Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics How to increase punch stamina

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    magronbass

Im just a beginner and pretty unfit in general. When we practice blocks, when my punches get blocked by my buddy from out towards in, or when i am blocking and i am blocking from in towards out, my muscular endurance is quite limited.

My shoulder muscle (deltoids) gets sore, so i know thats what to train, but not sure what translates to fast, explosive power. Low reps on weights? 4-6rep for power.. But that doesnt train for endurance. I used to do short distance on track, so having to train for power and endurance at the same time is mind boggling.

unstpabl1

Re: How to increase punch stamina

I’m confused by the title and the content. Punch endurance? or blocks?

In Muay thai, we do a lot of rounds with 3 lb weights. we’ll run throwing punches with them, shadowbox, tech drills, even bag and lite mitt work.

I did the same when I took Muay Thai. Getting into the bag conditioning class and wearing 16 oz gloves helped out a ton, so did shadow boxing with 5ib weights and jump roping. It takes some time and is not a pleasant process, but eventually you’ll get there. Do some core work too. In combatives other than Krav I’ve seen guys try to muscle their way through strikes and blocks where they could have used their core to assist and this resulted in injury or fatigue onset very quickly.

unstpabl1

Last night after a seminar I took with Samart, a MT legend and former WBC boxing champ and Saekson all the Thia kru’s were talking about the village fights

kru santi said always pick the guy with big biceps and stay away from the guy with big shoulders.

He also said don’t be afraid of the guy all the scars on his face worry about the pretty boy because he doesn’t get hit. This was even more funny as Samart is now an actor/singer and model. He doesn’t look like he ever fought

jburtonpdx

train… hit classes, hit multiple classes.. does the gym your at have a cross fit or similar program? It will come in time, training is what will get you there. All the things suggested will help, but remember, nothing worthwhile is going to happen overnight…

tzrider

You’ll get explosive power from high weight, low rep exercises. You’ll get endurance from exercises that require endurance: High rep, comparatively low weight.

In our school, we do a fair number of push-ups of various sorts, including with feet elevated, hands elevated, headstand push-ups and so on. We do pyramid sets from time to time, where you punch a wavemaster or other bag twice, then do a push-up, punch 4 times, do a push-up, etc., until you work up to ten push-ups. Then you work your way back down.

One thing we don’t do are isometrics that work the deltoids. I have not yet begun to do so, but I keep meaning to try some isometrics to improve my ability to keep my hands up all the time when sparring. As I tire, I can still hit and block, but my hands seem to sink lower and lower without my permission. 😉

blokrocbet

Supersets, lots and lots of super sets, I do 12 sets of chest tri supersets. That and crossfit thanks guard dawg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: