Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics How the heck does this work?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    allieoop

I’m a 32 y/o female and I just started my Krav Maga training this week.
    I decided to try Krav Maga to help build my self-awareness, self-esteem and to increase my level of fitness. I was scared as hell to take my first class, but I did.
    I felt a mixture of pure fear and exhileration. It was a great feeling.
    I have a few questions…

1). I have never punched, kicked or elbowed anyone in my life. I have no idea what to do. Even though my instructor was incredibly welcoming and seemed happy to show me, I don’t want to bring down the pace of the class or impede on everyone else’s training. Do they really mind having such a novice in class?

2). I am the only female in my class. While I’m pretty tough, there were a few men who unleashed their fury on me while I was holding the pad. Do guys really mind having women (especially new ones) in class?

3). Will I really get better? I don’t give up and I train hard. I’m really committed to improving but seeing my fellow classmates kicking the crap out of each other makes it seem daunting. The moves and body positions feel so unnatural. Does that go away?

Thanks everyone!

lennykravist

Re: How the heck does this work?

quote Allieoop:

1). I have never punched, kicked or elbowed anyone in my life. I have no idea what to do. Even though my instructor was incredibly welcoming and seemed happy to show me, I don’t want to bring down the pace of the class or impede on everyone else’s training. Do they really mind having such a novice in class?

I’ve only been in 2 fights my entire life, so I couldn’t punch my way out of a wet paper bag either, but don’t fret. You’re just beginning, so of course you’ve have to acclimate to doing Krav. As a point of reference, when I first started doing Krav, my punches and kicks were nothing. One of my recent Level 1 classes, we did drills and kicks. My partner was constantly giving me props on my power on both. Growth, I tell ya! You’ll get used to it. Your punches and kicks will start off soft, but once you get used to wielding them as weapons, you’ll be pleasantly surprised a few months down the road when you’re knocking your partner back a few feet!

And don’t worry about being new. For starters, I take it you’re in a Level 1 class? Also, EVERYONE had to start somewhere, so don’t sweat it. Talk to both your partners and especially instructors, let them know what’s going on and how they can coach you to be better. Be open to coaching (it sounds you are anyway). It’s a beginner class, so just ease into it and enjoy getting into fighting shape!

quote Allieoop:

2). I am the only female in my class. While I’m pretty tough, there were a few men who unleashed their fury on me while I was holding the pad. Do guys really mind having women (especially new ones) in class?

There are women in my class I love pairing with. New ones I (and probably most male practitioners) don’t mind at all. In fact, it’s probably as close to a “real” situation as possible (a male predator would typically attack a female victim). As long as you’re ok with it, your male partners likely would be too. In the end, you can always communicate with your partner on how hard or soft you need to train at this point. As you continue, you’ll get more acclimated.

quote Allieoop:

3). Will I really get better? I don’t give up and I train hard. I’m really committed to improving but seeing my fellow classmates kicking the crap out of each other makes it seem daunting. The moves and body positions feel so unnatural. Does that go away?

YES! You WILL get better! This seems to be a common motif here lately, but don’t compare your skill or growth to those of your classmates who’ve been there longer. Challenge yourself only. Note where you are in the beginning, and in 6 months time and you’ll notice a HUGE difference. Hell, it might be even sooner than that! Believe me, I’m no natural either. Even I start noticing comparing myself to my mates, but then I snap out of it and just focus on myself. Just do what you can do, and the rest will happen. I recently passed into Level 2, and Level 1 doesn’t seem so daunting. It’ll get easier, just don’t give up. Krav trains you mentally, not just physically, STICK WITH IT and you’ll do fine.

And congratulations on beginning your Krav journey! Personally, it pleases me to hear when someone takes the initiative to learn to defend themselves with self-defense, a martial art, etc. So stick with it and good luck in your training!

kmyoshi

1) You’ve come to the right place to learn. You don’t need to have any previous martial arts experience to utilize Krav Maga effectively. I’m assuming you are taking Level 1 classes. This is where EVERYONE starts at, so no, we [they] do not mind having new people in class. We’re all here to learn and help one another.

2) This is good because training against bigger people will make your training that much better. While it is possible that someone smaller than you can attack you, you’re much more likely to get attacked by someone bigger, looking for an “easy” target.

3) You will get better as long as you put the effort into it. You already have the recipe for success which is train hard and don’t give up. Just show up to class! It’s normal for you to feel that the moves and body position feels unnatural, it’s because you’re not use to it! I felt the same way before as well, especially with the movements that we do, but I kept at it and now it feels like second nature. Have fun with your training.

maddogmean

I don’t think I could add anymore to what has been already posted, so I’d like just say “welcome” and keep on training. Great things lie ahead.

allieoop

You all have put me at ease!
    Fear of the unknown is a strong thing…but that’s exactly why I’m doing this.
    Thank you all!

bigtrees

quote Allieoop:

1). Do they really mind having such a novice in class?

No, they welcome you. *Everyone* starts at the beginning. The instructor knows that *you* have the potential to be the toughest person in the class if you just work hard and stick at it.

quote Allieoop:

2). there were a few men who unleashed their fury on me while I was holding the pad. Do guys really mind having women (especially new ones) in class?

It might have seemed like they were unleashing their fury on you but that would have been an extremely unusual thing to do. From their perspective they might have felt like they were constraining themselves to a great degree and focusing a lot more on technique than power? It’s hard to say without seeing them in action but it’d be absolutely counterproductive to a strong mindset for them to pick on you.

Personally I have no problem training with women – whether new or otherwise. The biggest difference for me when training with a women is that I have a very strong desire not to hurt them, and I have no idea what they feel when I punch them in the chest through the thick pad. I always say “let me know if I hit too hard” but so far no one has.

quote Allieoop:

3). Will I really get better? I don’t give up and I train hard. I’m really committed to improving but seeing my fellow classmates kicking the crap out of each other makes it seem daunting. The moves and body positions feel so unnatural. Does that go away? Thanks everyone!

You’ll become an expert and you’ll find that what they’re doing is not so extraordinary. Focus on preparing yourself for your first test rather than taking it class-by-class.

Our tests are 6 – 7 hours long and start with very exhausting exercises like jumping lunges and jumping squats. Prepare for this. Memorize the names of all your defenses so you can do them with confidence as soon as you’re told to rather than looking around the room hoping to work out what to do. And practice them a million times until they’re automatic – when you’re being choked by eight people after six hrs of brutal testing you don’t want to be guessing what’s the right thing to do. The tests are where it’s at – the classes are just a way to get invited to do the tests. Have fun!

tzrider

quote bigtrees:

It might have seemed like they were unleashing their fury on you but that would have been an extremely unusual thing to do. From their perspective they might have felt like they were constraining themselves to a great degree and focusing a lot more on technique than power? It’s hard to say without seeing them in action but it’d be absolutely counterproductive to a strong mindset for them to pick on you.

^^^^ This.

In our school, we seldom have a small woman hold a kick pad for a large man. When it does happen, the men always restrain their kicks. I’m the largest person at our school and if I were to kick any of the women in class, they would go halfway across the room. Not productive for them and it would make me an a-hole. Even so, a restrained kick from a large person might get a smaller person’s attention, especially if they have never experienced being kicked before.

You’ll desensitize to it over time. One thing holding a pad does is give you perspective on being on the receiving end of various techniques. I frequently think, “Glad that pad is there!”

cinnamongirl

Congrats on starting your Krav training! One of my favourite things about Krav is that it is designed for anyone to be able to learn. Stick with it and you WILL get better! Don’t worry about asking questions during class – any instructor worth his/her salt love students who are eager to learn. One thing I can never stress enough – communication is the key. If you are not clear on a technique – ask your instructor. Is your partner going a little too hard on you – ask them to hold back a bit until you are more comfortable with the techniques. Have fun and before you know it, you’ll be kicking the crap out of your fellow classmates in no time! 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: