Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Had my first Sparring session tonight

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    usnavy-233

Most important thing I learned: I’m not as fast with 16oz gloves on!

Second most important thing: tuck chin, tuck chin, tuck chin, TUCK CHIN!

Third: I’m really not as fast as I’d like to be with 16oz gloves on!!

So, how long do the stars last??

No really, it was nice to start sparring. Some points I took away from it were to try to work the angles more, try to work floating in and out of the pocket, and most importantly for me was that I need to defend the incoming strikes BEFORE I try to counter them. Made for an interest couple rounds. Lots of fun though.

njl

The only thing I have on my fellow students is that I can hit with my 16’s… but they still kick the shit out of me.

😀

I use my 16’s for everything, i don’t even use my 10’s for anything… i’m also hesitant on using my MMA gloves unless they make me (they made us use them last night fighting… a la UFC – we were all dead afterward)….

jasonm

Very cool Navy. Glad you had fun..

hey, can you believe my \”good intentions…Not shared post was deleted?

Can you find it? cuz i can’t.

kravjeff

I absolutely love sparring – What I’ve learned (at least in theory – Have yet to have much success putting it into practice) is that angles, fluidity and staying relaxed are very important as are, continuous movement (both footwork and bobbing/weaving), and always throwing combinations …

It’s a lot to try to do at once, especially without a lot of experience. However, when I spar against someone who can do it all, I can see (and feel) why it works!!!

Welcome to the FIGHT CLUB! 😈

KJ

anonymous

Yeah, that thread is gone….

jasonm

oh well what a bummer. Silenced again… 🙁

To bad I couldn’t have sparred with you Walt. You gurly man. lol

usnavy-233

Re:

quote \”JasonM\:

oh well what a bummer. Silenced again… 🙁

To bad I couldn’t have sparred with you Walt. You gurly man. lol

Come on J, think about it. Would you really have wanted to have left in an ambulance?? Do the math little man!! 😈

\”What I’ve learned (at least in theory – Have yet to have much success putting it into practice) is that angles, fluidity and staying relaxed are very important as are, continuous movement (both footwork and bobbing/weaving), and always throwing combinations … \”

Jeff, now that you mention it, I didn’t bob and weave at all either! I’ve got allot of learning to do is this arena.

kravjeff

We sparred a bit tonight – Did mostly defensive work and we were able to really focus on movement. It was great practice.

If you have someone to work with, just put the gloves on (and at least a mouthpiece – better w/headgear) and take turns going lightly (20-30%, but fast) defending against first just a straight right, then just a straight left, then combos, then add hooks. When defending, incorporate both the defense, and your movement … Use your hands, slip punches, bob/weave, etc … You’ll get hit some, but going lightly makes it less intimidating. Go 30 seconds to 1 minute each before switching and do 2 or 3 minute rounds, with 1 minute rest in between. It’s a great drill, and good for conditioning too!

I’m learning that these things come from experience. You can’t take your training in Krav and expect to be great at sparring – I’m nowhere close to where I’d like to be, but think I’m improving a little each time.

usnavy-233

Thanks for the training tip. I’ll have to try that out some time.

kravjeff

Should have added that this drill emphasizes working on vision – The rest is a bonus!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: