Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kevinmack

Is this technique actually being taught by KMWW?
    (technique is near the end of video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEDHKdoy2XQ

bear34

Re: gun defense question

I study with IKMF myself. It looks contrary to anything that I have been taught.

lions2011

Sorry I have not advanced far enough to cover guns yet.
    Still in level 1-2 and will be for awhile.

kirk

I don’t see anything wrong with what Christian was teaching in that Gun defense. It follows the principles of R.C.A.T. (Redirect, Control, Attack, Take away).

The attack looks different from the standard Gun from the Front attack but another Instructor more familiar with higher level gun defenses should speak on this.

– Kirk

observe783

I agree with Kirk, it follows the principles. It’s definitely a risky scenario (as are all gun defenses), the control position definitely puts you at higher risk of re-entering the line of fire if the gunman pulls back. And I personally don’t like that first take away, but that’s just me. It may work awesome for others but I generally use the second option.

If the attackers other forearm wasn’t pressed up against the chest/throat then a number of other defenses would probably work but with that arm there your movement on that side is really limited, and trying to move that arm far enough for a redirection would mean moving that shoulder…. which would be pretty hard with that pressure.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Answerng this queston myself is above my paygrade, however Its an option.

And no its not something that’s currently in our curriculum according to KL, KC or JW

ryan

I’m with CJ’s dad in that, yes, it’s an option. Not a fan of the takeaway, for sure. I don’t know the context for the technique, as it’s being taught here. Are there third party considerations? Is the gun pointed center of the body or is one side favored? How much pressure is being applied to the right shoulder?

greenbeanie

quote Ryan:

I don’t know the context for the technique, as it’s being taught here. Are there third party considerations? Is the gun pointed center of the body or is one side favored? How much pressure is being applied to the right shoulder?

All good points. The “gun threat with wall pin” depicted in the book Black Belt Krav Maga, page 51, shows that the gun is more to the left of the victim’s body (the short side) so the gun is redirected in that direction. In addition, the take away in the book is different from the two variations demonstrated in the video clip.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: