Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics How many days per week of Krav Classes

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    ohiobuckeye

I’m curious how your body handles the Krav Maga workouts/classes and how many days per week you can actually workout . My school offers enough classes that I could go 5 days per week but I don’t know if my body would be able to take that.

Just curious about how many days you work out per week and what would be your max?

OB

stevetuna

Re: How many days per week of Krav Classes

If you were at my school, I’d urge you to walk before running. You’d be urged to attend two intro to Krav Maga classes per week and, depending on your fitness level, guided to one more fitness-oriented class (heavy bag class, CrossFit, etc.). You need to develop a solid base of Krav Maga skills, to be obtained in the intro classes, and a solid base of fitness. We’d also want to talk about your overall goals for your training. It’s hard to hit a target that you can’t see or don’t have!

Ultimately, these decisions are yours. I’d urge you not to set yourself up to fail by trying to do to much too soon, or having you in a high-speed class that you’re simply not ready for.

Good luck, btw, and please keep us posted on how things are progressing for you!

mara-jade

Steve’s quite correct. Don’t go salivating (yeah it’s hard I know-LOL) and jumping the gun. Start off slow – you’ll be sore, tired and may feel like you’re winded – IT’S NORMAL so don’t feel bad about it.

After awhile, your body will adjust and you can do more. Make sure to give your body time to rest too.

Best wishes on your training:wav:

emily

quote mara_jade:

After awhile, your body will adjust and you can do more. Make sure to give your body time to rest too.

She’s right — I started with 2-3 classes a week (usually a day off in between them to recover), and moved up to 2-4 classes a day, 4-5x a week leading up to my Yellow Belt test (3.5 months of training).

The days off in between classes early in training were important. You can’t really do your best if you’re too sore to move properly!

peterako

Despite what has just been recommended by stevetuna and mara jade, I started going to Krav Maga classes five times a week from a more or less inactive state. This past school year the only thing I had been doing was a little weight lifting a few times a week. Then at the start of the summer, about three months ago, I started Krav as well as a CrossFit supplement, which I have done consistently 4-5 times a week.

I havent had any trouble with the physical stress, and now my body has adjusted to it. I would also mention that I’m only 17, which has an impact on how well the body can handle the strain, as well as many other factors. So it’s possible you can jump right into it, but perhaps not.

kmman

When you have a boat, if you think its just a bit too small that means its the perfect size. Once you feel your boat is a bit too big…all the enjoyment is gone.

I think the same can be said for training. If you feel what youre doing is just a tiny bit too little, its probably just right. You should want to go to train and look forward to it.

guitarded-1

I do Krav 5x weekly and lift weights 5x weekly.

I take a total of five classes a week – one night three in a row and another night two in a row – mix of Level 1 and Level 2 classes. Would go more, but I live too far away (55 miles).

The main thing is to build up to it gradually – I’ve seen so many people start class all enthused, go 5 days a week, then quit because they get hurt from overdoing it or get tired of being sore as hell all the time.

Your body can take just about anything if you give it time… I lived a very sedentary lifestyle (I’m in the IT industry – LOL) before starting Krav, and it took me several months before I started two classes a week, then went to back to back classes, then picked up one class on Saturday as well. When it came time for my Level 2 test (5 hours of hell – 3 of review, 2 testing), it paid off.

Krav rules!

quote OhioBuckeye:

I’m curious how your body handles the Krav Maga workouts/classes and how many days per week you can actually workout . My school offers enough classes that I could go 5 days per week but I don’t know if my body would be able to take that.

Just curious about how many days you work out per week and what would be your max?

OB

imike

I do it twice a week, about 75 minutes each class, but also considering to go to more classes and increase it to 4 times a week.

I go to class 4 times a week. Then swim the other days.

jstrauss

When I first started (~ 2 months ago), I was gone after, like, 2 days per week. After a month of that, I’m up to four or five days per week, plus CrossFit WODs. My weeks are weird, and I have a 24/7 on-call contract with my job, so I’ll make it to as many classes as I can. Because the WODs are three-on/one-off, every few days I’ll take an extra day off krav.

ncsam160

2 Krav Maga classes a week, on top of 2 BJJ and 2 Muay Thai. All together I’m doing 12 hours per week, and will soon add another 3 on Saturday (BJJ and Krav)

a-rostamian

I am planning on starting next month for the first time and even though I have years of Muay Thai, Boxing, Fencing, and Kendo experience, I plan to only take 2 level 1 classes per week minimum as well as throw in 1 fitness class per week at the school. Just stretching, light abs and cardio every other day in the morning so you wont be so sore and stiff all day on the days your rest. Thats my plan, good luck with yours, I am sure youll be fine.

unstpabl1

[quote=stevetuna;. We’d also want to talk about your overall goals for your training. It’s hard to hit a target that you can’t see or don’t have!

Ultimately, these decisions are yours. I’d urge you not to set yourself up to fail by trying to do to much too soon, or having you in a high-speed class that you’re simply not ready for.

Good luck, btw, and please keep us posted on how things are progressing for you![/quote]

great postthumbsup

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: