Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Heavy Bag or Wavemaster XXL

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ds314

I’ve just completed my first month of Krav Maga. I would like to clean up some of my form issues before I develop bad habits so I’ve been thinking about purchasing either a heavy bag or a Wavemaster XXL. I have never used either one of these. I’m looking for some feedback if anyone has suggestions for which is better and why. I want to used it for my punching combos and round house kicks. It look’s like I can buy an 80# heavy bag brand new for around $60 or I can purchase one from someone on Craig’s list for a little less. I also found a Wavemaster XXL on Craig’s list for $100.

Thanks,

DS314

kmman

Re: Heavy Bag or Wavemaster XXL

Sorry I cant add much. i have both the wavemaster and the BOB XL. I use the BOB XL primarily.

nate

I don’t have a lot to add either on this, but I was recently shopping for hanging and freestanding heavy bags. The freestanding ones won’t give you the same resistance as a 100 lb hanging traditional heavy bag. Heavy bags will give you a better target (assuming you get a tall one) and will withstand your round and jump kicks much better.

The big benefit for the freestanding ones is just less storage space / easier to setup. If that’s not an issue, go for the heavy bag for sure, or better yet start taking bag classes at your gym if they have ’em.

karmaok

I prefer heavy bag because over time the Wavemaster padding gets soft. I have the boxers fracture to prove it. If you purchase a heavy bag, spent the extra money and get a good quality one, else after a month or so, all the padding ends up at the bottom of the bag and your money is wasted. I like the BOB as well, but you need to wear gloves or it will eat the skin off your knuckles.

Good Luck

sip

Don’t bother with the Wavemaster. They break easily, and with any kind of regular use the padding completely breaks down. It’s no fun to throw a solid kick expecting to find padding, but instead finding solid plastic. I would definitely say to go with the heavy bag. I would suggest a tall, skinny Thai bag.

oldkravdude

Go with the hanging bag. The movement on the standing bag leads to hyper-extended elbows, etc. cuz it ain’t where it’s supposed to be when it starts wobbling back and forth from your punches.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: