Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    night-robin

I need a better Mouth Guard. I bought a Boil and Bite for 5 bucks at a sports store in the mall and while it serves it’s basic purpose, it has too many drawbacks. 1) It’s a bit too big and prevents me from closing my mouth completely. 2) It doesn’t help much when it comes to breathing. I’ve always had sinus trouble and breathing through my nose is possible but I’m always a tiny bit stopped up. So the less limited my breathing is the better. 3) I can’t talk with it in at all. Usually not a problem but if I need to say something to my partner it makes that imposible. This is a bigger problem if I have my gloves on and can’t get my Mouth Guard out to say what I need to say.

Anybody know of any good Mouth Guards that will eliminate or at the very least minimize these problems for me? I’d appreciate any help.

cjkrav

Re: Good Mouth Guard

I would check out http://www.shockdoctor.com

They have a large selection of quality products.

safetyal

Also take a look at Brain-Pad http://www.brainpads.com. It may not help the talking problem, but I found it will help with the breathing issue. Walmart sells a cheaper version of it, so you can try it out before investing in one of the high quality ones.

bradm

If the boil and bite one is too big, you can usually trim them to fit your mouth before boiling and biting. I fond I was able to breath through the mouth and talk with them also. I’ve also used the shock doctor. It is an excellent mouth piece. The one I used is thicker and I had difficulty talking with it. It has a hole in the front to help with breathing which is good. However, I found siliva to be a problem. I found the siliva build up in the mouth had a tendency to shoot out the hole when brathing hard. Not nice for your opponent. Overall, the shock doctor is a better mouth guard in that it is designed to help prevent knockouts. No guarantee on that either.

inky

I use a shockdoctor pro max gel, Big 5 for $10. i had problems getting enough air as i have just quit smoking and after i boiled and fit it i used my dremel to drill 3 holes in it, works great. So just find one that you like the fit and DIY the holes, i have no problem having it in for 2 classes in a row without any need to remove or adjust it at all, breathing, speaking, protection, fit and comfort are all there.
    Hope that helps.

Oh 1 thing i do get excess saliva as well, i just find myself swallowing more often as not to spit on my partner, it’s kinda gross and it is a drawback but it is acceptable for me.

night-robin

Thanks for all the replies. I’m gonna give the ShockDoctor a try.

smokelaw1

And, if you’ve tried EVERYTHING and just can’t get one that fits right, allows you to breathe, talk and do all that other nifty stuff, and IF the price doesn’t make you gag….fightdentist custom guards are fantastic. I’ve been wearing one for a little over a year, and I LOVE IT. Fantastic product, great service, and I’ve been very happy.

kirsten

Bam mouth guards are good also, but I just use shockdoctor… very easy to use. Bas keeps trying to get us to do a custom, but its hard to get in and get it fitted. If you can do one, I hear they are the way to go.

jaspthecat

I use the Shock Doctor ultra and am happy with it.

I’ve decided to go custom though as I want something that is tailor made for me and I would prefer to spend a bit more money and retain my winning smile.

smokelaw1

quote Kirsten:

Bam mouth guards are good also, but I just use shockdoctor… very easy to use. Bas keeps trying to get us to do a custom, but its hard to get in and get it fitted. If you can do one, I hear they are the way to go.

Kirsten,

Unless Bas has a specific place in mind that he recommends you go, there are a few (I think) ways to go about it where you do your own impression. The fightdentist guard I have comes with really
    simple to follow instructions for getting your impression, then you mail it in. Sorry if I sound like a sales rep for them…I really have no involvement other than as a very satisfied user.

mouthguards

Hi guys,
    I would like to share my good experience with Fortress Mouthguards.
    Fortress Mouthguards are manufactured by Race Dental, Sydney‘s largest dental laboratory. Quality of our work with a network of dentists across Australia, they are supplying high-quality mouthguards to all Australians. Fortress Mouthguards have the custom-fitted, high-protection mouth guard solution for players of all types of sport. For details one can visit: http://www.fortressmouthguards.com.au

hicklinc

well most the people on here live in the usa so the fortress wont apply

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: