Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Hebrew text for a tattoo

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    kmman

Re: Hebrew text for a tattoo

I cool Krav Maga tattoo would be a tattoo of a bruise.

brand0nzer0

quote Nighteyes:

I did a lot of research last night into the Hebrew Alphabet and am pretty certain that is what it says. Hebrew is an abjad: Almost no vowels in its alphabet. Krav Maga is one of the exceptions though. The ‘first’ letter you see is actually the ‘a’ of Maga. Hebrew is, apparently, read backwards.

So, reading from right to left, the first letter is a K, then an R, then a V for Krav; the next word is formed with the M, then the G, and finally one of the few letters that can be used to symbolise a vowel as the final A. Like below:

– A — G — M —- V — R — K

Do they read from right to left? If one were to get this text tattooed on them would it appear in this order to the reader?

Yes, that is the correct spelling and yes it is read from right to left. The last letter is not a vowel. It’s the letter “ayin”, which is somewhat silent. I say somewhat, because Hebrew speakers from Arab countries tend to pronounce the letter strongly, but others will just slur over it.

kravmdjeff

FYI on the Leviticus passage…ancient pagan cultures would cut themselves, brand themselves, and tattoo themselves as a sort of blood sacrifice to any variety of deities. So if you’re concerned about the religious implications of a hebrew tattoo (which, I understand many people won’t be), rest assured that the passage is intended to prevent the worship of idols, not to say that there’s anything wrong with tattoos per se.

udjat

I am going to get a Tat for Krav as well.. A single black band for each level Passed on my upper forearm or calf. Now that I passed level 3 – its time to get it done.

markx3

Do we want to start posting pics of the tats on the forum?

future-swat

quote Nighteyes:

Not sure if this belongs in here or the student lounge, but can anyone confirm that the Hebrew text below does actually say “Krav Maga” in Hebrew?

I’m seriously considering getting something similar to that if/when I pass my P1 grading. Oh and, Hi by the way. 😀

Hehe.Just make sure that is what it says before you brand yourself.I have a BADBOY tattoo.I have badboy written in chinese written around it or so i thought….It actually says badson lol.While i could get it fixed since son and boy are the same but boy has a extra symbol after it making it easily fixable.I have opted to keep it.Kinda of a reminder of how ****ty i was to my parents when i was young and wild.

I can confirm it. I speak fluent Hebrew and served in the IDF. You are right to be concerned before doing anything permanent. Get a second opinion at an Israeli store near you, the Israeli consulate or a synagogue.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: