Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Heavy Bag question….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jasonc84

Hello everyone, i just started Krav 3 or 4 weeks ago. So far im loving it. Only problem is the school here is small and only offers basic krav classes twice a week. I would like to work on the basics at home so i want to get a heavy bag. Im not sure what to get though, a basic hanging bag or a standing bag. It will be going in an unfineshed basement so haning it wouldn’t be a problem. I was thinking a hanging bag might be more versitile because it could be taken down and used to practiece ground work, like punching down on the bag, holding bag with your legs up off of you and striking that way, did that in a class awesome leg workout. Anyways just looking for some input, thanks.

anonymous

Hi Jason,
    I have both a Hanging Heavy Bag, and a WaveMaster. Both are good, but I prefer the hanging Heavy Bag, here’s why; the Hanging bag is heavier and has a harder surface so it conditions the joints, bones, muscles ect. to absorb impact, gets you used to the feeling of hitting something with limited give, simular to the tombstone pads. The wave master I use for accuracy kicking and punching drills, it is lighter and softer, and if you dont kick or punch too hard it doesnt move around too much. I have puzzle mats in my workout area so it doesnt slide around. Also for both you can get an uppercut ring to go around them. Which ever you choose, consider bag gloves or your wraps, a fist had a tendency to slide to the side of a round bag if youdon’t hit it square and you can get some bag burns (like rug/mat burns) on your knuckles. I would love to get a BOB (body opponent bag) for accuracy drills but can’t bring myself to pay that much. (you’ll see from other posts on this board, I’m a tight wad! LOL) There is also a bag I have seen called a tear drop bag, it is supposed to be better for knee work then the straight bags, maybe someone can comment on these.
    I hope this helps some, rather than confuses!
    Best of Luck,
    Brian

This will probably add to the confusion, but

Hey Jason. I also have both a wavemaster and a hanging 120lb 6ft Muay Thai bag. I use both quite a bit, but if you have to go with one, I’d recommend the wavemaster. The biggest problem I’ve had with the hanging bag, has been it’s swaying back and forth. My basement ceilings are 9ft tall, which is pretty tall for a basement, but the bag still sways at some pretty extreme angles when hit hard. I know moving in and out and around the bag is part of the excercise, but sometimes the angle of sway makes it impossible to string together combos. So unless you have very high ceilings, which will minimize the swing of the bag, or a very heavy bag (250+lbs) go with the wavemaster. As far as doing groundwork with the hanging bag, I’ve used mine for sprawling drills. But i’ve found that for kicking from the ground, the wavemaster is pretty practical—-it doesnt swing and the padding starts at about knee height, which is what most of yout kicks from the ground target anyway..hope this helps your decision.

To BlackbeltBrian

Read your post regarding a bag for throwing knees. I actually use an upercut bag to train knees….just hang it at the right height. It’s great for uppercuts too. Title Boxing sells a nice leather 60lb everlast for about $70.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: