Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Personal Gear Discussion Heavy Punching Bag at home what do I do with it as a beginner?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I come from a light MMA background as you can see.

In between classes, I would like to hit the heavy bag in my home since it is just sitting there.

We don’t have any heavy punching bags in our classes. What can I do with the bag that is useful if anything between classes?

What is the goal of a heavy punching bag anyways?

bradm

Re: Heavy Punching Bag at home what do I do with it as a beginner?

Try getting a copy of the Bas Ruten tapes.

quote BradM:

Try getting a copy of the Bas Ruten tapes.

Thanks!

crazy-train

I, as would many others here, second the Bas Rutten cds/tapes for use with a heavy bag. As for the goal of a heavy bag, IMO, is to stand around for you to kick the crap out of it. I have a free standing bag in my garage and, for the most part, show it no mercy. Once in a while I’ll work more on the speed of my combatives and moving in and out; or I’ll work slow, consciously thinking about the mechanics of every technique.

quote crazy_train:

I, as would many others here, second the Bas Rutten cds/tapes for use with a heavy bag. As for the goal of a heavy bag, IMO, is to stand around for you to kick the crap out of it. I have a free standing bag in my garage and, for the most part, show it no mercy. Once in a while I’ll work more on the speed of my combatives and moving in and out; or I’ll work slow, consciously thinking about the mechanics of every technique.

Do you do this with no gloves or wraps? I tried that and I ended up with sore wrists…especially on a hand that was broken a few years ago.

My form was right (or so I believe from previous MA experiences).

I persevered and my wrists stopped hurting.

aviatordave

quote ukiltmybrutha:

What is the goal of a heavy punching bag anyways?

So you don’t have to shadow box all the time. :):

You can’t punch/kick/knee with full force for shadow boxing or you’ll hyperextend your joints. With the heavy bag you can go with full force and speed. It also strengthens the joints involved, especially the wrist. You can wear full boxing gloves, lighter bag gloves, just wrist wraps, or once your wrists and knuckles get strong, just bare hands.

You can also practice bobbing and weaving and footwork a little bit when the bag begins to swing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: