Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Hurt at work today – out of Phase B!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    stevetuna

I got in a crazy fight today with a bad guy (I’m a police detective) and his dog while trying to arrest the guy. The good news is that I was able to arrest the bad guy. The bad news is that the dog, an Akita, used my right forearm for a milk bone substitute. I asked the emergency room doctor if he thought that I could be cleared for Phase B training this coming weekend. He asked me if maybe the bad guy had hit me extra hard in the head or something…

The bottom line is that I’m out for this session. The doc says that there’s a 100% chance that the wounds will become infected (so I’ve got that to look forward to, I guess).

On the other hand, if it wasn’t for constant training in Krav Maga, I would certainly have been hurt more than I was (or worse…). In spite of dealing with a violent suspect while his dog was attacking me, I was able to remain calm and win the fight (well, win the fight with the bad guy – the Akita kicked my ass!). The endless training under stressful conditions that we do at Krav Maga paid huge dividends for me today. A right cross followed by a knee strike resolved the matter. I took a couple of pretty good shots without being concerned. After all, we get conditioned to this through the gentle application of Krav Love, right?

Anyway, that’s my sad story. Train as if your life depends upon it – it just may!

(thoughts for a new drill – fighting a padholder while someone pulls on your strong side arm to take it out of the fight – hmmm….)

devilnuts

Re: Hurt at work today – out of Phase B!

Nice work! Glad you did alright.

tinykrav

Really glad you’re okay! Sorry that it puts the kibosh on your training though. That stinks. Although think of it this way, it gives you more time to riot at the grocery store…

Animal bites are always bad – be glad it wasn’t a cat – those are way worse in terms of germs and infection.

ryan

Steve, in my book, you passed. All the best, brother.

don

Glad to hear you won! Hope the BG is in the hospital. Did he sic his dog on you or was it just defending it’s owner? Did you have back up at the time?

don

Almost forgot – heal up quick bro!

stevetuna

Thanks to all for letting me whine…

I’m bummed out because I had been working hard to get ready. Oh well – it wasn’t meant to be, I guess. This just means that I’ll be heading to visit Ryan and company in NC in February!

Don – as usual, all the useful things like radios, tazers and backup officers were nowhere near where I needed them… It was a dynamic situation (aren’t they all?) and I ended up in a kinda / sorta foot pursuit into a wooded area.

The bad guy was banged up but I was the only one to end up in the ER, sad to say… The next dose of bad news for him will be on Monday when I’m in the courtroom instead of in Maryland. Justice will be served – cold.

stevetuna

Oh – and one more thing…

The dog wasn’t sicced on me. It was simply protecting its master. I never really thought about shooting the dog (um, mostly because my gun hand was being gnawed on). It was wild to try to stack a human and an animal.

The guy tried to groin kick me a couple times but I was able to leg check him each time. In spite of today’s success in that department, I don’t think I’m ready to try my luck against Kelly Campbell real soon!

BTW – here’s what we did last night: http://www.ack.net/drugraid111108.html

munster

quote stevetuna:

Oh – and one more thing…

The dog wasn’t sicced on me. It was simply protecting its master. I never really thought about shooting the dog (um, mostly because my gun hand was being gnawed on). It was wild to try to stack a human and an animal.

The guy tried to groin kick me a couple times but I was able to leg check him each time. In spite of today’s success in that department, I don’t think I’m ready to try my luck against Kelly Campbell real soon!

BTW – here’s what we did last night: http://www.ack.net/drugraid111108.html

Nice man glad to hear your doing good hope that guy got the broken seat belt on the way to jail as for Phase B dont worry it will always be there and youll be far more prepared for it next time around.

devilnuts

The article makes it sound so routine.

kylestyle913

thank god you are ok. great job keeping it all together and using it when you needed to.

la-revancha

Glad you made it through alive, Steve. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Thanks for sharing. Hearing the impact or Krav, no pun intented, when dealing with douchebags reinforces why I keep training.

edsko

Well done! I hope the infection doesn’t get too bad.

I’ve always thought that we should include some training against dogs — although what or how I’m not sure! Are there people out there that do that kind of thing?

russell

rest, get better, take the antibiodics, and thanks for all the work that you and your brothers in blue do

garddawg

Steve sorry about the injury. I’m with Ryan on this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: