Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bstanley77

I have just recently started….I will only be able to attend class about 2x/week….I have been doing the tapout xt wkout for the last few months so I’m in decent shape……what can I do throughout the week to practice Krav Maga on my own? (specifically what kind of routine should I undertake in regards to practicing techniques, exercises etc? and for how long at a time and how often?) appreciate any suggestions…..

theo20185

Re: home study/training?

quote bstanley77:

I have just recently started….I will only be able to attend class about 2x/week….I have been doing the tapout xt wkout for the last few months so I’m in decent shape……what can I do throughout the week to practice Krav Maga on my own? (specifically what kind of routine should I undertake in regards to practicing techniques, exercises etc? and for how long at a time and how often?) appreciate any suggestions…..

Hi, bstanley77. When training during the week, I find that I am also unable to make the gym everyday for classes. When I can’t, I train at home doing the techniques that we work on at Krav Maga Detroit. When I train at home, I do the techniques slow and work on having proper form. Shadow boxing helps with fight-stance, movement, and strikes. When working on self-defense techniques, such as the headlock from the side or the choke from the front with a 2-handed pluck, I either do the moves dry or have my wife become my attacker. Again, whether I have a partner or not, I work very slow and try to get in many repetitions, then I let my instructors see what I’ve been working on the next time we have a class. When working at home, I try to concentrate on any critiques my instructors gave me. I had a bad habit of taking a step back during choke defenses, and I worked on standing my ground during the pluck and stepping forward with an attack when appropriate at home. The next time we drilled it, my instructors said it was much improved.

seraphs-coal

There is a fitness programme that was popular several years ago but has now receded as most of them do over time, its by Billy Blanks and its called “Tae-bo Flex” its a gruelling abdomen workout based on moves taken from Karate and Taekwondo, what I have worked out is that its not hard to modify it to Krav stances and striking patterns. Thus you get your work out but you practice elements of Krav at the same time.

wds2

Bas Rutten’s fight CD is a great workout and can be used with a heavy bag or by shadowboxing.

kmman

Bas Rutten is a great workout, I agree with the above. Probably all you need for conditioning.

To review/confirm/validate techniques you can look into http://www.maxkravmaga.com or http://www.kravmagabootcamp.com

wds2

I don’t want to spend the money on a heavy bag for my house. I’ve seen some guys fill a duffel bag and use it.
    Any recommendations on what to fill it with? Sand is the first thing that comes to mind but I think that would be too hard.

aaron1020

Try this, if you don’t want a dufflebag punching bag, use pillows, or tires ( this is what i do, but be careful at first as your hands may not be used to the material) and stack, 5/6 tires around a pole or tree or in a corner where they can’t move. Google – DIY punching bag

DIY= do it yourself

Hope this helps!

This is a free & great online resource to help you understand the mechanics of how martial arts work that you can study at home.

http://www.flashmavi.com/

darnell22

There is a health and fitness exercises program that was well-known several years ago but has now receded as most of them do over time, its by Billy Card blanks and its known as “Tae-bo Flex” its a constant stomach exercise depending on goes taken from Martial arts and Taekwondo, what I have exercised is that its not hard to alter it to Krav stances and stunning patterns

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: