Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics How hard do you spar?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    kravjeff

Re:

quote \”meangene\:

… After that, crank it up a bit for a little more realism. Hopefully they’ll be able to stop most of your attacks.

Guess that depends on your perspective … Hopefully they WON’T be able to stop most of my attacks!!! 8) 😉

unstpabl1

Jeff,
    What ya gotta lil’ snow there in Denver an go into hibernation. 🙄 You gotta learn to hang like us L.A. guys. ITs been down into the 30’s at night. I been wearing a parka 24/7,haven’t been outta the house since it got down under 79, but I’m still posting. Where you been ? 😀
    mike

anonymous

Yeah, what’s up with the cold? Can’t wait for it to start snowing.

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

Yeah, what’s up with the cold? Can’t wait for it to start snowing.

Gk 5 minutes after reading your post the news said its snowing in W L.A.,Malibu and Santa Monica. Anyone for skiing the Hollywood Hills. Meet you by the sign. 😈 😆 Snowing in MAlibu ❗ Barbie will never be the same 😕
    mike

kravjeff

Parkas 24/7??? I’m still wearin’ shorts at 30 degrees – Wuss 😉

I dunno about the rest of you local folks, but I’m ready for spring!!!

I took a bit of a hiatus from life around the holiday’s… Back to training and back to posting!!! Looking forward to catching up with everyone – Hope you’re all having a great New Year!

bradm

No snow here in Central Florida. Temp still in the 70’s. 😆

anonymous

If there were more rain, maybe we could go ice skating in the LA river… 8)

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

If there were more rain, maybe we could go ice skating in the LA river… 8)

L.A. river will never freeze, spontaniously combust, probably….Too many chemicals 😆

jay99

As a novice in the world of sparring I noticed early on that communication with partners is essential to a good experience. In my fight class there are a handful of people who forget how to maintain control of their power. They get worked up, start throwing harder and than get even more worked up when they get tagged with the equalizer punch.

Although there is a certain benefit to training with that level of intensity, in my opinion it can make becoming comfortable with sparring a lot more difficult than it should be. It took me all of two classes to realize that when it comes to the people whose lose control I feel a lot more comfortable hitting back as hard as they are rather than asking for it to be toned down. It has helped with the fight/flight response but it has left me with a more adversarial feeling towards those select few.

I much prefer being a training partner than an adversary. The greater percentage of people who are there do take the time to communicate and treat their sparring partners with respect. But those select few who lose sight of the goal of \”training\” do take some of the fun out of it. Except for the times when you land that picture shot on ’em.

I would say communicate with your partner and go at a pace you are BOTH comfortable at. Otherwise you may be less inclined to participate and you will lose out on the fun and benefits of sparring with good people.

vicious

My favorite sparring isn’t freestyle.

i prefer to work scenario training with full fight gear. I like performing reaction drills with both the defender and attacker are in full fight gear (like you stand eyes closed and your partner either attacks with a headlock, bear hug, [or the attacker has all his gear minus the gloves so he can also choke], takes you down, OR (my favorite) sucker punches you AND continues to attack until you recover enough to fight back). Obviously they can’t sneak you too hard but you’d be surprised how hard students push themselves with it.

i like sparring 10 second rounds where there is no time to wait and \”circle\” your partner. It’s \”go go go\” then switch partners \”go go go\” repeat.

i like working 2v1 where the defender is against a wall and must fight to get off the wall… where the defender isn’t \”sparring\” 2 people, he’s simply trying to cause enough damage to angle one attacker in the way of the other and run.

i like working knife defenses with full fight gear (both the defender and attacker have one glove on) so you get to see what a simultaneous counter-attack does to an attacker (lipstick on the knife) with the goal being level appropriate (obviously someone new to knife doesn’t need the attacker to be fighting by punching with their glove hand, kicking, head butts, takedowns, etc.)

i like \”up and down\” sparring where the instructor yells \”down\” and one student goes on his back the other students going to mount, side control, knee on belly, etc and fighting to their feet.

i like working from a fence with full fight gear. (See \”animal day\” by Geoff Thompson)

i like injury simulation sparring (tying one arm to your body with a belt while the attacker has all four limbs.) Or putting a rock in your shoe to simulate a foot injury. The goal being to keep your weight off the \”hurt\” foot, NOT to \”suck it up\” and step on the rock.

i could go on forever.

anonymous

Wow, that sounds like pretty cool stuff. I like all of it and maybe we should try some of it. We do the lipstick on the knife thing sometimes and we also have two shocknives now. Yesterday we did a cool drill, we went down to the garage 😀 😀 and had several students hide with knives, then one student walked past the cars and would get attacked by several crazy man/woman at a time with a knife. The attackers were hiding behind pillars and cars and the defender didn’t know what type of knife attack it would be. Two attackers even had the shocknife, which really is pretty scary-looking compared to the rubber knife.

I also noticed how suddenly the idea of simply kicking the approaching attacker becomes a much preferable option to doing hand defenses and if he is running fast all you need to do is stick your leg out there and he’ll run right into it.

Those types of drills are great, getting into a realistic environment, not knowing what’s coming, putting in decoys, who just come up and ask for the time etc. Hope we’ll do it again soon.

vicious

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

Wow, that sounds like pretty cool stuff. I like all of it and maybe we should try some of it. We do the lipstick on the knife thing sometimes and we also have two shocknives now. Yesterday we did a cool drill, we went down to the garage 😀 😀 and had several students hide with knives, then one student walked past the cars and would get attacked by several crazy man/woman at a time with a knife. The attackers were hiding behind pillars and cars and the defender didn’t know what type of knife attack it would be. Two attackers even had the shocknife, which really is pretty scary-looking compared to the rubber knife.

I also noticed how suddenly the idea of simply kicking the approaching attacker becomes a much preferable option to doing hand defenses and if he is running fast all you need to do is stick your leg out there and he’ll run right into it.

Those types of drills are great, getting into a realistic environment, not knowing what’s coming, putting in decoys, who just come up and ask for the time etc. Hope we’ll do it again soon.

I COMPLETELY agree. That type of training is invaluable, and what you guys did sounds awesome.

i’m a huge fan of trying to make knife as realistic as possible. To me it’s probably the most dangerous reality i could face. In fact one of the things that made me fall in love with KM was how similar the knife defenses were to the punch defenses…

Training knife attacks where the attacker has headgear, mouth guard, boxing glove on one hand, and the defender has full fight gear COMPLETELY changes everything.

It helps create the \”even if i F’ up the defense i’m STILL going to punch\” mentality. What’s REALLY great is if you can create an \”exit,\” an area across the room that represents safety if you can reach it.

clfmak

The front kick against a charging attack is good. I’m also a fan of the palm next to the ear elbow spike to the sternum against a charging attack.

anonymous

Sometimes when we train knife defenses, we also hit the attacker either in the shoulder, or, if he wears headgear, lightly with a palm strike to the forehead. If you get hit to the head, even with protection, it kind of hurts, so it gives a good idea how powerful your counter may be. It’s also good to learn to give the counter to the attacker’s head with at least some force, rather than stopping short or punching past, so you won’t hurt your partner.

Some time ago, we had a class where we did a lot of knife or stick fighting with head gear and Harbinger gloves (to protect the knuckles), but no other protection (light sticks, though, they’d sting but cause no serious damage).

I also thought it may be interesting to consider adding some scary music to the garage drill – just to get people into that creepy mode. One could have the defender listen to some type of horror movie soundtrack with an Ipod while walking through the garage. Might make the whole thing scarier. And then the guy with the shocknife sneaks up from behind… Fun stuff. 8)

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: