Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Welcome Forums Howdy from Denver

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

So, I am a transplant – 14 years now – now Southern California to Denver. Prior to my move to Denver, I was a student of Yoshinkai Aikido – achieved my 1st Kyu. I has been a number of years, I am a bit older and wish to get back into some form of art that will put me to the test physically. Just wondering if Krav Maga would be something good for a 47 year old? I work out regularly – cardio, weight and yoga.

Just wondering if this is for me? I am thinking two or three days per week and am typically a loyal student.

Any thoughts??!!

mara-jade

Re: Howdy from Denver

Welcome to the forum!

Folks of all ages and sizes do KM – you don’t have to be an athlete to do it. I know I wasn’t when I started. I’ve had to stop a few times (even lately) and the great thing you can just get back into it with some sweat. Your best judge is to try a class for yourself – we can say how much we love it but you’re the one that’s gotta go through the pain to know for surethumbsup

Here’s the CO locations and I saw one in Denver

https://kravmaga.com/colorado.asp

Hope this helps:wav:

Thanks for the reply! I’ve already spoken to John at the Castle Rock location and plan to make an appearance at a class this weekend. Just wanting to get some outside opinions about jumping in. The physical nature of the art isn’t a detourant. Just hoping I can keep up!

mara-jade

Believe me, you’ll have plenty of folks who can tell you they had to take a break and slow down at first. It comes with the territory. Really, don’t worry about anyone else – even a level 1 class you’ve got different skill levels (newbies like you, those have done it longer, etc) so just worry about what you can do.

Hubby and I are starting back again – been missing training too much so we’re gonna get right back in with the fitness classes so we won’t take too much of a pounding in classrofl2

Just bring a towel, liquid and a fighting spirit and you’ll be fine:wav:

thumbsupThanks!!

jenn

just saw this – if you are in central Denver then the KM school at 29th & Larimer would be closer than driving all the way to Castle Rock. Contact James or Shannon 720.214.1691.

And welcome to the fun world of krav.

Thanks!! PM sent!!

magamike

Howdy Workin’

I am 47 as well and just started with KM several weeks ago. I am training with James and Shannon’s outfit right now at the Larimer St. location and I was surprised at how fast I can get down there either from Lakewood or the Tech Center. I pondered the same questions you did when considering a martial art at such an “advanced age.” I looked at a lot of things and decided that KM seemed to be the right blend of practical fighting skills and physical conditioning, and it wouldn’t take 10 years of studying katas to get somewhere. Starting late means you really need to drop all the art part and get right to the butt kicking part.

I am in good cardio shape, but was surprised at how quickly the anaerobic kicking and punching drills exhausted me. But after I learned that I didn’t have to put 100% power into every single punch and began focusing more on technique and accuracy, I didn’t have any major problems with the workouts.

I also train at home pretty aggressively with one of those Century “Bob” deals and that is helping get my endurance up too. I tend to go much harder at home because I know if I blow out I won’t be letting a partner down or failing to get through a class. I tend to train for power more in conditioning class and at home.

Maybe I’ll see you around the Larimer St. location if you end up going there.

Good luck!

Hey Mike!! Thanks for the reply and welcome!! Yeah, I like to think that I am in pretty fair shape, regardless of age. But, the kicks and punches do take their toll! Aikido wasn’t nearly as demanding on my cardio/respiratory system. But, I’m having fun and aside from the occassional shot to the groin, I’m having fun!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: