Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    silcvalkrav

So it’s been over a year since I’ve trained in Krav, worked out with weights, really done anything. I moved away from the Silicon Valley to the East Coast, and just recently found a school teaching Krav in my area. It kicked my butt tonight, and then some. I felt like I have lost everything I learned over the years. ( I was a green belt). I was slow, flexibility gone, forgot a lot of the self defense moves, and…I could go on.

Guess I’m feeling sorry for myself. Any words of encouragement? Wil my Krav skills and sparring skills all come back? I have a LOT of work to do!!!!

kravmdjeff

Silcval-

First, it’s good that you’re being honest about the loss of previous skills. Train hard, and they’ll come back. You didn’t lose everything, so you’re not starting from ground zero as though you were a new student (though perhaps it may benefit to approach it that way mentally).

Second, it’s a good for all self-defense practitioners to realize how perishable the skills are. Not just you, but anyone who takes an extended period of time off will lose some skills. That’s why people at the highest level of law enforcement and military are CONSTANTLY training.

Where on the east coast did you end up?

mara-jade

Re: Have I Lost it?

quote \”silcvalkrav\:

So it’s been over a year since I’ve trained in Krav, worked out with weights, really done anything. I moved away from the Silicon Valley to the East Coast, and just recently found a school teaching Krav in my area. It kicked my butt tonight, and then some. I felt like I have lost everything I learned over the years. ( I was a green belt). I was slow, flexibility gone, forgot a lot of the self defense moves, and…I could go on.

Guess I’m feeling sorry for myself. Any words of encouragement? Wil my Krav skills and sparring skills all come back? I have a LOT of work to do!!!!

silcvalkrav,

It’s been 2 months for me since I really trained KM and one month of that not going to class at all. My reasons – new schedule at home, sick, and me not training enough outside of class. I’m working on my green belt but not as much as I should be.

Like MDjeff said, you’re not starting from totally zip and neither am I. I think part of it is how badly do want it? Things happen so you just got get back in to the swing of things and train as much as you can.

That’s what I’m doing now – I’m starting from level 1 and reviewing the moves. I’m finding I’m not THAT out of it 😀 . It’s from 2 on up I need to give more emphasis.

Good luck and kick a$$!

straykat

I was out for almost 10 months due to knee surgery. Thought I was going to drop dead when I came back. I’m slowly getting my cardio back, the skills seem to be almost 100% ( at least that what my instructor and playmates say). I did put some weight on so that is not so pretty. My punches, blocks, ground work etc all seem back to BS (before surgery). My kicks are not as solid as I would like them to be. Not as fast. I wear a brace so that might be a factor. I’m happy to be where I am though. Stick it out.

calicogirl

Your muscles actually retain memory of previous workouts. So, that being said it should only take you half as long (if you stick it out) as it did the first time to get back to the place you left.

You have a goal! Stick it out and be proud of yourself!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: