Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

I have only been doing the KM thing for a few months but I was wondering if the standard front kick (not the kick to the balls) is taught in KM.

I’m not a big fan of kicks above the waist but the front kick to the gut is usually a really effective long range weapon for creating space. Does KM get in to that at all?

FWIW… I used to think the front kick was useless for anything other than sparring/kickboxing but a friend showed me that it is a really good way to deal with a situation where you want to keep somebody off of you but for liability reasons you’re not sure if you want to crush their testicles yet.

Crap! I just realized that I posted this under the wrong thread…

johnl-d11

Yep, you should be learning it in level 1. The front push kick, or front kick to a vertical target. Almost like the kick to break through a door?

craig-p

Like John said, in level 1 we have Front Kick to a Vertical Target, which is made with the ball of the foot and punches straight out. This kick is used to penetrate the target causing damage and most likely bending the opponent over leaving them vulnerable to more combatives. In level two we get Defensive Front Kick which is very similar but contact is made with the entire surface of the foot. This kick will stop an advancing opponent or push a close attacker away. With either kick you want to recoil quickly back to a fighting stance so you donít leave yourself open to attacks.

I’m gonna’ have to ask our instructor about that one… I was beginning to think we weren’t going to learn anything but kicks to the groin… (kidding, we’ve learned side kicks and a couple of others).

vwr32
    quote DirtyHippieUte:

(kidding, we’ve learned side kicks and a couple of others).

We haven’t done sidekicks lol.
    At least not while I was there.

I was looking over the curriculum and I think we did do front kick to a vertical target but we haven’t gone back to it or practiced it much… This is probably a reflection of our instructor’s preference for maximum impact and lowest risk (i.e. kicking above the waist isn’t usually worth it).

I’m going to have to ask him about it. I’ve been sparring with a TKD friend and that front kick is kind of a pain in my arse. I’d like to get a better idea of how to throw it so I have a better idea what to look for and how to stuff it.

I think the reason we’ve done side kicks is because our instructor sprinkles some level 2 stuff in as we progress so we’re not always doing the same thing over and over.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Iím a big proponent of the front leg push kick to get an opponent off you and to use it as a jab almost to remind him of your range. I also tend to like to follow up with a back leg round house or front push kick step down to close the gap 1-2 combo.

But thats just me abx

kpalena

hehe….wait until you start the “absorbing” defence against a low round kick……. Fun (limp) times (limp)…

bull1189

Re: Front Kick

quote kpalena:

hehe….wait until you start the “absorbing” defence against a low round kick……. Fun (limp) times (limp)…

Yeah, stand the hell by for these . . . .

kpalena

not to hijack…but where the ell do you study Krav in Moscow???

bull1189

Krav Maga of Moscow. It just opened at the end of the Summer. http://www.kravmagamoscow.com

kpalena

Sweet…I wonder who opened it.

Of all the places…. KRAV ON THE PALOUSE

marz

(2 cents) If you ever get into weapons training, the front push kick is a key technique in creating distance with an advancing opponent, especially for “use of force” issues, he’s unarmed and your holding your M16, M4, etc.

kravmdjeff

The level 1 kick (front kick/vertical target), you actually want to avoid a pushing motion in favor of a penetrating, punching motion. That’s why you want to use the smallest striking surface available (ball of foot) You want to do damage, not just create space. The defensive front kick, in Level 2, is the pushing kick, in which you ARE trying to create space and you want to maximize the striking surface area so that you spread the impact out a bit and move the attacker back.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: