Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Welcome Forums hello from toronto canada

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    bigdipper

hi,

i want to learn krav maga – i live in toronto canada …..anyone from here who can direct me to a good school/instructor?

the 2 closest shools near me are

IKMF – Oakville – Instructor henry karabela – graduate level 2

and

IKM _Gabi Noah – instructor Rafi Kashani – expert level 2

any suggestions would be helpful
    :wav:

Re: hello from toronto canada

quote BigDipper:

hi,

i want to learn krav maga – i live in toronto canada …..anyone from here who can direct me to a good school/instructor?

the 2 closest shools near me are

IKMF – Oakville – Instructor henry karabela – graduate level 2

and

IKM _Gabi Noah – instructor Rafi Kashani – expert level 2

any suggestions would be helpful
    :wav:

From personal experience, I can’t say enough good things about the IKM group (the one in NYC anyway), and though the IKMF is supposedly also very excellent, better to learn from an Expert 2 instructor (roughly equivalent to black belt Dan 2) than a Graduate level 2 (roughly equivalent to blue/brown I think). The curriculum and levels between those two orgs should be pretty much the same.

That said, if I was in Toronto, I wouldn’t go to either. Instead I’d run (as in RUN don’t walk) to learn Krav Maga from a guy named Nir Maman (just trust me). He was or is still teaching here:

http://revmma.com/programs/adult/krav-maga/

Good luck, eh!

mara-jade

Welcome to the forum:wav:

dangerousdon

Greetings!!!

bigdipper

thanks for the info will check him out

bigdipper

thanks for the welocome pplthumbsup

Mr. Dipper, a quick update. Out of curiosity, I went to the IKM Toronto website and checked out Rafi the instructor. He seems pretty cool and knowledgeable, in a way that doesn’t feel disingenuous or like marketing. I think you’d do well to check out both places (IKM and Revolution MMA). If Nir Maman doesn’t teach a lot there (Revolution MMA) but rather runs the program, obviously make sure you vibe with his instructors (which you should anywhere you’re potentially going to study KM, no matter who the instructors are) and choose the school/program that best suits your practical needs.

Please keep us posted!

bigdipper

i am really confused and discouraged at this point – the schools in toronto are looking to make money not teach — here are my experiences

went to IKMF oakville – for a free class – half way through the class the instructor is showing a technique but then he says wait i am not sure i have to check this out and get back to you next time – this is Henry karabela grd lvl 2. also when i join i get a P1 patch right away – vibed well with student – vary on instructor and his knowledge

i then went to revmma as recommended – no free class i could watch but the nir maman instructor does not teach all the time – he comes in once a month or twice a month the ppl who teach on his behalf i tried to talk to them to ask basic questions etc but all they said was join the club then ask questions. instructors would not talk unless i was a student and – students were really aggressive during drills with each other, 1 stident told his partner he was not wearing a cup and the partner still kicked him hard in the groin…it was no mistake

3rd went to IKM – gabi noah to take a class with Rafi kashani – i could watch the class or participate i joined the class his teaching style was very realistic and he explained real life situations and natural body reactions to certain dangers, i was able to grasp what he was saying. also he told me since i had a seibukan karate background black belt he showed me a move to integrate KM with my karate move to do a block and strike at the same time. I asked him about the move Henry at IKMF was not sure about and he showed me the way to execute it BUT, when i went to find out about membership joining etc… they said i would join as a practioner and then in 3-6 mo. i would be tested to earn my P1 patch

does the differnet grading system between ikmf and ikm make sense – revmma would not even answer my questions

when you start KM do u get a patch pr do u earn 1?…

please advise with your thought and comments ….thank you all

bigdipper

i followed your advise please see my post for details thanks for the assist

catapult

Big, the IKM school is the one I’d choose based on your experiences with all 3. What you learn is what counts. The techniques taught will be similar with all the legit organizations so it gets down to the quality of the instructor(s).

Grading/belts/patches varies somewhat among the various organizations and it shouldn’t be a big concern. KMW for example doesn’t do patches. They use a judo-style belt system but nobody wears belts in class.

bigdipper

thanks for the reply ….and for the option on revmma

bigdipper

thanks catapult…. i will be doing some more checking but so far what you say i agree with. having a MA background i am able to judge similar MA styles but KM is a class of its own – everything i learned in Karate – nothing of that is used in KM – mind you only had 2 classes so i am not sure maybe a few chokes hold or blocks would be in KM. Another postive potin it IKM is that it is a 10 min bike ride from home to the dojo and the times or the class schadule works extrmely well with my job if i miss the 1st class on any day i can go for the 2nd one.

i will keep checking and keep you guys updated …BUT I KNOW 1 THING I am HOOKED on KM…just have to find the right teacher if it means a heft commute i can deal with that…

wish me luck

Yeah man, based on everything you said (proximity, experience with trial class, etc.) I agree with everyone’s thinking. Sounds like IKM would be the way to go for you. You should be psyched, they’re cool and they’re good. You could do a lot worse.

BTW, I always thought the way it worked in the IKM/IKMF/KMG patch level system is you test for your P1 level 3-6 months after you begin, as opposed to starting with it the way at KMW/KMA we start in Level 1 (as a white belt learning yellow belt techniques) and test into Level 2 (as a yellow belt learning orange belt techniques). Whatever, not really that important end of the day, just train and learn.

Safe.

bigdipper

hey metta …KMW/KMA …same as in karate start at white belt or patch 1

IKMF Same as above

IKM…earn patch 1 in 3-6 mo.

catapult

quote BigDipper:

everything i learned in Karate – nothing of that is used in KM

If you’re a karate BB, I think a lot of that will translate and help you get up to speed quicker. A punch is a punch and kick is a kick.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: