Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Glucosamine Pain Management

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    kmman

Is anyone using Glucosamine (or anything) for pain management? Not referring to bumps and bruises but overall pain management from tight muscles, lack of flexibility etc. Us old folk need to know what, if anything, is being used.

nixxon

Re: Glucosamine Pain Management

I’ve tried it regularly for 3 months and havn’t really seen any improvement on my shoulder injury (2 years old). However I’m a young buck, so your improvements might be more drastic than mine since your probably crumbling apart to start with….

Just kidding! *dodge*

kmman

quote Nixxon:

I’ve tried it regularly for 3 months and havn’t really seen any improvement on my shoulder injury (2 years old). However I’m a young buck, so your improvements might be more drastic than mine since your probably crumbling apart to start with….

Just kidding! *dodge*

I shouldnt be hearing creaks when I punch should I?:OhMy:

desert-strom

I’m not a real doctor but I play one at work…we have stethoscopes and everything. (I am a veterinarian.) So I will give you the current thinking on glucosamine from the animal side. (Much of which translates over to us human animals.)

Glucosamine and products like it are designed to replace or help in the production of PSGAGs. (polysulfated glycose amino glycans) These are some of the building blocks of joint cartilage. Joint cartilage damage sets off a cascade of events within the joint itself. The main enemy is inflammation. Long term inflammatory changes will cause erosive joint cartilage damage and set up a vicous cycle of continued inflammation and joint breakdown. The aim is to stop the inflammatory process and allow for joint repair. This is where glucasamine comes into play. The idea is to provide the poorly vascularized joint cartilage with the products necessary to preserve or possibly reconstruct the basic building blocks of healthy, smooth joint surfaces. Studies have shown that glucosamine sulfate is much more effective than glucosamine hydrochloride at doing this. Sulfated glucosamine is less stable, harder to produce and usually more expensive. Read labels carefully.

The best results in animals and humans have been with a multi-modal approach. Control inflammation with NSAIDs, volatile fatty acid supplements (fish oils and such – mostly Omega 6) and supplement with products like glucosamine. As fair as soft tissue pain relief? Don’t think there is much. Although a couple studies have shown an unknown mechanism of anti-inflammatory action with long term use at high doses. Best thing though…no long term toxicity problems known as of now.

Well, hope this helps. Perhaps more than you ever cared to know but its my area and I get pretty interested in these things.

kmman

So what are you saying, I should stretch more?:dunno:

Seriously…thanks for the info.

cav

quote desert strom:

I’m not a real doctor but I play one at work…we have stethoscopes and everything. (I am a veterinarian.) So I will give you the current thinking on glucosamine from the animal side. (Much of which translates over to us human animals.)

Glucosamine and products like it are designed to replace or help in the production of PSGAGs. (polysulfated glycose amino glycans) These are some of the building blocks of joint cartilage. Joint cartilage damage sets off a cascade of events within the joint itself. The main enemy is inflammation. Long term inflammatory changes will cause erosive joint cartilage damage and set up a vicous cycle of continued inflammation and joint breakdown. The aim is to stop the inflammatory process and allow for joint repair. This is where glucasamine comes into play. The idea is to provide the poorly vascularized joint cartilage with the products necessary to preserve or possibly reconstruct the basic building blocks of healthy, smooth joint surfaces. Studies have shown that glucosamine sulfate is much more effective than glucosamine hydrochloride at doing this. Sulfated glucosamine is less stable, harder to produce and usually more expensive. Read labels carefully.

The best results in animals and humans have been with a multi-modal approach. Control inflammation with NSAIDs, volatile fatty acid supplements (fish oils and such – mostly Omega 6) and supplement with products like glucosamine. As fair as soft tissue pain relief? Don’t think there is much. Although a couple studies have shown an unknown mechanism of anti-inflammatory action with long term use at high doses. Best thing though…no long term toxicity problems known as of now.

Well, hope this helps. Perhaps more than you ever cared to know but its my area and I get pretty interested in these things.

Thanks for the post. I started using glucosamine, and I found it made a significant difference in my knee joints. This is by far the best price I’ve found for it:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11245398&search=glucosamine&Mo=11&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=glucosamine&Ntt=glucosamine&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

and I believe it qualifies as glucosamine sulfate as opposed to glucosamine hydrochloride.

spartankrav

I’ve been using it for over a year. I have a narrowing of the joint space in one shoulder. It got aggravated doing too many dips. Once I got the inflammation out with 600mg ibuprofen (and laid off the dips) I started glucosamine sulfate. I haven’t missed a day of training because of my shoulder since. Now, was it laying off the dips or the glucosamine? Not totally sure but I did a ton of dips in conditioning class last night and the shoulder feels great.

Good luck

nixxon

quote spartankrav:

I’ve been using it for over a year. I have a narrowing of the joint space in one shoulder. It got aggravated doing too many dips. Once I got the inflammation out with 600mg ibuprofen (and laid off the dips) I started glucosamine sulfate. I haven’t missed a day of training because of my shoulder since. Now, was it laying off the dips or the glucosamine? Not totally sure but I did a ton of dips in conditioning class last night and the shoulder feels great.

Good luck

What brand did you use? I also have shoulder problems… maybe I just got a weak or non-quality brand.

My doctor gave me a shoulder MRI, and said the tissue is excellent, and he could go in there to shave the bone and give me more space, but this is a military doctor. So I’m not about to let him tear into me when my tissue is excellent.

karmaok

I use the Move Free from Costco. After month or so, knee pain was much better.

Jeff

kmtakinkm

My sister is a registered Pharmacist and she had our 70 year old father switch to “Fluid Joint” and he had a more noticeable positve reaction in his kness to that vs Glucosimine Condroitan.

Might be worth a try as you can always switch back. I think most say that you won’t feel the effects for 30+ days.

spartankrav

quote Nixxon:

What brand did you use? I also have shoulder problems… maybe I just got a weak or non-quality brand.

My doctor gave me a shoulder MRI, and said the tissue is excellent, and he could go in there to shave the bone and give me more space, but this is a military doctor. So I’m not about to let him tear into me when my tissue is excellent.

Nixxon,

Will check the brand and let you know when I get home tonight.

I was told that the same procedure could be in my future. Even though mine was civilian doc, I’m in no hurry for that one. I’ve just had to change a few things in non-KM workouts. I was told by my doc that dips and bench press can cause rubbing of the bones in the shoulder because of the position of your arms in those movements. Thus, I rarely bench and I cut back on dips. I’ve found plenty of other stuff to do instead of those. That was about a year ago and my shoulder has been great. I haven’t missed a push-up in class and havent been limited in KM or BJJ.

nixxon

quote spartankrav:

Nixxon,

Will check the brand and let you know when I get home tonight.

I was told that the same procedure could be in my future. Even though mine was civilian doc, I’m in no hurry for that one. I’ve just had to change a few things in non-KM workouts. I was told by my doc that dips and bench press can cause rubbing of the bones in the shoulder because of the position of your arms in those movements. Thus, I rarely bench and I cut back on dips. I’ve found plenty of other stuff to do instead of those. That was about a year ago and my shoulder has been great. I haven’t missed a push-up in class and havent been limited in KM or BJJ.

I think I’ve also just kind of let myself go in the shoulder department… because of the discomfort I don’t really workout shoulders and it probably caused an imbalance in my muscles which makes it worse.. they always feel weak, achey and stiff.

I’ve had it for about 2 years and it actually started from benching, so needless to say, I don’t bench, and dipping is just short of excruciating for me.

sanbaifo

Both my dog and I take glucosamine chondroitin msm. For humans I think the effective therapeutic dosage is 1500, 1500, 900.

spartankrav

quote Nixxon:

I think I’ve also just kind of let myself go in the shoulder department… because of the discomfort I don’t really workout shoulders and it probably caused an imbalance in my muscles which makes it worse.. they always feel weak, achey and stiff.

I’ve had it for about 2 years and it actually started from benching, so needless to say, I don’t bench, and dipping is just short of excruciating for me.

Nixxon,

The brand I take is Doctor’s Best Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM. http://www.drbvitamins.com. It is 750 mg glucosamine, 600 mg chondroitin, 500 mg MSM all in one.

Your situation sounds like me a year ago. My left shoulder was pretty much useless with any pusing movement. I could punch, but sometimes I would hit the pad in just the right way to make my shoulder throb. I’m not a doctor but I will play one in this thread – get the inflammation out with ibuprofen. My doc had me lay off certain movements (didn’t miss KM) and take 600 mg ibuprofen 3 times a day for a week, then 2 times a day for a week, then 1 per day. I’ve doing that same brand/dosage of glucosamine ever since.

Anyways, that is what worked for me. Hope it helps. Good luck to you.

vinman

I use “Joint Support Powder” made by Now

1 tablespoon per day in my protein shake

its pretty cheap as well…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: