Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics How effective is "360" training with respect to real-world attacks?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Greetings, everyone. Although I completed Level I of the Air Force combatives program (essentially, Krav Maga), I still consider myself to be a Level I practitioner because the training I received from the Air Force occurred over a span of weeks, as opposed to the months that it takes for most to complete Level I. So, with under that backdrop, I still consider myself to be somewhat of a newbie to the game.

For the past month, I’ve been training at a local gym, which is affiliated with Krav Maga Worldwide, and I’ve really enjoyed the experience. I’m receiving training that deviates a little from the instruction that I received from the Air Force, but that’s a good thing: my civilian instructor seems to have a greater depth of training and experience relative to the Air Force combatives cadre. Nevertheless, one thing that is new to me is the “360” training. Steps one through four seem effective, but I was taught to block or check lower strikes — presumably kicks — with my legs and to keep my hands up at all times. I’m game for whatever works, so if the “360” training is effective, I’m going to eat, sleep, and live “360.” But if it’s not so effective and detrimental to real-world application, I’ll probably just learn what I need to learn for the sake of testing for the next level and stick to using what I learned in the Air Force. After all, Krav Maga is about going home at the end of the night, and I want to do what works.

As I mentioned, I still consider myself to be somewhat of a newb, so I appreciate any feedback.

kevinmack

Re: How effective is "360" training with respect to real-world attacks?

360 defense is not for kicks at all.It is an outside defense for punches and knife attacks. #7 and #6 are for underhand knife stabs.#4 and #5 are also for outside knife stabs and basically protect the same area of the body. The choice of which one it use is predicated on where your hands are when attacked. If your hands are down they stay down(#5). If they are up they stay up(#4). #2 and #3 are for outside knife attacks and wild hooking punches. #1 is to defend an icepick style stab attack.

kmyoshi

You are correct, you should keep your hands up and try to check/absorb kicks with your legs. Dropping your hands not only puts you at risk for breaking your arm from the defense but also leaves your vulnerable to other attacks on the upper half of your body. The only time you would do the actual lower 360 angles is if you were already in a bad position (ie: someone knocked the wind out of you and you’re bent over) and they go in for a knee, then you can do the 360 on the thighs of the attacker. There are other defenses against kicks from this angle as well (rising/kicks to the groin). 360 is usually for outside attacks with a knife for example.

kevinmack

Also..having a proper understanding of the concept,technique and training of 360 is the key to understanding inside and outside defenses in Krav Maga. Their instinctivness,economy of motion and application to a variety of attacks is one of the halmarks of Krav Maga. Every attack and every defense can be clasified as inside or outside. So thats why you need to understand the fundamental 360 instinctive defense for outside attacks.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Well stated good explanation Kevin.

Thank you for your service Gadfly – Train hard, “so that others may live”

Thank you for all of the feedback, everyone.

quote CJs Dad:

Thank you for your service Gadfly – Train hard, “so that others may live”

Thank you for paying taxes (and, presumably, for your service as well). I am especially grateful to be in the service and for the compensation the taxpayers afford us. I came out of poverty after high school, but I now have money for college and should graduate with a bachelor’s degree in chemistry in about two years. And I owe everything — my skills, education, and employment — to the United States taxpayers. I apologize about the soapbox rambling, but it really conveys how I feel.

The other posters are spot on that 360 blocks are the foundation of many higher level defenses.

However, another thing to consider with 360 blocks is the alternatives available. The shin blocks, leg defenses and arm redirects are not introduced until Level 2. Barring 360 blocks, at level 1, no real kick defenses exist other then pivoting or moving out of range.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: