Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    happyloaf

We have done the gun defense a few times and I have a question. I am an avid shoot and fire mostly 9mm semi automatics. The slide seems like it is going pretty fast and could do some massive damage to hand that grabs it….

So my question is has anyone grabbed the slide of a semi auto when it is fired? What kind of damage was caused? The instructor believes that it will tear you hand up and cause a jam (which I think it has the potential to do if it affects the ejecting and loading of a new round).

Re: Gun defense question

quote Happyloaf:

We have done the gun defense a few times and I have a question. I am an avid shoot and fire mostly 9mm semi automatics. The slide seems like it is going pretty fast and could do some massive damage to hand that grabs it….

So my question is has anyone grabbed the slide of a semi auto when it is fired? What kind of damage was caused? The instructor believes that it will tear you hand up and cause a jam (which I think it has the potential to do if it affects the ejecting and loading of a new round).

Actually, both Brent W and I have tried it. In my case, it was not painful, but it did smart a bit. Even though I was ready for the shot, it still startled me. In both cases, it caused a malfunction, as the slide was not able to move to the rear and eject the spent case.

giant-killer

Has anyone with very small hands ever tried it? Might it make a difference?

alamocitykid

quote Jeremy Stafford:

Actually, both Brent W and I have tried it. In my case, it was not painful, but it did smart a bit. Even though I was ready for the shot, it still startled me. In both cases, it caused a malfunction, as the slide was not able to move to the rear and eject the spent case.

Interesting!! I’ve heard talk among gun folks, but have never known anyone that has actually done it. Have you tried to move the slide to take it “out of battery” and prevent the gun from firing?

quote Alamocitykid:

Interesting!! I’ve heard talk among gun folks, but have never known anyone that has actually done it. Have you tried to move the slide to take it “out of battery” and prevent the gun from firing?

Yes, It works. I’ve done it into an old sand filled dragging dummy. The slide only needed to be very slightly out of battery on my Glock, S&W 4506, and my 1911. That is why we encourage a small revolver for a backup gun, you can’t put it out of battery on a contact shot.

brentw

It was the noise that got to me. The concussion was startling but not bad. No cuts, no burns even. I am still curious about that demo with the revolver. A hot dog does not have the same consistency as a hand/finger. I would like to see it on a cadaver or pig part.

andy-m

G’day Guys,

Just saw this post and thought I might share a youtube link with you.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7qMlsr2XjcE

Not a bad little video overall, and starting at the 0:40 mark there is a demo of Gabi Noah firing an automatic while one of his students grips the slide, per the standard gun defence technique. He then shows the hand after the shot. There is no apparent damage and there is visible residue.

Hope this is of adds to the value of the previous posters.

Regards,

Andy

happyloaf

Wow thanks guys!

eric-joyce

quote Jeremy Stafford:

Hello Jeremy,

Have you ever tried the gun disarm by grabbing and controlling the wrist versus the side of the gun? Just curious. My fear, other than being shot of course, would be the sound and getting my hand burned or pinched in the slide (which may cause me to drop the gun). But if the adrenaline is pumping, that may not matter.

giant-killer

For those who have tried the gun redirection with a real gun and without ear plugs: Do you think that the noise was so intense and startling that it might have interfered with the rest of your defense in a real situation? Did it make you flinch or hesitate for just a moment or disorient you?

magnum

On an auot grabbng the slide would not hurt much unless you got some skin pinched in there. No where near the blast of a revolver. On an auto the casing will expand and fill the barrel forcing all of the pressure out of the barrel.

Just don’t get your hand behind the slide where it can “hit” you on recoil. Can leave a nasty cut. I know I would not hesitate in a life or death situation.

jarett

Good thread. I’ve often wondered that myself.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: