Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    kmman

I want to buy a heavy bag or the human body type to practice strikes and work on cardio. Any good suggestions which to get? Dont want hanging type as it will go in my basement so I need a free standing bag. Is there a “Krav Maga” compatible bag out there?

Re: Heavy Bag advice

quote KMMAN:

I want to buy a heavy bag or the human body type to practice strikes and work on cardio. Any good suggestions which to get? Dont want hanging type as it will go in my basement so I need a free standing bag. Is there a “Krav Maga” compatible bag out there?

A lot of people on this board have the Bob (human body type) bag. I’m not going to speak for everyone, but there is a lot of positive feedback due to the fact that you are able to work on aiming at specific parts of the body. It also provides a realistic surface to punch (unless you’re going up against a circius freak, your opponent isn’t going to be perfectly cylindrical). I have been training with it for a few months now and have no complaints.

J-

Another thing that is nice about the BOB is the top is interchangeable with the Wavemaster stand-up bags.

I just bought a used Powerline Wavemaster for under $100 and now I can just purchase the BOB top rather than the entire thing and save myself about $100.

Keep in mind though you are probably going to want to fill it with sand as water just isn’t heavy enough to keep it from scooting.

Here is a link the to website.

http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Default.aspx?tabid=54&categoryid=bf98fb84-4266-4051-8b86-8a05fab1c44a

Also if you are interested in saving money try looking on Craigslist (http://www.craiglist.org) in your area and get used one.

giant-killer

My Bob just celebrated a birthday along with myself. Got him a few years ago. Still enjoy training with him.

cmetalman

Did somebody mention Bob? I’ve just received the BOBXL for christmas ,he comes with a lower torso for low kicks I did fill him with water, I should of filled him with sand .teep/push kicks or side kicks you have to chase him around the room, I think I’m going to change it to sand. That’ll keep him in place?

quote cmetalman:

Did somebody mention Bob? I’ve just received the BOBXL for christmas ,he comes with a lower torso for low kicks I did fill him with water, I should of filled him with sand .teep/push kicks or side kicks you have to chase him around the room, I think I’m going to change it to sand. That’ll keep him in place?

I think it should do a better job at least.

I can tell you this, I bought this one used and the base was already filled with sand and it took a two man army to get this thing out of my SUV and up a flight of stairs with a dolly.

That liked to have killed me.

jay99

That is a great idea HazardousSmoker! Any chance you know where to find just a Bob top? I was given an everlast free standing bag that is the same style and would love to replace the top with a Bob.

kmman

I think http://www.boxingdepot.com has the top only. Not sure about the XL version. I bought the XL version at titleboxing just now.

Thanks for advice everyone, looking forward to throwing Bob a beating!

quote HazardousSmoker:

I think it should do a better job at least.

I can tell you this, I bought this one used and the base was already filled with sand and it took a two man army to get this thing out of my SUV and up a flight of stairs with a dolly.

That liked to have killed me.

Even filled with water that thing is a bitch to move around.

quote downforlife76:

Even filled with water that thing is a bitch to move around.

Yeah I definitely would not look forward to moving one of these things around that often.

The lady I bought it from told me she used to make her students drag it out of the closet to start training, needless to say they were none to happy.

giant-killer

If you tip it over slightly and then roll it, it’s not so hard to move.

quote Giant Killer:

I have a very confined space and need to move it past furniture to train… Can’t roll it… Have to drag it!

J-

quote Giant Killer:

Perhaps the water filled one wouldn’t be to bad but if you attempt it with the sand filled one it would probably tip over LOL.

giant-killer

Hmmm, mine is filled with water and if I tip it just slightly to one side (just so that the base is a bit off the ground on the other side), I can roll it okay, even through somewhat confined spaces. Much better than dragging it.

By the way, that reminds me, I’ve seen this TV commercial once for these round things you can buy to put underneath heavy furniture and such, so you can slide it and move it more easily and then take the things back off when you are done. Don’t know what they were called, though, but maybe they could help move Bob.

wyatt9696

In my opinion the wavemaster xxl (the largest one) is the way to go. BobXL is a great training tool as well, by I think the wavemaster can offer a more diverse type of training. the heavier you fill the base, the better off you’ll be. sand is great, but its a pain in the balls to fill, and takes a while.

P.S. If there are any Century reps out there, make the fill hole bigger. it’s the only thing i can complain about with your wavemasters.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: