Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics How much cardio should a class have?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    davidstl

Re: How much cardio should a class have?

quote garddawg:

What is “Cardio”?

Just saying “cardio” was a little vague, but what I meant was time spent in the class doing exercises not directly related to Krav Maga. The class was only an hour long, so around jumping jack number 150 I started wondering what I would be paying for. I learned how to do jumping jacks back in elementary school. I got a lot of benefit when the instructor stood next to me and corrected my form and would have preferred more time spent on that.

bradm

quote dunc:

hi david,
    welcome to the club.

I’m a absolute beginner at KMWW LA, and we do about 5-10 min warmup and stretches, 45 min kicking and punching the crap out of something or someone, and then round off with something technical like choke releases to warm down.

the punching/kicking bit is the hardest cardio i’ve ever done, so i don’t know what else is required. it’s so hard in fact, that us level one’s have started ganging up and asking lots of inane questions just to get a bit of a breather. don’t think the instructors have spotted that one yet.

i’m still looking for the part of Krav which doesn’t require you to be athletic.
    I will say howeverer that after 3 weeks, either the classes are getting easier, or I’m getting harder.

talk to your instructors, i’m sure they’d love to swap jumping jacks for some bag or pad work.

all the best

dunc

more wag,
    less bark.

Doesn’t sound like you are getting in any (or very little) slef defense techniques with all that punching, kicking and cardio.

jburtonpdx

quote BradM:

Doesn’t sound like you are getting in any (or very little) slef defense techniques with all that punching, kicking and cardio.

Sounds to me like they are doing lots of combatives which are key to our self defense. The cardio workout simply occurs as a result of training in the combatives.

dkatman

quote jburtonpdx:

Sounds to me like they are doing lots of combatives which are key to our self defense. The cardio workout simply occurs as a result of training in the combatives.

In addition to to that, I think it is all relative and hard to keep track exactly.

I have taken the same classes at the same place and it sure seems it is never less than 15 minutes of self defense in addition to having trained combatives as suggested. But at the time, it sure seems like so long that it feels it must have been at least 45 minutes of hard combative work. I mean, just think how long that last 30 seconds really lasted? Or how my group seemed to go for 5 minutes, while theirs only went 2 (OK, I usually find the group that only has to do the 2)? I am sure I could try to account for a class and add up the time to be 1 1/2 hours when we all knew we were just there for 60 minutes. Time flies when you are having fun.

I thik it all matters what the lesson plan might have been for this first class. It is so hard to tell. Was there a lot of time spent on movement? I know my first class, I needed the extra training for learning the fighting stance, movement, mechanics of the punches, even holding pads. They won’t always be the VERY first class. Sometimes they get straight into things. Sometimes there are MANY first timers. It makes more sense to step back and go over the basics of the basics. And, it is smart to revisit the very basics at all stages to evaluate and correct bad habits, lazy habits, and perfect (or in my case, just not suck quite as bad) abilities.

And the OP (Original Poster) brings up a valid point of fitness. For many people, Krav is their only fitness. Others do more. Also, some instructors themselves just incorporate more fitness than others. That is just their style. Sometimes it just fits into their lesson plan for the day to have a little more fitness for that lesson. Why extra lunges when your lesson is just going to be excersizing the same muscles bobbing and weaving? It just kills that much more. And that is a valid concern for you, davidstl. Since it is a concern, I think you should take a few more trials to see if it was just that class or if it is how they run their program. I think you can feel comfortable asking the question of the school as you did here. You weren’t offensive. They may even suggest that some instructors do more or less fitness work in their classes. Which may point to the other place to ask. Strike up a conversation with some of the other students. I take a wide variety of classes in West LA and have a perspective of their different personalities. I haven’t trained with some of the instructors for a while. I miss their classes. All of them bring cool things to the table. You might be looking for a different table than the one you were seated at.

Dave

tiny

Great points from all.

Krav maga from books, or working strictly on techniques, would certainly be valuable. However, I subscribe to the “wax on, wax off” philosophy. Every drill builds endurance, develops a muscle group, and increases agility. It’s only been a few months for me (a lowly level 1), but I’m certainly “tougher” than before. While my techniques improve, I also find myself better prepared to MOVE.

Fights suck, and their all random. Perfected techniques w/o the rest of the physical aptitude is a liability.

Plus, what a killer way to get, and stay, in shape!

dunc

ha ha,

i think Brad was being ironic, and yes, i may be guilty of exaggeration for literary effect.

sorry.

i think the point i was trying to make was that the combatives could easily be seen as a really good aerobic workout, even holding up the focus mitts can hurt after a while. (for me)

also, talk to the instructor, it’s your money they’re hoping to get, so ask away, I’m sure they’d be happy to accomodate you.

all the best

dunc

more wag,
    less bark.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: