Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Hand wraps, Harbingers or Nothing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    joewags

Curious about what prople are wearing on their hands, and why? Thanks for your replies.

Joe

joewags

Let’s try that again….What are people 😳 wearing on their hands? Thanks again!

Joe

kurtuan

I don’t wear anything on my hands unless I’m sparring in which case I wear boxing gloves, or if I’m doing heavy bag work in which case I’ll wear bag gloves. I feel that the wrist wraps may hinder wrist development, but you do take the risk of injuring your wrists without them. Personal preference I guess.

topitbull

Handwraps for wrist support, and MMA gloves on top for knuckle protection.

Wrist development may be hindered, but when you are wearing the protective gear, you can hit harder without worrying, which leads to increased strength speed, and muscle development.

ktulu

I wear wraps for bag or pad work and under the boxing gloves for sparring. Wraps can be a PIA when working on defenses like chokes, bear hugs, etc. as they tend to unwrap and are slow to remove. On the other hand they are a heck of a lot cheaper then bag gloves.

wyatt9696

mainly Harbinger wrist wrap gloves for me, and wraps every now and then.

leftie79

I use to wear handwraps for about the first year I was in krav. I finally stopped wearing them and have done my training without.

jt

I did the same thing Leftie did… started out with the wraps for the first few months. Then I invested in the harbinger gloves and used those for the remainder of my first year. Then I quit wearing hand protection all-together once I had built up my wrist strength and had good punching technique. I went several years after that without any wrist/knuckle protection and never had any problems.

armor-all

It depends on the workout. For Krav and Bas workouts, I generally prefer boxing gloves sans wraps, although wearing wraps helped me get through Phase C with a sprained thumb. For Muay Thai and Boxing workouts, I always use wraps. For MMA, I wear a pair of the King of the Cage gloves from Ouano.

jaeroo

\”Everlast \”boxing gloves
    \”Harbinger\” MMA gloves
    \”Everlast\” hand wraps

la-revancha

Go with Fairtex. Best line out there IMO.
    http://www.fairtex.com

joewags

Thank you all for your replies and La Revancha, that’s a nice link. I have a follow up question……how do you all keep your gear clean? I train at least 4-5 times/week for 2-4 hours/per and my gear gets pretty sweaty. I hang dry it every night and soak it in a mild detergent once a week but my hands still smell like sh. 😯 .t at the end of the night. Any hygenist out there?
    Joe

armor-all

Once the gloves start to smell there’s little you can do, unfortunately. I’ll spray them every nite with a can of Lysol \”Clean Linen Scent\” spray, when things get bad, and them put them under a ceiling fan to dry quicker.

You can also get a set of glove dogs from Ringside:
    http://www.ringside.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=GDOG&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=2

If you start using the glove dogs immediately and religiously after you buy a new pair of gloves, it takes a lot longer for them to begin stinking.

And, a cheap bottle of hand sanitizer in your gym bag will go a long way. Your training partners will appreciate you for it, paticularly when you are practicing chokes and headlock from the side.

la-revancha

Lysol, eh? I’ll have to try that. My head gear is nasty right now. Makes me feel like Xipe Totec when I put it on.Plus my shinpads could double for rusty Conquistador artifacts.

jerry68

Being a former boxer, wristwraps are a must for me. As for gear, I have doubles of everything and rotate it. This is more expensive in the short term, but I have found that by spending twice as much up front, it will save you twice as much in the long run.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: