Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I’m thinking of trying KM for the first time, however I have a slightly weakened bone in my right forearm from a previous cyst. Are hard blocks to the wrist or forearm common in KM?

aviatordave

Re: Hard Wrist Blocks

Yes, there are some when you start practicing the 360 defense. But don’t let that stop you. Your instructors will have suggestions on how you can work around it. There are people in my classes with bad knees. They just modify some techniques a little bit, it’s no big deal.

phlegmon27

You can also purchase forearm pads from Revgear.

http://www.revgear.com/product/189/krav_maga_sparring_gear_cloth

Yes – the 360 defense blocking is a ‘foundation’ KM technique..

It hurts less the more you do it though..

If its uncomfortable or you have a condition – the forearm guards seem a good idea

phlegmon27

If he had/has a bone cyst, it’s not about being uncomfortable. The arm is structurally weakened. I don’t think u.r. is looking to avoid pain, but to avoid a broken forearm.

Get the pads.

aviatordave

quote phlegmon27:

If he had/has a bone cyst, it’s not about being uncomfortable. The arm is structurally weakened. I don’t think u.r. is looking to avoid pain, but to avoid a broken forearm.

Get the pads.

Correct. They don’t even necessarily cause any pain. Some don’t. Well, unless of course you broke it. That would suck.

Check with an orthopedist, even with pads you may want to avoid hard blocks with that forearm.

kirsten

For sure tell your partner so they can lighten the attacks on that side. No sense in breaking bones in training if you can prevent it. Secondly, look into a good forearm pad. The Revgear one’s are good but you may want to invest in one that offers both a better fit and more protection. McDavid HexPad Armsleeve protector available at most sporting goods stores or at http://www.mcdavidusa.com. Or you may find something at the local sporting good store for football, soccer or other sport that works. Just keep in mind it should have a soft exterior so you don’t injury your training partner.

aviatordave

These’ll work too :OhMy::

kirsten

Dave you read my mind!! LMAO

unstpabl1

quote AviatorDave:

These’ll work too :OhMy::

Just part of dave’s everyday wear, though the nights get more exotic:dunno:

michaelmall

You west coast guy’s need help.

trish

I have the exact same problem in my left wrist. I wear a brace to give support and absorb some of the impact when we work our 360 and inside defenses. It still hurts, but the brace helps with the instability. The plus for you is that most people are right handed so you’ll be defending with your left hand/arm the majority of the time.

But by all means, don’t let it keep you from training, just work within any limitations you might have. Your instructors and partners will help you tailor your training to suit your needs.

aviatordave

I wish I’d bought a pair of those spiked gauntlets for last night. We did inside and 360 defenses for 30 minutes and the muscles above my wrist are all lumpy now. lol.

quote Trish:

I have the exact same problem in my left wrist. I wear a brace to give support and absorb some of the impact when we work our 360 and inside defenses. It still hurts, but the brace helps with the instability. The plus for you is that most people are right handed so you’ll be defending with your left hand/arm the majority of the time.

But by all means, don’t let it keep you from training, just work within any limitations you might have. Your instructors and partners will help you tailor your training to suit your needs.

Trish;

do you have a link to where you bought your brace or something similar?. I think someone above suggested pads. I’m assuming what your talking about is different?

M-

leejam99

if you want to be a bit more discrete, try sweat bands. it can help a bit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: