Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tko99

Hi,

For some reason, I am developing a bad habit with my hook punch :confused:
    When I throw a hook punch with my bare hands (or grappling/mma gloves), it seems as though I am making contact with the bone before the knuckles (what do you call that part? metatarsal?)instead of the knuckles. I don’t have this problem if I am punching with boxing gloves on.

Any tips would be awesome. Thanks!

kirsten

Re: Hook Punch- help?

I apologize in advance, I just arrived home after driving 15 hours from L.A. to my home…. I am tired. Are you punching with your thumb up and pinky down when you make contact or with the pinky and thumbs to the side like a more traditional boxing hook? Perhaps try one over the other and see if that helps align your body better to make contact without injury to your hand…

Hope that makes sense…

tko99

quote Kirsten:

I apologize in advance, I just arrived home after driving 15 hours from L.A. to my home…. I am tired. Are you punching with your thumb up and pinky down when you make contact or with the pinky and thumbs to the side like a more traditional boxing hook? Perhaps try one over the other and see if that helps align your body better to make contact without injury to your hand…

Hope that makes sense…

When I make contact, my pinky is down and thumb is up. The adjustment that just crossed my mind is I need curve my wrist more??? I will try the traditional boxing hook tomorrow in class.
    wow, that’s a long drive! Did you get to see Marcus’ fight while you were in LA??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFk2TPdmaHk

oneness

The wrist needs to be straight just the same as when you throw a straight punch.

Some times its just the impact and how hard you are hitting and that is causing your wrist to roll or give you pain. Things are not built up enough. It could also be how your pad holder is holding the pads at such an angle that it doesnt allow you to keep your wrist straight.

Some pointers – 1. wrist and knuckles in straight line. 2. elbow in same line. it can be slight lower but never higher.

Punch on a heavy bag not hard but just enough to watch your impact and see the knuckles hitting the bag. Increase power up to about 50%. Keep repeating over and over ( 2 minutes) to put muscle memory of the technique in your head. It does not good to hit hard or wrong. Does this several times over a week or two period and you will be hiiting as hard as you want with no problems.

kirsten

Ah, good Oneness answered…

No, we did not see Marcus fight- we were out in Thousand Oaks and were swamped with meetings when not training. But he did EXCELLENT!!!

tko99

Thank for both of your help! thumbsup

And yep, he did excellent!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: