Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    sexybaldman

Man, I am finding some good krav vids on the net. 🙂

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdT1G2unENA&NR

any comments?

dkolb

well… its a clip from the DVDs KMAA put out. features Darren Levine, Howard Mallen, Wade Allen and Jarret Waldman demonstrating – all black belts (and then some) from the NTC. what do you think?

clfmak

That seems to be the basics of kicking from the ground- feet towards the opponent, hands and feet compressed to attack with. We do a progression drill where one person is on the ground and one person walks around them with a kicking shield. If the bag holder gets in kicking range, they should be getting hit. The bag holder tries to get around the person’s feet to their head/neck area. The next progression is where the bag holder also gets a foam covered bat and will attack, so the defendr must kick and also block with the legs. Lastly, the same drill is done with a focus mitt and a bat so the target becomes a more realistic size to represent a shin, kneecap, chin, throat, solar plexis, groin etc.

There’s an interesting groundkicking video here:
    http://user21165.websitewizard.com/files/unprotected/AlPoliceMilGround.mov
    This video clip has been bashed on some sites, so its useful to clarify some details. First of all, the attackproof methods don’t recommend going to the ground and rolling all over to fight- the strategy is to stay standing, and if you fall, kick and stay mobile so that you can get up, avoid multiple opponents, and run. The man in the video is demonstrating what that variety of groundfighting looks like, and is thus isolating himself to that type of motion- in reality, he would most likely get up as fast as possible and run away or get up to fight with strikes. If you’re interested in the methodology, I recommend the book- less expensive, same stuff as the videos. The underlying idea is that because fighting is chaotic, you should train outside of fixed paterns and learn to be very adaptive and fluid, so most of the focus is no freestyle drills governed by a few principles. I practiced religiously for like two years, then kind of drifted towards other things. If you decide to look at the drills, you can’t neglect the fast chaotic ones in favor of the slow flowing ones.

anonymous

So, for the ground fighting drill, you simulate being attacked with a bat while on the ground? How would you be able to block a bat from that position (especially if he swings at the legs and knees, any attempted block would probably hurt a lot). Or do you just try to keep him away with kicks, so he never gets into range to hit you?

clfmak

Here’s some more:
    http://user21165.websitewizard.com/files/unprotected/GROUND_DEMO_MIKE1.mov

http://user21165.websitewizard.com/files/unprotected/STICK_knife.mp4

Honestly, I never got too into the kicking methodology here. I’ve spent more time on submission grappling for ground fighting. I can see the value, though.

evo8

kinda looks like crappy break dancing.

anonymous

Yeah, the KM clip is from the DVDs. Can they legally put that on youtube?

clfmak

The bat is one of those foam covered numbers. It’s not supposed to simulate a bat specifically- it is just there to simulate various angles of attack and to get people used to blocking something using the feet.

Other groundfighting kicks not mentioned on the krav clip that are good:
    -thrusting the inside edge of the foot with the toes pointed outward- to kick the knee or shin
    -if the opponent reaches down to grab or strike you from a standing position, seize his arm with both hands. Push into his hip with one foot. These two things put him in an awkward position. From there, use your other foot to stomp under his chin like a front kick. Repeat kick as necessary. I’m a big fan of this one. Someone posed a scenario where you’re on the ground and someone’s above you pointing a gun in your face. This was the first thing to pop into my head- redirecting and controlling the weapon and doing the above.

Any other thoughts on good kicks from the ground?

anonymous

Yes, that may be a good counter for gun from the ground. We have dome something similar a few times (defending a gun attack from the ground), however not recently, so I’m not sure about the specific first counter, but maybe a kick to the groin? I guess we try to get up as quickly as possible, while making sure not to get back into the line of fire.

For ground defenses in general, I like kicks to the shin and knees. If you are kicking too high and are not careful, it may be easier for the attacker to grab your foot and pull it past him, enabling him to mount.

By the way, what’s a good way to defend round kicks to the legs when you are on the ground? You see this sometimes in MMA matches, one guy is on the ground, both legs up, the guy who is standing is throwing round kicks to the legs. Most of the time, the defender seems to just absorb the kicks. I wonder how painful they are, if they hit you from that position.

clfmak

If the opponent tries a kick to your legs, you may be able to counter with a more direct kick to his groin (a front kick most likely). This can work standing up as well- it puts the opponent off balance for the kick because he’s on one leg and the kick usually makes the upper body move forward, robbing the roundhouse kick of its power (also, getting kicked in the groin just plain hurts usually). Using the same principle but applying it to the ground, you could intercept with a more direct kick to the standing leg as soon as the foot leaves the ground- stomping into the knee or shin to take out their support. If you’re not quick enough, you could block with the leg and kick the groin as the round kick makes contact. As the kick contacts or is blocked, you can drop the heel (ax kick) onto the instep of the person, maybe scraping down the shin in the process (not a fight stopper, but it hurts, mostly with the right shoes). It might open up the line of attack to the groin again, or make them pick up their foot, giving you the option of attacking the supporting leg again (or they might just step back, giving you other options, like getting up, throwing a rock, etc). These aren’t really useful in MMA, though. In that instance, I’d say it would probably be a good idea to try and intercept the shin with your kneecap as to cause pain, also like you might do standing up (and the kicks to the standing leg/foot may be an option).

clfmak

Oh, the part with the dropping of the heel is after your kick is blocked or makes contact, not his- so you can kick to the groin and bring the foot down from there.

anonymous

Those are some good ideas, thanks. I’ll think about implementing those.

anonymous

CLFMak,

What do you think about those little tripping motions one could use while being on the ground against a standing attacker? They sometimes show ways to use your own legs to hook one of the attacker’s leg, then pull and push and make him fall that way (one of your legs is behind his heel, the other in front against his knee). This can also be done to the side (a type of scissor motion to one of his legs).

Would you find that practical in a fight, or would you rather use your legs for strong kicks to prevent him from getting too close?

johnwhitman

Both. Use your legs to kick, create distance, etc. first. If he comes in close and the opportunity arises, try tripping him.

anonymous

How realistic do you think it would be to pull off such a trip (especially if the attacker is bigger)? I guess one would need to practice it more to get really good at it, but one thing I’d be worried about is that, as I’m trying to pull off the trip, my attention may be diverted and I may end up giving him a better chance to pass my guard and then he’ll be on top of me. Also, I’m not really hurting him as I’m going for the trip. So maybe it’s something to try quickly and if it doesn’t work go back to moving (keeping him in the guard) or punching/kicking?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: