Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Hello and request for input

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Re: Hello and request for input

quote Nemo_Dat:

I donít want to out the school as I have a lot of respect for the instructors. But yes there are two midterms for level 2. Generally midterms are about 3 months apart, this means no-one can progress past level 2 in less than 9 months and in reality it would mean longer than that. I was unaware that other schools did not have this requirement.

From a revenue standpoint the required midterm approach is nice for the owner but may be a bit short sighted when they find that students could drift away from the school unsatisfied.

You mean when the students find out they’re being screwed? I think that’s an understatement! This pisses me off, they’re trying to McDojo the system to make a buck. Pitiful.

unstpabl1

quote Jeremy Stafford:

You mean when the students find out they’re being screwed? I think that’s an understatement! This pisses me off, they’re trying to McDojo the system to make a buck. Pitiful.

If I recall there was a discussion of this about a year ago or so. I think it was around the time CJ’s Dad came to play. Pretty sure Mr Whitman was still here. I thought it was pretty much an ATA thing though there was talk of dedicated krav schools doing of it.

The idea of it being that it would create a better sounding board on who was ready to test. Being that I might train with you on tuesday and Sean on Wed and Christian on Thursday(I Wishthumbsup). In the end the concencus of the board was pretty much expressed in your quote. It has to be a revenue thing because if its a quality Control thing why charge the student. He paid his monthly dues. If you want to evaluate him to see how he’s progressing run a mock test class as part of the schedule

Though if I was getting good instruction and it was part of the school. I’d be in because maybe it keeps the doors open. In truth though I’m with you Jeremy.

One thing Nemo in reading your posts the last few days I get the idea that your either very expirienced or think you are. This is an observation not a shot.If your expirienced and it shows your going to be held at a higher standard. Though this might not seem fair its the way of things.. In everything we do we have to prove our worth. You’ll notice I said worth and not ability. I’ve been in schools where guys couldn’t figure out why they were being held back… the reason always was their egos…what and how they contributed to the class and how they related to the other students. Everybody’s lessons are different

From my limited knowledge of L1 and L2 tech wise they are pretty fundamental. Its amazing how many guys come to this forum and a few weeks later want to go to Phase. There use to be a 2 year in the system rule. Meaning you had to put your time in. Its a good rule because the system isn’t the techs its the princples. Princples are only learned thru application, even though many think you just memorize the words. Its got to be internalized. remember its a Military system. In the military you earn your respect/worth/rank everyday. Well maybe except assifers and REMF’srofl2

Look, your either going to think this post is an attack or see it as coming from someone trying to help. . Which ever one you choose to see it thru is a reflection of attitude. :beer:

I recently had the opportunity to take Fight intro with CJ’s Dad…I suck by the way….but it was a very basic lesson. I’ve been doing Jab, right cross combo forever, but I learned something on every evolution. I learned something from the guy who never was in a fight before and I learned something from the Level 3 students who were smart enough to come 2 fight classes down to hone their fundamentals It was an amazing class because of it. I got to spend a whole evolution working on bouncing on my feet. Sounds stupid maybe but my jab felt crisper after

Your not being held back. Your being given the opportunity to go back to square one and retrain any flaws, to hone the fundamentals which is the system, to identify weaknesses and make them strengths. Your not in a race or competition with anyone else there. What difference does it make if some guy you think might not be able to fight his way outta a paper bag is ahead of you or if someone below you is better than you. Your there to learn the system. To internalize it the best you can as is everyone else. Your there to improve your skills, your self. Its all in how we look at it and that radiates to the whole room. And everybody is watching

Belts don’t mean crap on the streets. Promotions and advancements will come when they come. Their all bull crap really. If they weren’t there you’d go to class everyday working on improving what you were taught until the instructor decided to teach you something else. Simply you’d work to improve yourself. Nothing changes by the artifical grading but our attitudes

Sometimes that change in attitude is all thats needed for major breakthroughs. Hope this helps. Good luck with your training. Welcome to the board. look forward to your contributions

kirk

Wow, reading about how long and advanced you guys are and I am only into my 4th week of training. I have a long road to travel, you guys are great motivation!

On topic… I have a few years of martial arts experience but when I started Krav I threw all that out the door. I didn’t even mention it, until was asked by an instructor if I have previous training. I take nothing for granted and I’ll test when I am told too and not because I feel like I deserve too

unstpabl1

quote Kirk:

. I take nothing for granted and I’ll test when I am told too and not because I feel like I deserve too

Its funny because I always thought it was the instructor who decided when you test. I was training last month at a kenpo school and everybody wanted to test. I don’t really get that.. I use to train a bit at a Muay Thai gym…They had monthly smokers…It was funny but the instructor would go, you fight next week… He told them when they were ready. They may have expressed interest, but he decided

nemo-dat

Thanks unstpabl1 I think you make some valid points. I was trying to get some input on what I perceived to be an advancement system based on $ as opposed to skill, ability or attitude. It turns out that I mistakenly believed the advancement protocol in the school I attend was mandated by KMWW and shared by all franchises. It would seem that this is not the case. Iím all for making money, heck nothing in this world is free, but I donít believe I am in agreement with the mandatory mid term testing idea at the expense of arguably holding back students (not necessarily me, but inevitably some). I now have the information needed to talk again to the powers that be.

bradm

I agree with Jeromy also. I don’t think paying for mid-terms has a place in Krav Maga. As far as it being an ATA thing – I don’t know. Both schools where I trained in Krav were ATA schools. We did not have mid-terms. I also trained in TKD at the ATA schools. In the Taekwondo program there are required mid-terms. But, the pllicy was not carried over to the Krav programs, at least not where I trained.

michael

quote Jeremy Stafford:

In most schools, there is no requirement to test and the instructor can let students into the next level class at his or her discretion, but they still need to put in their time. Just allowing any student into an advanced class would hold back the students that have put the time into the system to make it into the advanced class. A level two student going into a level five class would not even be able to perform basic defenses at the same level as the level five student. The first time I went to Darren’s level five class at the NTC, I was totally lost, and I was already a Green Belt with three years in the system. The system is set up the way it is for a reason, it was not done on a whim.

My old school allowed me into all the advanced classes, though I was probably the only one there that got to do that. I was exposed to most of the gun, knife and stick material, which I liked. I wasn’t sure if most allowed this or not.

unstpabl1

quote BradM:

I agree with Jeromy also. I don’t think paying for mid-terms has a place in Krav Maga. As far as it being an ATA thing – I don’t know. Both schools where I trained in Krav were ATA schools. We did not have mid-terms. I also trained in TKD at the ATA schools. In the Taekwondo program there are required mid-terms. But, the pllicy was not carried over to the Krav programs, at least not where I trained.

Hey Brad. Yeah I’m not sure on all the particulars. I remember the thread and I’m pretty sure JW defended the policy. I thought it came from certain ATA schools, but was being implimented in some dedicated km schools as well. I’ll search it later today while I’m stuck here as they paint my bathroom. It could be lost though as we lost some stuff here. I think Giantkiller and myself absorbed a few shots on that thread for disagreeing with it. But I’m old so my memory ain’t that great

michael

If they are charging for a “mid-term test”, that’s a load of bovine scatology. I would not pay it,and I would report them to the NTC.

unstpabl1

My recollection wasn’t as good as I thought. Wasn’t an ATA thing. John Whitman defended the practice. I was mellow on it because I figured it was a KMAA affair and tried to be subtle in my criticism. I was trying to stay out of it. See Mara Jade, I can be subtle. Let me on the Welcoming Commitee:box:rofl2I like John but think mid term testing is a form of extortion to clients who are locked into a contract, specially when you change the policy during the run of the contract. Of course if your doing it and the price is equal in the end then maybe it has the value expressed by John. Anyway heres the links decide for yourself

http://kmforum.kravmaga.com/showthread.php?t=1668

http://kmforum.kravmaga.com/showthread.php?t=1688

The second thread is a bit more contencious and lacks a few deleted threadsrofl2 It isn’t all about mid term testing so you gotta look for it in the argueme..er discussion

nemo-dat

Wow, that is very interesting.

kvmorl

I train at ATA school and no we don’t have mid terms.

Also, we are exposed to knife, stick defenses all the time and I have been only training couple months there. I first heard about level 4 starting weapons defense here in the forums.

unstpabl1

quote kvmorl:

I train at ATA school and no we don’t have mid terms.

Also, we are exposed to knife, stick defenses all the time and I have been only training couple months there. I first heard about level 4 starting weapons defense here in the forums.

That was My error. If you look thru the the linked posts it was being discussed as a dedicated Krav thing by schools outside of NTC and apparently had some high level people behind it

bradm

unstpabl1,
    Thanks for posting the links. They refereshed my memory on the long discussions we had regarding mid-terms in the past. I think reading those links will answer most questions new folks have on the subject.

unstpabl1

quote BradM:

unstpabl1,
    Thanks for posting the links. They refereshed my memory on the long discussions we had regarding mid-terms in the past. I think reading those links will answer most questions new folks have on the subject.

Your welcome but it was your post that made me look them up. :beer:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: