Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    talktoazza

Hi everybody, I just joined the Forum and I have so many questions that I think I will be posting all day long. I was wondering, how many of you have had to utilize your Krav Maga skills in a real world setting? I have met a few people who are involved in the discipline, so I know it is effective, but have you found it effective?

thanks

Re: Have you ever

I’ve had to utilize it once and it worked AMAZINGLY. The drills have made everything second nature and the techniques are extremely effective… Especialy dealing with your typical street thugs.

There have been a bunch of times where I ended up avoiding fights by just moving into a modified fighting stance with my palms facing out and talking the situation down. It’s not aggressive enough to antagonize most potential attackers, but it does give them an initial “oh ****” reaction when they see you making a proactive response to their aggression.

J-

rq

Got into 2 fights last month and didn’t use any Krav at all … I would have hurt them too badly.

stevetuna

Once, on the job (I’m a police detective) and I was amazed at how automatic it was. One of our students was attacked and scored a KO on his attacker. The student said the same thing that I said – the reactions were automatic.

Training under stress will do that for ya!

quote downforlife76:

I’ve had to utilize it once and it worked AMAZINGLY. The drills have made everything second nature and the techniques are extremely effective… Especialy dealing with your typical street thugs.

There have been a bunch of times where I ended up avoiding fights by just moving into a modified fighting stance with my palms facing out and talking the situation down. It’s not aggressive enough to antagonize most potential attackers, but it does give them an initial “oh ****” reaction when they see you making a proactive response to their aggression.

J-

Come on man, don’t tease like that. DETAILS!

talktoazza

From all of the material I have read and from what I have picked up so far it seems like an extremely effective self defense method. I am looking forward to learning more about it and have my proficiency grow.

quote NewKravAddict:

Come on man, don’t tease like that. DETAILS!

I can’t give too many details on when I actualy had to use it due to the fact that there were other people involved and some people on the other side got hurt pretty bad, but I’ll clue you in a bit.

Basicly, we were at a New Years party at a hotel which my friend manages. A couple of drunk kids (probably about 18-20 years old) started getting lippy and using some racist language. A small scuffle insued and the main trouble maker was pulled off to the side by another one of my friends for a talk after they refused to leave. I was left with two guys trying to get to their friend, but I wasn’t about to let the group courage thing start up, so I told them to stay back and if they wanted to “have their friend’s back”, they would talk him into leaving quietly. Another one of my friends was holding off another guy, while one of their friends was trying to talk sense into them. All of a sudden the original trouble maker threw a punch and all hell started breaking lose. The two guys tried to fight through me to their friend (who at that time had already been taken down by the guy he tried to punch). I punched from a passive stance and instinctively followed with a knee. The second guy did manage to get around me and hit me in the back. I didn’t have a chance to deal with him though due to the quickness of another person at the party with a bottle. A couple of other guys tried to square off with me, but ended up backing down after a firm warning that they’d get it worse than the first guy. The aggression and situational awareness I picked up in the military contriubted, I’m sure, but I think the majority of what got me out of that situation without any signifigant injury was the confidence and muscle memory from frequent Krav training.

J-

J-

golf-pro

I think it’s amazing that people are like “yeah, I got in three fights today”.

What the heck are these people doing?! I am 27 and have been in only one fight when I was like 13, it was more of a teenage “think i’m tough” deal.

But to think of grown men on the street getting into fights multiple times a year is alien to me.

quote golf_pro:

I think it’s amazing that people are like “yeah, I got in three fights today”.

What the heck are these people doing?! I am 27 and have been in only one fight when I was like 13, it was more of a teenage “think i’m tough” deal.

But to think of grown men on the street getting into fights multiple times a year is alien to me.

Haha… We obviously don’t frequent the same watering holes.

golf-pro

quote downforlife76:

Haha… We obviously don’t frequent the same watering holes.

Funny you should mention that. Some of my co workers went to a bar over the weekend, got in a fight, and one ended up in the hospital with his left eye dangling out of his head! :OhMy:

Needless to say, I don’t go with them…

garddawg

quote Talktoazza:

Hi everybody, I just joined the Forum and I have so many questions that I think I will be posting all day long. I was wondering, how many of you have had to utilize your Krav Maga skills in a real world setting? I have met a few people who are involved in the discipline, so I know it is effective, but have you found it effective?

thanks

Yes

quote golf_pro:

Funny you should mention that. Some of my co workers went to a bar over the weekend, got in a fight, and one ended up in the hospital with his left eye dangling out of his head! :OhMy:

Needless to say, I don’t go with them…

Eeeek! I hate eye injuries… They gross me out more than damn near anything. Hope your co-worker gets better soon.

P.S. You might want to talk him into taking a few classes when he gets better… Sounds like he might need them! thumbsup

A more interesting question: Has anybody here who’s learning Krav Maga been in a fight since they’ve been training….and lost? And if so, what went wrong?

I was wondering, are there any statistics available showing what percentage of attack victims learned some form of martial art, for how many years, which martial art, and did this give them any advantage in the fight?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: