Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    baptist

Hey, I’ve just started attending a Krav class, loving it, but gutted the maximum is twice a week as I’d be well up for doing more

I work out some days too, mainly weights and pushups

Also do a little bit of work on my home made punchbag, think my punching technique is ok but I just need to practise more to get the muscle memory there, then hopefully get some strength behind it

What other exercises or drills can I do to become better all round, I can dedicate the time, usually I have 3 days off a week to do whatever I want

Also I was thinking of getting a floor-to-ceiling ball as I heard they are killer for improving reflexes

Any suggestions for DVDs I can get hold of in the UK?

The only thing I have at the moment is the complete Krav Maga book by Darren Levine, love getting my head stuck into it whenever I can

Thanks if you can help

Sorry for asking a billion questions

stevetuna

Re: How can I Improve?

All great questions, Baptist! Here’s a couple of quick thoughts:

1.) Pick up “Krav Maga for Beginners” by Darren Levine and Ryan Hoover. Go through that book and you’ll be moving even faster in the right direction.

2.) Cross-train to build your conditioning and strength. Check out crossfit.com for what I think is the best program out there.

3.) Focus on your technique when working on your punching bag as much or more than you focus on your power. Have a friend take a quick video of you as you perform techniques. Ask your instructor for a quick critical review with techniques that you’re having trouble with.

4.) Keep your attitude where it is – man, you’d be a great student to have in class!

Best wishes!

safetyal

The first thing that came to my mind is the Bas Rutten MMA workout (it is Cd’s and a DVD). It is a great all round conditioning tool.

baptist

quote stevetuna:

All great questions, Baptist! Here’s a couple of quick thoughts:

1.) Pick up “Krav Maga for Beginners” by Darren Levine and Ryan Hoover. Go through that book and you’ll be moving even faster in the right direction.

2.) Cross-train to build your conditioning and strength. Check out crossfit.com for what I think is the best program out there.

3.) Focus on your technique when working on your punching bag as much or more than you focus on your power. Have a friend take a quick video of you as you perform techniques. Ask your instructor for a quick critical review with techniques that you’re having trouble with.

4.) Keep your attitude where it is – man, you’d be a great student to have in class!

Best wishes!

Ahh thanks a lot, when I ordered the complete Krav book, I couldn’t see one for beginners so I assumed there wasn’t one!

I will get on it and buy the beginners book asap

Just checked out the crossfit site, looks great will definately be having a good browse at that

I have a friend who goes to class one week then misses another, because of work and stuff, he said he’s definately up for practising together though so I’m hoping we’ll get started soon!

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it 🙂

quote Safetyal:

The first thing that came to my mind is the Bas Rutten MMA workout (it is Cd’s and a DVD). It is a great all round conditioning tool.

I’ll check this out, the guys crazy hah, thanks a lot

stevetuna

quote Safetyal:

Good call! Bas will get you where you need to be…

unstpabl1

bas rocks, but don’t let anyone know I said that

kirsten

quote unstpabl1:

bas Rocks, But Don’t Let Anyone Know I Said That

Rotfl!!!!

unstpabl1

quote Kirsten:

Rotfl!!!!

I only started liking him since I saw the video of him talking about Brian urlacher asking him to step outside cause Bas accidently stepped on his shoe. Being a lifelong Packers fan and a diehard Bear hater, Bas won me over…but keep it quiet, I got an image to upholdthumbsup

smokelaw1

A good friend and training partner recommended the Bas CD’s to me just last night, as my schedule has made me a twice a weeker down from 3-4. Anyway, anybody have a recommendation on the best place to get them? A link to exactly what I am looking for perhaps?

Many thanks.

nate

quote smokelaw1:

A good friend and training partner recommended the Bas CD’s to me just last night, as my schedule has made me a twice a weeker down from 3-4. Anyway, anybody have a recommendation on the best place to get them? A link to exactly what I am looking for perhaps?

Many thanks.

Bas sells his CDs on his site. They’re worth the money, or find one of your friends who will make a copy for you.

http://www.basrutten.com/hex/dvds/mma-workout-cd-and-dvd.html

I’ll echo what everyone else said – the Bas workouts are a huge boost for your game. Lots of us use em. I still haven’t checked out the new workouts though.

kirsten

Don’t find a friend with a copy and pirate it… buy it and help support Bas so he can get the second edition out. 🙂

Which btw, we will be using in the new Bas Rutten Fight Club course to get feedback on.. so you should buy a copy of the original workouts and start getting familiar with them if you plan on attending the course.

baptist

Just ordered the beginners Krav book off amazon :): sweet

Also last night I went to class without having eaten all day, will never do it again!

Was fine while I was there, but had the most killer headache afterwards

But yeah, can’t wait to get stuck into this book and hopefully progress a bit faster

Will have to scan around see if I can get hold of the Bas Rutten stuff

Cheers

kirsten

http://www.basrutten.com

He has a pro-shop where you can order your copy of the MMA Workouts.

Have fun!

nosceteipsum

Bas’s workout cd’s and his Big DVD’s of combat are two of the best purchases you will ever make. The value is absolutely incredible.

kmman

Big fan of the Bas DVD’s here!

Also, I’d get a ring counter so you can shadow box, hit the bag etc by rounds…when not using Bas.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: