Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Home Training / Conditioning

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    steveg64

I am new to Krav Maga and 48 years old. My current conditioning is not going to cut the mustard. I really need some advice about training at home that is relevant to Krav conditioning. I am rather inflexible right now and certainly need a flexibility program too. I will need to start slow and build up conditioning gradually. Unfortunately I cannot afford the $35 per month right now, in order to access the material on http://www.maxkravmaga.com I wish I could afford it, but has any one got any tips for me please ?:wav:

wds2

Re: Home Training / Conditioning

You can always go to google and youtube for tips on yoga and pilates for flexibility.

For aerobic fitness, nothing works like running.

If you want to see quick gains in strength a simple program that worked for me is this: when watching TV at night do two or three sets of five push ups and five sit ups (or whatever number you can do easily). Every commercial break, or approximately every 15 minutes do that until about half an hour before bed.
    Each week add two to three more of each.

If I were you, I’d spend some time surfing Crossfit. Open source (read: free) fitness website with daily workouts, videos explaining just about every exercise there, and plenty of bodyweight WODs (workout of the day) out there. Just listen to your body, it will tell you when you’re training too much. Make sure you get plenty of rest, plenty of water, and plenty of good nutrition.

steveg64

Thank you, I like the commercial break idea, as I have tight hips that give me some pain from time to time. I think this is partly due to prolonged sitting periods on a soft saggy sofa. I appreciate your reply wds2

steveg64

I will take a closer look at Crossfit. I have heard of it before, but not looked into it properly. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out Tacticaltimmy. Thank you

Something you have to be careful about when starting Crossfit is to be honest with your performance level and scale WODs down to your level. Asking you to do Murphy to standard on day 1 is just criminal.
    Some simple things you could start with:
    Training Day 1:
    As many rounds in 5 minutes as you can of:
    5x squats, 5x push-ups, 5x sit-ups; optional 5x pull-ups if you have a bar at home; if you have a bar and can’t do 5, do 1; if you can’t do 1, do a negative for 4 rounds and then cut the pull-up/negatives out of the rest of the workout. Quality is more important than quantity.

Training Day 2:
    10 rounds of 10 seconds of sprinting (just do a one-one thousand count up to ten-one thousand) and 20 seconds of jogging.

Training Day 3:
    SKILL WORK. Take some time every now and then to work on your skills; things like keeping your back straight during pushups and squats, keeping your weight over your heels during squats, keeping your hands under your shoulders during pushups, and general easy, recovery jogging.

For warming up, I recommend doing some jump-roping, start with 3 minutes. After that, do some sets of burpees with high-knees to get your body primed for motion. Train 2 days a week, with a third day of “relaxing” training, like skill work or general recovery jogging. After a month or so, bump up to 3 training days and a recovery day.

–I would still caution that you get certified help, as I am not certified, this is just how I would recommend someone coming into something like this ease their way in to it.

garddawg

quote TacticalTimmy:

Something you have to be careful about when starting Crossfit is to be honest with your performance level and scale WODs down to your level. Asking you to do Murphy to standard on day 1 is just criminal.
    Some simple things you could start with:
    Training Day 1:
    As many rounds in 5 minutes as you can of:
    5x squats, 5x push-ups, 5x sit-ups; optional 5x pull-ups if you have a bar at home; if you have a bar and can’t do 5, do 1; if you can’t do 1, do a negative for 4 rounds and then cut the pull-up/negatives out of the rest of the workout. Quality is more important than quantity.

Training Day 2:
    10 rounds of 10 seconds of sprinting (just do a one-one thousand count up to ten-one thousand) and 20 seconds of jogging.

Training Day 3:
    SKILL WORK. Take some time every now and then to work on your skills; things like keeping your back straight during pushups and squats, keeping your weight over your heels during squats, keeping your hands under your shoulders during pushups, and general easy, recovery jogging.

For warming up, I recommend doing some jump-roping, start with 3 minutes. After that, do some sets of burpees with high-knees to get your body primed for motion. Train 2 days a week, with a third day of “relaxing” training, like skill work or general recovery jogging. After a month or so, bump up to 3 training days and a recovery day.

–I would still caution that you get certified help, as I am not certified, this is just how I would recommend someone coming into something like this ease their way in to it.

Where did someone ask him to do Murph on his first day?

They didn’t, to my knowledge. Had two people get rhabdo in my command following the directions of someone who didn’t scale down. Said person was not a level 1 or 2 coach, or a holder of any other Crossfit cert.

garddawg

quote TacticalTimmy:

They didn’t, to my knowledge. Had two people get rhabdo in my command following the directions of someone who didn’t scale down. Said person was not a level 1 or 2 coach, or a holder of any other Crossfit cert.

That is an issue with me. I’ve been running CF classes for almost ten years and never had a case.

quote garddawg:

That is an issue with me. I’ve been running CF classes for almost ten years and never had a case.

Instead of our command “banning” or discouraging Crossfit, they did the smart thing and sent 4 people to one of the Level 1 certs in Virginia Beach a few years back.
    Command PT turned into an event where every portion of the training was scalable to every single individual present, including those on light duty.
    No more cases of rhabdo, PFT scores shot up :D:

garddawg

Surprising what a little training will do, right?

unstpabl1

With all that said follow Gardawgs links to his site….the forum has all the scaled down versions and start slow…..if it helps with cred he started the scaled down versions free online as well as the Crossfit Kids program and frankly thats a great pplace to start for adults in a lot of cases…of course adults have egos which f#$%s up their progress

He’s ALWAYS been extremelygiving of his time and expertise to this community

splatcat

quote TacticalTimmy:

If I were you, I’d spend some time surfing Crossfit. Open source (read: free) fitness website with daily workouts, videos explaining just about every exercise there, and plenty of bodyweight WODs (workout of the day) out there. Just listen to your body, it will tell you when you’re training too much. Make sure you get plenty of rest, plenty of water, and plenty of good nutrition.

Good info, I appreciate the tip as well! thumbsup

splatcat

SteveG64 – I’d forgotten about this when I typed my initial response, but I’ve just received my copy of http://www.amazon.com/Martial-Arts-After-Sang-Kim/dp/1880336294/ref=sr_1_1_title_0_main?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358057720&sr=1-1&keywords=martial+arts+after+40 Martial Arts After 40.

After giving the first half of the book a quick scan, I felt that the first 4 chapters (about 70 pages) were a little bit “fluffy-headed” – some of it felt almost like Oprah Winfrey trying to give a martial-arts pep talk, :Unsure: with a bit of lightweight, really-basic info that I felt was beneath the author’s stature as a PhD. (But, by the same token, I’ve been interested in martial arts/weightlifting for several years – I’m sure that the publishers have also had to consider the sizable number of people who don’t have that kind of history.) However, after the first 4 chapters, the book seems to “get down to business” & appears to be pretty solid. (I’ll give a final review after I have more time to read it.)

I also have another item (DVD, I think) coming within the next few days on solo training at home. If, after reviewing it, I feel that’s worthwhile, I’ll post it up here as well.

markmiles

@steveg64
    they now have plans that start at $9.90 per month –
    They re-did the whole site…

quote steveg64:

I am new to Krav Maga and 48 years old. My current conditioning is not going to cut the mustard. I really need some advice about training at home that is relevant to Krav conditioning. I am rather inflexible right now and certainly need a flexibility program too. I will need to start slow and build up conditioning gradually. Unfortunately I cannot afford the $35 per month right now, in order to access the material on http://www.maxkravmaga.com I wish I could afford it, but has any one got any tips for me please ?:wav:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: