Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge How/where to learn Arabic besides RosettaStone?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    murdr

Basically, after I do a few years of Law Enforcement and possibly ATF or DEA, I want to attempt to join the FBI, and to stand out more, I want to learn Arabic.

Since this is the Israeli self-defense forum, I’d assume quite a few people here know how to speak Arabic and can guide me in the right direction? Not sure if this forum has reputation points, but if so, reps for good answers.

Thanks in advance. Keep in mind I’m a college student on a budget, hence why I said no RosettaStone (unless you can point me in the right direction on PirateBay or something).

Re: How/where to learn Arabic besides RosettaStone?

I’d say you need to have an idea of whether you want to learn Arabic or if you want to learn Pashto or Farsi instead. Do some research on geographical areas that are homes to terrorist groups, terrorist training camps, or the recipient of a large number of high-profile terrorist attacks involving Arabic/Arabic dialect speaking people. I’m not sure what your goal for joining one of those agencies is, but that would also help you out. For example, having a good working knowledge of Spanish (Mexico, not Spain) would put you in good with ATF, DEA and CBP (for a special agent position) but maybe not with the FBI as much as standard Arabic, Farsi, or Pashto would. If you’re looking at an IT position within one of those agencies, maybe learning Mandarin would help. In this information age I’m sure there are plenty of resources available, you may even be able to find someone selling their Rosetta Stone software, or find a teacher that teaches the language. Bottom line is that unless you can immerse yourself in the language for an hour or two a day, you’re going to have a rough time learning it. You need to understand it, hear it spoken, and speak it correctly-letters aren’t just something that spell words when put together, they’re the audible foundation of a language and letters from other languages aren’t as easy, or natural, to sound out as English to an English-native speaker. Arabic, for example, has quite a few throat noises that are strange.

murdr

^Probably would just want to learn Arabic, and then maybe learn a dialect from there. Definitely don’t want to learn Spanish, as it’s not “unique” enough to actually make me stand out.

grizz8006

Arabic is a very hard language to learn. I have taken Arabic in the past and had a difficult time with the writing, and diffrent Dialects. You should see about taking a course at a college if you are serious about it

murdr

quote grizz8006:

Arabic is a very hard language to learn. I have taken Arabic in the past and had a difficult time with the writing, and diffrent Dialects. You should see about taking a course at a college if you are serious about it

Yeah, but I’m going to go to Fairmont State in WV, and no colleges nearby have it (even if they did I wouldn’t go to their school JUST to learn Arabic…).

grizz8006

Got ya I did a non credit course so It was about 130 a semster and I really did learn alot just that the written part of the class killed me.. There is cheaper products that are just like Rossita stone

relli-kant

To start, you could go to a local bookstore (or search the internet) and get an instructional book with audio tapes or cds. Cheaper than Rosetta Stone, but similar. They will have individual lessons, start out easy, explain the word structure, grammar etc. Audio tapes are important, as you will need to learn the pronunciation.

Once you’ve learned your first couple of phrases, try to have a conversation in your mind, using the words and word structure you’ve just learned. Maybe even think about something that’s happening in your own day, have a dictionary handy and look up any words you don’t know. Always think in the language you are trying to learn, don’t translate too much. That makes it easier to start feeling the flow of the language.

Being able to build those first couple of phrases in your new language is a great experience, but then comes the bummer: Grammar rules. 🙁

Lots of dry stuff to study and memorize. That’s when a lot of people quit. You just have to stick with it. Think about everyday stuff again, using your new language, new tenses and brand new phrases and the dictionary.

Once you are able to speak okay, try to read simple books in your new language. Children’s books are easiest to start. Then more comprehensive ones. Newspapers as well. If you can’t get those, look for Arabic language websites.

Also listen to television/radio to improve your skills. News shows are easiest to understand, as the anchors speak very clearly. If there is no Arabic tv/radio channel in your area, go to youtube and google some Arabic language videos. It doesn’t matter what they are about, the main thing is to hear the spoken language. Then try to think about whatever you’ve just heard in that video using your new language. Voice your opinion on the subject in your mind, using that language.

These are all great exercises. Music is another thing that can help. If you can find some Arabic music with lyrics that you like, you can listen to it and learn a lot of new words memorizing the lyrics. Don’t worry, there is pop, rap, rock everywhere, not just traditional stuff! 🙂

Finally, if you can find someone to talk to who actually knows the language, that would help as well. Just try to have a conversation with that person and always have that dictionary handy. If that person knows English, even better, then he/she can give you instant translations.

Learning a new language isn’t easy, but you can do so on your own if you are determined and just stick with it. Maybe try one lesson a day, no matter what. Think in Arabic when you are walking to the store etc, even while doing Krav Maga. And don’t let the grammar portion scare you off!

Good luck!

ruekzgrdei
    Blocked

blake griffin dunk on kendrick perkins golden globe winners

Really difficult Karen Millen Stores to walk the saline, a tiny territory out of any drum package deal using patches from the sparsifolia long, waist-high, planet tote crater involving the quite gentle ground,Chanel Bags the footwear can get into the lure unintentionally. Regardless how tough to wait, simply no mom and dad desire their children to see vulnerability,Hogan Scarpe most of us believe continue with the conclusion. As soon as the event, celebration planner Qu Jian on the far east, next use a alteration by appliance Kate Moss far more profound idea of the way had opted Xuan Zang, the bottom line is your own personal center, and prosperity is not to do, and also strength is not to perform, only with your individual thoughts that belongs to them objectives associated.

ruekzgrdei
    Blocked

discovery shuttle maya angelou

Really difficult Karen Millen Online just to walk your saline, a smaller territory from a drum deal together with areas with the sparsifolia prolonged, waist-high, earth handbag crater relating to the really smooth ground,Chanel Bags the actual shoes or boots will get into the capture by accident. Regardless of how challenging to wait around, simply no parents need their kids to view susceptability,Hogan Scarpe most of us consider go through stop. As soon as the occasion, occasion advisor Qu Jian around the eastern side, then possess a alteration by appliance Kate Moss much more profound knowledge of the way choose to go Xuan Zang, the secret is your personal heart, as well as success has nothing to complete, and also power is not to complete, just with your personal brain of their own anticipation related.

swaksub

quote MURDR:

Basically, after I do a few years of Law Enforcement and possibly ATF or DEA, I want to attempt to join the FBI, and to stand out more, I want to learn Arabic.

Since this is the Israeli self-defense forum, I’d assume quite a few people here know how to speak Arabic and can guide me in the right direction? Not sure if this forum has reputation points, but if so, reps for good answers.

Thanks in advance. Keep in mind I’m a college student on a budget, hence why I said no RosettaStone (unless you can point me in the right direction on PirateBay or something).

I’m doing the same thing to get into the FBI. I’m working on my degree
    in Justice Studies with a concentration in Terrorism & Homeland Security.
    I’m studying Hebrew using Pimsleur, and I like it a lot. It’s super easy to
    grasp. Reading and writing is way more difficult, and I use worksheets
    made for Hebrew School for kids. Arabic and Farsi are next on my list.
    I’ve got the Pimsleur files for those too. I can probably get them to you
    if you want. 🙂

kmky

http://www.openculture.com/freelanguagelessons has a few for arabic lessons (as well as many other languages).

You should join the tuition center where you can learn Arabic. There you can get more knowledge arabic language as well as buy some islamic books from the book store and read them regularly which will results you to learn arabic more easily. Also you can learn online also by downloading the pdf files or from the online books also.

krav4fun

The military’s DLI has some of the best resources, better than Rosetta Stone and free. Start with Modern Standard Arabic for the basics, then decide if you’re interested in learning a dialect. I’d recommend Egyptian or Levantine for the abundance of media in those dialects.

http://hs2.lingnet.org/
    Select Modern Standard Arabic or a dialect of your choice.
    After you complete the headstart:
    https://gloss.dliflc.edu/
    Reading/listening level 0+, then 1, then 1+, etc.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Krav4Fun:

The military’s DLI has some of the best resources, better than Rosetta Stone and free. Start with Modern Standard Arabic for the basics, then decide if you’re interested in learning a dialect. I’d recommend Egyptian or Levantine for the abundance of media in those dialects.

http://hs2.lingnet.org/
    Select Modern Standard Arabic or a dialect of your choice.
    After you complete the headstart:
    https://gloss.dliflc.edu/
    Reading/listening level 0+, then 1, then 1+, etc.

Good suggestion, Thanks for the input.

Finally, if you can find someone to talk to who actually knows the language, that would help as well. Just try to have a conversation with that person and always have that dictionary handy. If that person knows English, even better, then he/she can give you instant translations.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: