Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Has anyone taken intro to fight in LA or Sherman Oaks?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I’d just like to hear what the class was like from someone who actually took it? What was your level of experience going in? Did you skip any classes? What were the other students and instructors like?

Thanks!

unstpabl1

Re: Has anyone taken intro to fight in LA or Sherman Oaks?

I took it as at the invite of Intro Fight instructor Sean Amerson a couple of years back. I should say at the insistance of Sean.

I was in at what i thought was my worst shape at the time, a little worse nowrofl2I posted about it after the class here in detail if you want to search for it.

I’ve been involved in a lot of Martial art classes, but I personally feel it was the Best Martial Art Class I Ever Took. The reason was they started from the footwork and worked it up through the full combo, by using evolutions. Meaning first you learn and practice with the footwork, next evolution add the jab, next right, next evolution add the kick etc

I don’t take krav currently and I’m not a cheerleader, but I’ve had a lot of contact with KMSO, the instructors and the students. I think it’s one of the absolute best places to train and the people are better

My condition was Poor and I kept up. The students were a mixed bag, some timid, some aggressive, but all were considerate and helpful. The instruction was great and I’d had prior training at some very good schools, not that I could show it.. yeah I’m impressed with KMSO and Krav, but the truth is…theyt earned it

The only thing I can say is forget about asking others for opinions and just try the class. Can’t tell the tempature of the pool til’ y’all jumps’ in.thumbsup If you’ve already tried it and have question ask here…plenty will help, as well as if you have a specific concern

Hope this helps. Be well

Mike

dkatman

I have been through intro to fight in West LA a few times…mostly in stages (It reminds me of all of those years in the second grade).

I have taken an entire 10 week track and I have taken the track again with missing a week or two while completing.

Let’s be serious: EVERY instructor that would teach this track at either of these two centers is going to be top notch.

I have mostly taken it with Junior. I did have Sean sub for Junior at one class.

I am pretty certain I was at least in Level 2 classes at the time I started. For me, I really thought it was good to have the experience of being in level 2 classes (not necessarily completed and in Level 3) before starting the classes. I am sure you could still be fine without this. But I do think there is a level of competence from having completed some level 2 instruction (and level 1 test) that prepared me a little better for intro to fight. That said, it did take an even pace that progress at a steady rate. I just think knowing the four punch combination and basic leg defenses helped a whole lot in feeling comfortable going forward.

Most all of the other students were pretty good ( their mentality). You see that people you work with have different paces. The instructors did well in maintaining a mellow environment that everyone could learn from. It was not about going in and trying to take someone’s head off. But people do get excited when someone is throwing punches at you (even at 50%). The instructors will caution to slow down and maintain control, even step in if necessary. Some people will go a little harder than others. I think I tended to go harder against people I knew more and we knew each others ability. And that was still reasonable. And yes, some people will go harder than you may want. It is a comfortable environment to say “Hey. can you slow it down a bit?” And more than that, it is more likely the instructor will say so before you need to.

Overall, the classes did follow a progression. It is a good idea to take the track through.

Now having said all that, I have been told that they have been very excited about the fighting program and some new things they were going to be doing with it. I don’t know what this is. And I wasn’t told too much, other than it was going to be awesome.

Dave

kirsten

I know what it is… And everyone is going to LOVE it!!! How can you NOT? Its Sean and Kevin!! 🙂

leejam99

Kevin was my first fight instructor at KMSO and the best!

I finally tried out the Intro to Fight Class tonight in W. LA with Chris Hunt. I can’t usually do Monday nights, but tonight my schedule opened up and I heard that it was the first class. It was a really cool class. I intend to take everyone’s advice and jump right into the Sherman Oaks class with Kevin. Thanks for the encouragement.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: