Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics how should i prepare physically for Krav Maga? (3-4 months)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    steelrhino

hi, i plan to enroll in a Krav Maga place by my house after the spring break / summer crowds thin out. ive never taken a formal martial art in my life and i have about 40 more lbs i wanna lose before i start; my prep time frame is 3-4 months.

i was hoping you could tell me how to best prepare for Krav Maga training. i have an elliptical machine, a punching bag, universal weight machine, and a 3 mile course by my house. im doing about 30-40 minutes of intense cardio per day, i lift about every 3 days. my wind is getting better every week and im eating clean with lots of protein.

can u give me any advice on drills, stretches, exercises, bag work, etc that i should start practicing now so i can fall into groove with the other students?

i definitly appreciate any feedback u can give me! ive asked around on a few MMA boards and hear lots of great things about Krav, so i want to start on the right foot when i get the time comes. thanks in advance!

travis

karlhungus

http://www.crossfit.com

Bas Rutten boxing workout.

But honestly, what you are doing will have you in fine shape.

swornenemy

I’ll second Bas’ tapes.

steelrhino

excellent. thanks guys!

daki

Don’t thank them until after you’ve done the workout. 😉

steelrhino

haha , lookin forward to it

jl

steel,
    you will progress faster (IMHO) if you start KM training now. You can still get the bas cd’s and work out with them on off days from krav. work your way through it at your own pace, nobody’s looking to prove anything out there. there will be a lot of good people there to help you. i believe the weight loss will be something that will inevitably happen through the work. just my .02

stillticking

I agree with JL, the best way to condition for KM is to do KM. That’s asuming that you are in or near good to average shape. if it’s been awhile since you have done anything really strenuos, I would work on some basic cardio but eventually convert to where you are able to sustain a high degree of effort for 2-3 minutes, recover in a minute or less, then be ready to go again. If you are able to do this for 45 minutes to an hour, then you should be more than ready to train.

Basic strength exercises such as pushups, pullups, crunches/sit ups, and leg raises will give you adequate strength to begin.

One thing that really helps is to be able to lay on the ground on your stomach, stand up, and keep repeating that until it’s easy. You’ll know why when you start KM class.

I love the Bas tapes, but if you don’t have the proper technquie when punching or kicking, you’ll spend alot of time reinforcing bad habits.
    Join KM class and havefun.

taikei

Train with your body weight. Push ups, possibly chin ups, situps. Keep up with your cardio. It’s not too late to work with your own sand bag after you learned proper striking technique, though it doesn’t hurt starting early.
    I don’t think prerequisite is necessary. Instructors know how to torture you (in a harmless way), and program provides something beyond your expectation. You’ll do fine, \”Just Have Fun\” is the best advice I can think of.

steelrhino

this forum is awesome.. i had a feeling it was a great idea to register and ask for advice on here. thanks alot for everybodys fast responses. i ordered bas’ mma workout last night; ill stick to the exercises and punching / knees, ill wait to learn the correct way to kick so i dont create a bad habit.

as far as my conditionng shape, well in all honesty, its pretty poor still but rapidly improving. 10 years of beer, inactivity, and junkfood put a mean dent in my physique and conditioing. probly be about 4 months till i can fit \”comfortably\” in the 2xl Krav unfirorm anyways, but im gonna start using everybodys tips immediatly and build from there. ill definitly not be shy about asking for advice when needed on this board since u have all been so helpful. thanks again!!

swornenemy

Give us a daily-weekly-monthly blog of the progression. Love that sh*t.

kanai

Re: how should i prepare physically for Krav Maga? (3-4 mon

As many have already noted, so I’m just joining the chorus – just train. Don’t try to do prep training so you can train. You might as well start developing the right habits sooner, training your muscles to remember earlier, than all of the aerobic workout you could come up with. Just train – and enjoy it.

peace,
    the kana’i

saxman314

Re:

quote \”swornenemy\:

Give us a daily-weekly-monthly blog of the progression. Love that sh*t.

Me too.

steelrhino

thanks again for all the input , ill keep you updated.

garddawg

I’m in London right now giving a seminar on CrossFit and Olympic Weightlifting. Even though I am a huge advocate of CrossFit for GPP its best if you are a deconditioned athlete to start with one thing. Make that your Krav Maga class.

The Bas tapes are good. I use them all the time. However as others have said if you are throwing improper punches all you are doing is reinforcing poor habits. Wait to use those until you are striking correctly. Also the Bas tapes are SPP. Much like a 10K runner saying he is going to shake his training up be running a 5K instead of his usual runs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: