Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics How should it cost????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    skipper

I went for a free trial class in KM yesterday. At the end of the class I was excited and asked the instructor to go into greater detail about pricing, uniform etc. When I asked about this on the phone he said \” a little over $100\”. After class he pulls out his membership book. He says there is an initial installment yearly I think of $249, monthly dues are $125, no monthly dues are covered by $249, within 2 weeks I MUST purchase hand wraps, teeshirt, pants, gloves and I think maybe something else it wouldhave cost around $100. My point of view is I have been to one, one hour class and I should be able to decide that I want to invest between $450 and $500 just for the first month. Is this kinda insaneand WAY too expensive or is it just me.

siayn

Softball league will cost you a few hundred dollars to join, then you have to buy a mit $80, cleats $50, uniform $50, bat $60, etc…

Hockey league is nearly $500 to join, then cost of skates, stick, pads, uniform can cost another $500.

If you are comparing this to a $40 a month gym membership, then it is completely overpriced. If you are comparing this to other group sport activities you may participate in, then it comes about about the same or just little more expensive depending on your schools payment plans.

If you are unsure, then tell them you are really interested but need a few more classes to make your final decision. If they press you on a hard sell, then I would give em the finger.

beachfront71

The whole \”buy the wraps, t-shirt, shoes, etc.\” must be new because it has now come up more than once in the last couple of weeks.

As soon as someone brings up intiation fees, etc. All I can think about is all the BS charges on my loan doc’s when I refinanced the house…

To keep the rant going…

When I join a school or am part of a school, I want to feel as though the instructor really believes in what he is doing and has a personal intrerest in all of his students, this is what brings loyalty to a school or particular individual….You want to be at a point where you are going to class not just because you want to better yourself, but also a little bit because you do not want to let your teacher down, this is how you learn with passion and create relationships with students…. when people start nickle and diming me to death, it feels as though you are simply a number and this is all a business with no personal interests involved…

May sound dumb to some but just my opinion…

Just so you know $125x12months + $249 = $1749/ year not including equipment
    I pay $960/year at $80/month not incl equp’t, for comparison purposes.
    I think that anything over $1200/year is too much.

lemarteau

My school charges $100 a month, which includes all Krav classes, NHB, Thai, and other stuff. Has a punch card deal, but I chose the best deal: just pay first month and last month tuition for all the classes I want, then month-to-month. No contract, no BS.

Don’t have to buy anything else. My teacher is a true warrior, he teaches because he is a warrior and it is his life, and after having witnessed the crap other schools pull, I feel very fortunate.

dv8njoe

Man do I feel great that I only pay 95 a month.

wysiwyg

Where I train it costs $60.00 AUD($46 USD) a month, which equals to about 8* 90mins lessons.

Join fee was about $50 AUD($38 USD) I think for the first year. Then $30 AUD ($28 USD) thereafter.

Shirt, pants, groin guard were $20AUD($16 USD) each. Gloves were about $60.00 AUD($46 USD) and shin guards I think were about $30 AUD ($28 USD).

But then again my classes that I goto are held in a school hall after hours and not in a full time place.

Oh, and no contracts in sight. 😀

ryan

I never quite understand these threads. Do you go on Merecedes-Benz forums and complain about the pricing or the fees or the accessories? If you don’t see the value in the car, don’t buy it. There are plenty of other manufacturers out there–only you know your budget and what you are willing to pay for a certain product.

kravron

I pay $60 a month and I can attend up to 6 classes a week. Additionally new members at my school get their T-shirt and handwraps free when they sign up. I wonder where you are going to be paying ~$125 a month…thats they highest I have ever heard. How many classes a week can you attend? $125 plus starting fees, plus uniform fees is a bit much. I would look for another Krav school in your area and see what they charge.

dkst

I got that beat, $139.00 unless I want to give them a year contract. I’m not a big fan of making that commitment, but it goes down to $119 a month if I do.

I can go 9 times a week if I want. I go about 3 to 4 times a week so which on the low end is $11.58 a class. Not all that bad considering I getting a good work out.

I’m not sure about the 200 something for a sign up fee. Is it a fully equiped gym that is open 24 hours. What are they giving you for that fee, you can always talk that fee down if you want to deal with it.

Sounds like they have enough clients, they should be encouraging you to come, they will get more clients by word of mouth then they will ever get with those fees.

KM is well worth it, but that is only after you have made the decision and commitment to train.

kurtuan

We should also remember that the cost of doing business is different depending on the location (Large city vs. small town). It is also important to remember that to the school owner it is (and must be) a business and this not only benefits the owner but the students as well. If you don’t look at it as a business first it could very well fail, then no one benefits. Ultimately the consumer needs to decide if the product is worth the price. Also keep in mind that if a school is doing business charging $X per month plus equipment requirements, then there must be a market for it….

g-v

Re:

I pay $125/month, plus an initial hundred something for level one equipment, and another two hundred for level two gear. It seems like a bit, but I realize that it’s a business. Nobody opens a business (even if it’s a business they love, as my instructors do) to *not* make money.

I’m in the best shape of my life (and still improving), and I learned alot since first starting KM. The price is well worth it for me.

siayn

I pay $125 also and had a few hundred dollars of one time startup fees. I spent another $200 or so in gear.

I checked other schools in my area and actually found there were cheaper options. However, the school I attend is 5 minutes from my house (10 minutes if I try to make the 6:15pm class in rush hour). With gas prices the way they are right now, and my desire to train 4-5 days a week, I am probably saving myself money over the lower-cost schools since the next closest school is 15ish miles away. In addition, I am remodeling a house by myself, working on my masters degree, all while working a full-time 50 hour a week job. Paying $25-$50 more a month to go to the school by my house to avoid wasting my very precious time commuting to a cheaper school makes sense to me.

Ultimately I think Ryan nailed this….If you dont see value, don’t buy it. For my situation, I definately see the value. I would guess though that your situation is probably different from mine or anyone else’s on this thread, so you really have to decide for yourself.

anonymous

I pay $99 a month, and thats Just strictly KM, no extras. There were no other fees. I did get a tee shirt and hand wraps when I joined. But as I said in another thread, there are no requirements for a \”uniform\” of KM shirt and Pants. I sounds to me as if some schools are trying to milk all the money out of a person that they can, seems rather dishonest to me with all these \”enrollment fees.\” What the hell could cost them so much to enroll a person? Like anywhere, there are flakes and fakes in the MA community, there are also many many good people. Use what you learn here about others monthly charges and enrollment \”fees\” (read: extra pocket money for shysters), ask him why $249 to enroll, it’s YOUR money and you have every right to know why you are being charged for something. Also look around at prices for equipment, I got my shin guards for for $15.01 off of E-Bay, but, that is a RARE find! Check the ReVgear website to see if the school is raising the prices (they get a discount for having a school) if they charge more then ReVgear, this should tell you something about their integrity.

Is there anyone from the NTC who could find out what the NTC policies are on these kinds of activities? (enrollmrent fees, requirements for wardrobe) or is this all up to the individual school. Seems to me that they would have rules for \”franchises.\”

andre

The NTC generally gives schools autonomy over these decisions, and rightfully so.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: