquire32

Good timing as I had a simila question arise. I have always done a front kick by lifting the knee, striking out with shin/foot, and recoiling back and then planting where appropiate. The question is this? Should we be lifting the knee and kicking OR simply driving out from your stance with essentially a straight leg/punting type motion….?

celtickm

quote stuartf:

The way it was taught to me is recoil it either back to your fighting stance or forward into an opposite fighting stance, but don’t just let gravity pull it down. So you’re actually recoiling quickly and placing the foot where you want it to go based on what the situation dictates.

Interesting Stuart, seems like you’re similar to Don whereby it depends on circumstances and depending on where you want to place your foot afterwards.

stuartf

quote esquire32:

Good timing as I had a simila question arise. I have always done a front kick by lifting the knee, striking out with shin/foot, and recoiling back and then planting where appropiate. The question is this? Should we be lifting the knee and kicking OR simply driving out from your stance with essentially a straight leg/punting type motion….?

My understanding is that you lead with your hips, chamber the kick by bending the knee (the higher your knee is over the target the stronger the kick will be) then unfold the leg with a motion like you’re trying to flip mud off the toe of your shoe. Impact the target with the shin bone, recoil quickly and place your foot into your fighting stance (or opposite stance).

esquire32

Thats exactly how I do it . But, as I mentioned, I have been told the more straight leg variation is the official way to do it.

don

I’m not sure if there is an “official” way to do it. IMO, how you deliver your kick is going to be a balance between developing power/speed and non-telegraphing. With respect to knee bend – on one end of the spectrum you have no knee bend at all and on the other, “too much” knee bend. I suggest playing around with the technique and seeing how much bend works best for You for greatest impact/force and least giveaway that you’re going to kick (this also includes whatever else you move during the technique, hands, hips, torso, eyes, feet, shoulders, etc).

t-krav

Great imagery. Thanks for putting that out there. An instructor at one of the schools I frequent uses the analogy of a semi automatic pistol. The leg is the magazine or clip. You chamber the knee by picking up a round from the magazine and load it into the breech. BANG you fire that kick and immediately recoil to pick up another round. When he demos it you can literally visualize how the foot is the round, and the leg is the mechanisim that takes it from the magazine and chambers it into the weapon before firing it with the hip.

kevinmack

you have to remember that the kicks in Krav Maga came from Karate so snapping at the knee is the original way of doing it. But Muay Thai has influenced some instructors/orgs over the past few years so some tend to throw thai style round kicks and straight legged front kicks as mentioned in this thread.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: