Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Help on Kick Defenses When in Opposing Outlet stances

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jjbklb

Could I get some verification on ex.defense v.low straight kick when in opposing outlet stances?

I have the dreaded lefty curse.So I’m in a right outlet stances vs everyone else in the more standard left outlet stance.

I know that if we both were in the left outlet stance,& my opponent launches a low straight kick,I would use my left leg on the OUTSIDE of his right leg to deflect the kick.

But with the lefty curse,I’m in a right outlet stance.Do I use my right (front) leg against the INSIDE shin of his right leg to deflect the kick?

I’m also thinking of what change in my defensive response I’ll need to make to counter other attacks when my opponent will not mirror what I’m doing,example,if I’m deflecting a kick with my hand,pulling it passed & to the side as I step in to counterattack,what foot do I advance alongside him with?

Any help in clearing the muddy waters would be appreciated.

clfmak

In various kung fu styles, the main low kick defenses are actually kicks themselves. If your body is more turned outwards, or if the lead leg is targeted, the main defense is to raise up the lead and attack out with a downward side kick, to the shin or side of leg. Of the attack targets the groin or body, the defense is a direct shovel kick to the shin. These two defenses are nice because unlike kickboxing blocks (raising the lead leg and blocking with the shins) they attack the opponent, and contact areas that are structurally strong (getting hit in the shin sucks).
    Just today, I was in a sparring match and took some hard shin contact. My partner was wearing shin guards and I wasn’t, but he got a bruise that actually cut open about an inch, but my shin was just a little red.

brentw

If I am getting the question right, this is against front kick to the groin or front kick with the ball of the foot caught early –
    You should defend with the forward leg (whichever that leg may be.). The back leg won’t be able to get there in time.
    Just as a general rule, defend with the closest limb and advance with the closest leg to the direction you want to go.
    To help with the lefty vs. right questions – Think of it more as where the attack is coming from in reference to your body and more importantly in reference to the the defending limb. Left side of your body vs. Right, Inside your defending limb vs. Outside.

Hope this helps,
    Brent

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: