Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics How To Deal with a Crazy Partner

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    lemarteau

This guy I sometimes get paired off with (who I think is mentally disturbed) is into hurting people (seems to me, any way). He seems to enjoy hurting people, and seems to have not enough control. I think he’s going to end up seriously hurting someone (as in, maybe paralyze someone) and I don’t intend for it to be me.

What is the best way to handle this? Should I just refuse to train with him, should I just refuse to do potentially lethal drills with him, should I talk to the instructor, should I talk to HIM, should I just be a man about it and risk what I consider potentially long term damage?

chris

I think mentioning your concerns to your instructor before or after class sounds reasonable.

kurtuan

I agree, talking to your instructor is the best way to handle it…

kravjeff

Agree – Or beat him down to China Town! 😈

al

I’m not sure what school you’re practicing at, but it’s not a good sign that the instructor has not noticed this behavior. Make him ( or her ) aware of the situation before you get hurt. If they don’t step in and make sure you can practice safely, your choices are limited; crack open the yellow pages and find a better place to train, or kick this guy’s ass.
    My instructors are constantly moving around the class and watching what is happening. They tell us when to dial it down a notch, and when to turn it up to \”11\”. Guess I’m pretty lucky.

anonymous

Have other people noticed this, too? Would be even better if a whole group of students complained. The instructor should definitely talk to him. I wouldn’t try to \”kick his ass\” or anything like that, those kinds of things usually don’t end well. Just try to reason with him (maybe he isn’t aware of how hard he is going?). Avoid him if he refuses to change.

An example of a situation would be helpful. Is he just stonger than you, and punches or kicks the pad to hard? Or has he given you a bloody nose during light contact inside defenses? There is a big difference between the two.

That being said, if this guy is going all out and the instructor doesn’t realize it, your instructor sucks. No offense.

I wouldn’t fight the guy – you could end up getting kicked out of the school.

Besides, our instructor told us that if we make someone bleed, we’d have to go a round with him. 😯 That’s no bueno.

kravronny

My old instructor always said….if your partner is being a little rough…then you can be a little rough back.

psyops

TALK TO YOUR INSTRUCTOR!

Guys,

Student safety is always the primary concern in class. Your Instructor should always know when a student is putting others in danger! I would not tolerate that in my class! Not for one second!

kravmdjeff

I echo the same thing others have said. The burden belongs to the instructor.

Sledge…I can imagine Otis saying that. I’m going to have to steal that one.

mongo2k6

Definitely bring it to the attention of the instructor. A good training partner is responsible for the of the safety of his partner. That said, good training partners should complement each other and know how hard to push and when to cut back.

You also have the option of refusing to train with him if you think he is being a jerk. When enough people refuse he’ll figure it out.

Re: How To Deal with a Crazy Partner

quote \”LeMarteau\:

This guy I sometimes get paired off with (who I think is mentally disturbed) is into hurting people (seems to me, any way). He seems to enjoy hurting people, and seems to have not enough control. I think he’s going to end up seriously hurting someone (as in, maybe paralyze someone) and I don’t intend for it to be me.

What is the best way to handle this? Should I just refuse to train with him, should I just refuse to do potentially lethal drills with him, should I talk to the instructor, should I talk to HIM, should I just be a man about it and risk what I consider potentially long term damage?

I know what you mean. I’ve had a crazy partner many times before. She’s not as bad as this guy you’ve been partnered up with, but I’ve gotten hurt by her before. She’s crazy because even though you’re supposed to be agressive in class it almost like she doesn’t have control of her punches, hammerfist, etc. She’s crazy. I’m afraid to hold the tombstone against my chest. I put it in front of my face. I’ve been hit in the eye, the face, and left with bruises when I’ve partnered up with her. She’s the only one who does this to me. I usually try to avoid her, but I get partnered up with her because we are close in height. My mom says I should either tell her we can’t be partners or talk to the teacher. I’m not sure what to do. I’m afraid she’s going to hurt me pretty bad sometime.

maskedkat

Jeez! Hasn’t your instructor noticed?

If you’re having to hold the tombstone in front of your face, you’re running the risk she’s going to actually be accurate with one of those hammerfists or elbows and crack your sternum. She sounds dangerous. Definitely speak to your instructor, because you’re not getting what you need out of your own training with this girl as a partner.

jl

Chicadee,
    Ask your instructor to partner with someone taller and larger, so that you can train in a more real environment of the street attacker. If he doesn’t get it ‘splain it to him’ and I’m sure you will be partnered with someone else. 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: