Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics How hard do you train

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    scrapper

I have been searching you tube for KM videos and it seams that some schools train differently from my own. I have been dissapointed by the standard of fitness present in my class and have thought that this has impeded the training.

I have only ever been to the same KM class; and love it, but have recently been worried that others are training much harder and realistically than us.

How hard do you train/spar and how does it compare to one of the videos I found?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dba9oqWIHgY

Thanks

njl

We train as hard, if not harder. For instance last week, we used our MMA gloves (as opposed to our 16’s boxing gloves… in addition to the rest of our fight gear) and worked standup, clinch/takedown and ground all in one… it was great. It was a level 3/4 class.

🙂

clfmak

There’s a good book called Total Quality Martial Arts that although a bit dated has some good examples of how you can objectively and subjectively measure your martial arts performance and how you can look to fix any gaps. Although written from a guy with primarily a point karate background, it can be applied to any style.

Training harder isn’t the answer if you’re not training smarter first. But don’t forget that hard work is key.

njl

Look into Straight Blast gym and the \”aliveness\” way of training. Also google Matt Thorton.

🙂

njl
    kravjeff

We train hard where I am too – Warmup, and exhaustion drills are awesome, and we’re expected to be VERY aggressive in making defenses and counters. As far as sparring goes, we typically don’t go harder that 60-80%, at a bit of a lower level class (Some KM students are upper level but fight class I’m in is Level 1). We too have incorporated some MMA style \”sparring\” using just grappling gloves, and fighting both standup and ground.

Could be that the vids show higher level classes???

Here’s a technique I can’t wait to learn!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx6ysoto6NA&mode=related&search=

kravmdjeff

I have been told that we train relatively hard. I don’t think it’s the best thing to compare all different levels of training. What may appear to be easy training is for beginners who are just starting on the ground floor. And what may appear to be good, tough, challenging training may actually be a bit of reckless sadism on the part of the instructor.

The intensity of training should be appropriate for the students in the class. The instructors are the ones who are qualified to judge on a consistent basis what is the appropriate level

kpalena

We train to an insane degree. One of our schools philsophies is that the guy who is in better shape will win the fight. Therefore we work to exhaustion, then do stress drills. It is important to see how far your body can actually take you. That being said, no one is forced to work while they are suffering. You can choose to hit it hard or 50% if you want. We are all preaty motivated though. By the end of my sixth class for the week on Thursday, I am completely fried.

greenbeanie

Re:

KravMDjeff \”What may appear to be easy training is for beginners who are just starting on the ground floor. And what may appear to be good, tough, challenging training may actually be a bit of reckless sadism on the part of the instructor.\”

In the 1960s, a committee of college professors, chaired by Dr. Benjamin Bloom, identified three types or domains of learning: cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (attitude). These domains are interrelated areas in which learning occurs rather than being independent areas of learning. When targeted by instructional methods, learning within the domains enables students to understand a concept, perform a task, or alter a behavior.

Having an understanding of these domains and how they interact will assist the instructor in presenting effective instruction. Through the cognitive domain, students gain understanding about concept or topic. Through the psychomotor domain, students perform the skills associated with that concept or topic. Through the affective domain, students develop a willingness to perform the behavior correctly and safely. The cognitive, psychomotor, and affective domains are the what, how and why of the learning process.

Each of the learning domains is divided into several levels of learning. The levels start from the simple at the bottom to the complex at the top. The student passes through each level on the learning ladder before progressing to the next level.

The levels of learning in the psychomotor domain progress through the following steps:

Observation ñ Witness the motor activity as it is demonstrated by the instructor.
    Imitation ñ Replicate or imitate the demonstrated motor activity in a step-by-step process.
    Adaptation ñ Modify and personalize the motor activity.
    Performance ñ Perfect the activity through repeated practice until the steps become habit.
    Perfection ñ Improve the performance until it is flawless and artful.

greenbeanie

Re:

KravMDjeff \”The intensity of training should be appropriate for the students in the class. The instructors are the ones who are qualified to judge on a consistent basis what is the appropriate level\”

Instructors must be aware that students learn at different rates of speed and levels of ability. Students must be comfortable in one psychomotor level before advancing to the next.

Instructors must watch for and understand student abilities at each level and provide appropriate time and opportunity for learning. Studies of vocational training have indicated that providing an adequate amount of time to master each level is critical for the success of most students.

kravjeff

Great post(s)!

greenbeanie

Re:

[kravjeff] \”Great post(s)!\”

Thanks. I would also like to impart the Laws of Learning and then I’ll get off my soapbox. 😀

Learning is a basic process of life and based upon certain recognized laws. Successful instructors understand and apply the laws that govern the learning process. During the early part of the 20th century, educational researchers developed certain learning laws that are fundamental to educational theory. These laws may have different effects on each individual student.

Instructors need to understand how the laws affect students and be aware of the many personal characteristics that students, particularly adults, bring to the learning environment. The laws of learning are as follows:

Readiness ñ Readiness means a person is prepared to learn ñ not just ready and willing, but also mentally and physically able to learn new knowledge or skills.

Exercise ñ The law of exercise stresses the idea that the more an act is practiced, the faster and surer the learning becomes. Repetition is basic to developing adequate responses because no one ever becomes proficient at a skill without performing the operation over and over. The amount of repetition required varies from person to person. Learning is always based on activity, which requires some kind of exercise involving both mind and body.

Effect ñ Learning is always more effective when a satisfaction, pleasantness, or reward accompanies or is a result of the learning process. When the learning situation is annoying or dissatisfying, students will not learn or will learn slowly. However, this statement is not saying that learning can always take place in pleasant circumstances or ideal conditions. People often learn worthwhile lessons by suffering the consequences of their actions. However, if the goal is desirable and satisfies a need, individuals are usually willing to suffer setbacks while working toward success.

Disuse ñ This law assumes that habits and memories used repeatedly are strengthened and habits not used are weakened through disuse.

Association ñ When the mind compares a new idea with something already known, it is using association, which means that it is easier to learn by relating new information to similar information from past experiences. Making associations is a great aid to learning. Instructors should provide examples of associations between new (unknown) and known material to help students make connections with previously learned materials.

Recency ñ The principle of recency simply means that the most recent items or experiences are remembered best. Reviews and warm-up exercises are based on the principle that the more recent the exercise, the more effective the performance. Practicing a skill just before using it ensures a more effective performance.

Primacy ñ The law of primacy states the principle that the first of a series of learned acts would be remembered better than others. This law appears to conflict with the law of recency, but consider that each individual learns differently. Some students remember what they heard and saw first while others remember what they heard and saw last because the most recent exposure is still fresh in their minds. The two laws of recency and primacy are the reasons why instructors include an overview and a strong introduction plus a summary and a strong review in their instruction.

Intensity ñ The principle of intensity states that if a stimulus (experience) is vivid and real, it will more likely change or have an effect on the behavior (learning).

psyops

BETTER SHAPE = WINNING THE FIGHT? I DISAGREE!

In the street there really is no place for a \”win the fight\” mentality. This is a ring or competition mentality that should not be part of a street altercation. The beauty of Krav Maga is that it is (or at least at one point was) not based on ring tactics. Again, I am not attacking anyone specifically so please do not be offended. If you believe that your cardio conditioning is going to give you an advantage in a violent street attack you have never been attacked!

Does being in shape improve our lives overall? Absolutely! But the fact that you can go 10 full rounds is not going to matter if the other guy is prepared to be more violent and aggresive than you are. The more violent and committed person is the one who will survive the encounter! We are not training to \”win fights\”. We are training to survive. These two things are mutually exclusive.

I know that there are schools out there who train in MMA in addition to Krav. Yes conditioning is important but come on. What happened to training our students to pick something up and bash the attacker. Eye gouges, groin kicks, properly placed elbows, bighting, scratching, clawing, kicking, punching and head butts?

Now we are \”working on our groundgame, and then stand up\”. Now we are encouraging people to take opponents to the ground in the street. We are working the half guard. What the hell is going on here? I’m sorry people but at our schools we teach our students to be as aggressive as you need to be to survive. We train our students to use every advantage possible. Of course their is a conditioning element that must exist. But conditioning in and of itself is not enough. Does an aerobics instructor have a better chance on the street than an overweight, out of shape attacker? If you think that automatically gives the instructor an advantage you clearly have not been involved in a serious street confrontation.

anonymous

I think when we go to fight class and do conditioning drills, the idea is not so much to learn how to go ten rounds in a street fight, but to try and replicate the feeling of breathlessness you might endure due to fear. You are scared and thus may stop to breathe properly, you may feel exhausted even though you haven’t thrown a punch yet and so drills and sparring can help you to learn how to continue the fight even if you are experiencing these conditions.

That said, I think it’s all about the right balance. I think some ground fighting can be important, even if we are usually urged not to go there (but sometimes we may have no choice). Sparring can help to develop vision and teach you how to fight under stress and sometimes how to continue on, even if you are getting hit and you are hurting.

At the same time, to become proficient at individual exercises, repetition is very important. Greenbeanie made some excellent points. Sometimes you may need to work your conditioning, sometimes you may need to work your brain and your motor skills, doing an exercise over and over, even slowly and broken down into sections, until you can perform it correctly and without hesitation. Even once you have achieved that goal, you will still need to continue performing that same exercise, to continue to stay proficient. It may sound tedious, but it is essential to learning and there should be ample opportunity for students to practice the dozens of individual techniques that form the basis of Krav Maga.

greenbeanie

Re: BETTER SHAPE = WINNING THE FIGHT? I DISAGREE!

[Psyops] \”What happened to training our students to pick something up and bash the attacker. Eye gouges, groin kicks, properly placed elbows, bighting, scratching, clawing, kicking, punching and head butts?\”

Guiding Principles for Krav Maga Techniques

Avoid injury! Carefully calculate the risks involved in a specific action and avoid danger whenever possible. The basic approach to your actions should be self-defense; Krav Maga strongly emphasizes the use of defense techniques.

The Krav Maga techniques were developed as an extension of the bodyís natural reflexes. These natural responses were then refined, polished and directed to meet the needs of the defender in a given situation.

Defend and counterattack in the shortest and most direct way possible, from any starting position, taking into consideration the safety and convenience of your action.

Respond correctly, in accordance with and as required by the circumstances, carefully checking the nature of your response and the force of the attack (in order to avoid unnecessary injury).

Strike correctly at any vulnerable point, as needed to prevail over the assailant.

Use any tool or object available nearby for your defense and counterattack.

In Krav Maga there are no rules, technical limitations or sportsmanship restrictions.

The underlying principle in training: advancing from closed skill to open skill (incorporating ìmental trainingî), and from a single, specifically defined technique to improvised action in accordance with the dynamics of the situation.

– Sde-Or (Lichtenfeld), I. & Yanilov, E. (2001). Krav maga: How to defend yourself against armed assault. Tel Aviv, Israel: Dekel Publishing House.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: