Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Hand/Eye coordination drills

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    raneman

Ok I am trying to increase my hand/eye coordination a bit for defense and boxing skills and I was wondering if anyone could point me to some good recommended drills. I am interested in it more for reaction to being punched that anything because right now I am missing punches in my defense and I don’t think I should be blocking with my face lol.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: Hand/Eye coordination drills

quote Raneman:

Ok I am trying to increase my hand/eye coordination a bit for defense and boxing skills and I was wondering if anyone could point me to some good recommended drills. I am interested in it more for reaction to being punched that anything because right now I am missing punches in my defense and I don’t think I should be blocking with my face lol.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Heres an old drill that I used to use.

Get a tennis ball and mount it to a beam in the garage a few feet from the wall hanging from a string a little lower then eye level.

Open handed jab the ball slowly at first so it hits the wall and comes back at you.

Bob out of the way on the first bounce next bounce jab it back again. Eventually youíll be able to speed up and move around it with head movement and combos.

raneman

Sean,

Thanks for the idea. I will give it a try.

Pete

Sean
    Don’t be a wimp! Dave B and La Revancha use a 16 LB bowling ball with that drill! I personally use a cinderblock, and Brent W uses a VW Beetle.:Surprised:

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Jeremy Stafford:

Sean
    Don’t be a wimp! Dave B and La Revancha use a 16 LB bowling ball with that drill! I personally use a cinderblock, and Brent W uses a VW Beetle.:Surprised:

LOL what do I know – actually a swinging cinderblock isn’t a bad idea but it would be tough bouncing it off the wall.

This is where Jay99 steps in and says “No Sean no swinging cinderblock drills please!!”

leejam99

i sit at a table with a chop stick and try to catch flys with it. I’m sure no one has ever heard of this method but an old Sansei of mine taught it to me. He was Japanese and did Karate and loved Bonsai trees. I loved his training except he made me wear this funny head band and stand on top of a post at the beach on one leg and kick. I though it was a funny kick but i was able to use it on a bully name Johny at a tournament and I won!

Wow…my life story should be a moive.

craig-p

Danny is that you? Is it really you?

kmcat

quote leejam99:

i sit at a table with a chop stick and try to catch flys with it. I’m sure no one has ever heard of this method but an old Sansei of mine taught it to me. He was Japanese and did Karate and loved Bonsai trees. I loved his training except he made me wear this funny head band and stand on top of a post at the beach on one leg and kick. I though it was a funny kick but i was able to use it on a bully name Johny at a tournament and I won!

Wow…my life story should be a moive.

Speaking of Johnny:

http://kmforum.kravmaga.com/showthread.php?p=26152#post26152

raneman

heh ..figured I would share this since I asked. I told my g/f I was going to be working on drills for my hand/eye coordination so last night I come in from work and I am changing to go to the gym. She hits me in the head with an orange from across the room. I asked her why she hit me with an orange. “Hand/Eye coordination drill” then walked out of the room.

I guess I am going to be learning tha hard way at home 🙂

vwr32

quote Raneman:

heh ..figured I would share this since I asked. I told my g/f I was going to be working on drills for my hand/eye coordination so last night I come in from work and I am changing to go to the gym. She hits me in the head with an orange from across the room. I asked her why she hit me with an orange. “Hand/Eye coordination drill” then walked out of the room.

I guess I am going to be learning tha hard way at home 🙂

lol, at least you’re getting support at home.

Saw a small blurb in Mens Health Magazine a while back about research that showed playing video games improves hand/eye coordination. I’m putting xbox 360 on my xmas list. It’s not for fun mind u… it’s for my safety. 🙂

raneman

I can just see it now. “Hey honey can you take out the trash?” “Not right now I am working on my hand/eye coordination playing XBox..you know my personal safety is at risk”

That right there might be why we learn knife defense :O

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: