Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics How Soft Drinks effect your krav..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I read the other day, while sitting in the dentist’s office because my friend wanted some company before the Dr saw him about his tooth, that soft drinks are bad for more than your teeth. So I did a little net-search and found some interesting information.

“Soft drinks have long been suspected of leading to lower calcium levels and higher phosphate levels in the blood. When phosphate levels are high and calcium levels are low, calcium is pulled out of the bones. The phosphate content of soft drinks like Coca -Cola and Pepsi is very high, and they contain virtually no calcium.”

“The United States ranks first among countries in soft drink consumption. The per-capita consumption of soft drinks is in excess of 150 quarts per year, or about three quarts per week.”

“Soft drink consumption in children poses a significant risk factor for impaired calcification of growing bones.”

At first you may ask “Whats that to do with krav?”, But think about it. Another article I read said it could make you 3 to 4 times more likely to break and or fracture your bones. Krav is rough, no doubt about it. And broken bones mean no krav (if you listen to your doctor)

So anyway, Ive more than halved my soft drink consumption. Im trying to drop it down to only milk and water.

uncleruckus

Re: How Soft Drinks effect your krav..

And America doesn’t use real sugar in our soft-drinks. So you have the added detrimental affects of high fructose corn syrup too :-(. +1 on trying to cut soda consumption. I’ve been pretty soda-free for the past year or so. I’ll maybe have one every other month. It’s funny because it’s something you don’t notice after a while, you don’t really miss it too often. I’m mostly water and gatorade (I hate the taste of most bottled water so i do maybe a 1part to 5 or 6 parts mix just to kill the taste). Good luck with cutting out soda :-).

Cold turkey is the best way to go. Don’t pussyfoot around about dropping the sodas from your daily diet. Try tea instead, if you need the caffiene. I was told by a dietician that if I had to drink sodas drink Diet Sprite or Diet Ginger Ale. Stay away from the dark sodas. And for exactly the reason stated above.

uncleruckus

If you go the diet route beware of even faker sugar (aspertame and sucralose aka splenda). I second the cold-turkey opinion, but some people can handle it, others fall off the wagon easily and need to wean themselves off. Do whatever works for you.
    :beer:

krav-harp

I stopped drinking soda years ago, and switched to selzter. The flavored seltzer has no calories or sugar, and it’s not sickeningly sweet. I drink it plain or mix it with fruit juice.

jonj480

I have finally gotten off the soda as well about 7 months ago. I worked for a soda company for 13 years and got used to always having it around. Very difficult habit to break.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: