Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Personal Gear Discussion Handgun for Training

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    enceladus

Hello All!

New to these forms, but been training in Krav for about a year and a half. My Dad and I go to the range occasionally and I was thinking about getting a gun of my own instead of borrowing his all the time.

I was also thinking it would be nice if the gun I shoot with is something that was very common on the street. The logic being that if I ever had to use the gun disarms in class in real life, I imagine that would be a pretty high stress situation, and I would like to have at least a passing familiarity with the weapon pulled on me in case I have to use it once I disarm.

Now, full disclosure, I know nothing about guns, at all. But from what little I’ve learned from the internet (always a trustworthy source) most handgun crimes seem to involve semi-automatic handguns vs revolvers. So I’m wondering what the major styles of semi-autos there are. Seems like there’s a lot of 1911 and Beretta 92 variations. Are they’re other types I should be aware of? Keep in mind, I’m not looking for the “best” type of handgun, I want the one that’s most common. What’s a gun that’s most likely to be in the hands of a mugger?

Or am I maybe overthinking this? Would familiarity with any kind of handgun be fine? Are there too many variations out there for anything to be considered “common?”

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

idbl-fanatic

Re: Handgun for Training

All Simi’s work in the same way (Desert Eagle is an exception, but the mechanics are the same)

The cartridge discharges, pushing the slide back, and expelling the empty.

You want to grab the slide, and hold on, it may go off, but if you have a firm grip on it, it will not be able to load another round.

Revolvers on the otherhand…the cylinder revolves, so you will need to focus on grabbing that, and preventing it from spinning.

With that said, you can pick up training guns on eBay for cheap. That is where I got mine.

kmyoshi

Why not just go to a shooting range and work with a variety of different guns rather than pigeonholing yourself by buying a gun merely for training purposes?

In regards to the revolver/cylinder based guns, if you grab the cylinder, the escaping gasses will most likely burn your hand/fingers if not worse blow it off. Better than getting shot… but something to keep in mind. It’s unfortunately not as safe as grabbing a semi-automatic’s slide. The cylinder is the ideal place to grab it as it stops the cylinder from revolving, and thus stopping another round from being able to go off.

ashleygull

Not to resurrect a dead thread but after much deliberation, etc I decided to get a Century Bob xl. Picked up a like-new one from Craigslist for half price this weekend. I should have little more space in the garage than I thought so I’m probably going to also get a bag on a free-standing stand to supplement the Bob for more kicking, etc.

quote idbl_fanatic:

Revolvers on the otherhand…the cylinder revolves, so you will need to focus on grabbing that, and preventing it from spinning.

If you love your fingers, please do not do this. When a semiauto pistol fires, almost all of the gas and pressure goes through the barrel. When a revolver fires, some of it comes out through the gap between the cylinder and the barrel. Trying to grab the cylinder is a great way to lose some fingers when the trigger gets pulled.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: