Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Ground work on the Level 1 Curriculum

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tommya

Can anyone provide a link to a video or a good description of the movement, getting up, and front kick techniques that are listed under the ground work section on my level 1 curriculum. I’m drawing a complete blank. Any guidance is much appreciated!

tommya

Re: Ground work on the Level 1 Curriculum

At second glance my question is kind of sucky. Sorry about that. To be more to the point, can anyone descirbe the sequence of events that should be followed to get up from a basic ground defense position. Specifically, do you kick and then rock forward or rock forward and then kick? Does this change depending on whether you’re on your back or on your side?

jstrauss

From the few hours of ground work training I’ve had during my level 1 training (I’m still level 1), there’s no rocking involved. If you’re on your back, you throw your kick, and while you’re recoiling you plant your hands on your kicking leg side, crunch up, bring your kicking leg that you’re recoiling underneath you as you press up with your hands and end up in fight stance. From what I know, this is one of the few times you ever move backward in krav. I believe the basics are the same if you’re on your side, but I’m not sure about that.

stevetuna

Jstrauss is pretty close on this. Let’s assume that you are kicking with your right foot for this discussion. After you kick, bring your kicking foot (right) back to the ready to kick again position. Your left foot is on the ground, heel right next to your butt. Your right arm is then extended with your right palm on the ground. This gives you two points of contact with the ground at this point – left foot, right hand.

Keeping your left hand up in front of your face for defensive purposes, lean forward (sitting up) as you push yourself up with your left foot and right hand. Quickly swing your right leg under and then behind your body (move it in a “C” pattern). As soon as your right foot is behind you and touching the ground, pop yourself up into your fighting stance.

If you get a chance, pick up the book, “The Complete Krav Maga” by Darren Levine and John Whitman. They did a great job describing and illustrating these things, as well as providing a great history of Krav Maga. Also, “The Beginner’s Guide to Krav Maga” by those two, plus Ryan Hoover, will help you so much to establish a solid foundation.

Good luck to you!

mara-jade

Welcome to the forum!

I see you got help (thanks y’all!!). Steve is quite right – both books are excellent!

Good luck on your training and let us know how you’re doing:wav:

phlegmon27

The books are a great resource. If you are at Steve’s school, just ask Gina to show you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: