Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    leam

After a class of punching bags full force, my shoulders will hurt occasionally at the top and slightly frontwards. Near the bony part that connects to the clavicle, it will twinge a little for days. Am I just feeling the effects of being old and creaky or is this something to be more worried about?

Not sure what rotator cuff damages are but enough folks seem to have them; that’s what’s got me worried.

Thanks!

Leam

drlvegas

Re: Hurting shoulders?

Go get it checked out. I’m 42, and get that type of pain. I was treated by a doctor for shoulder impingement syndrome.

If it’s impingement, it can be treated with PT, ice and anti-inflamitories. Impingement can progress into a rotator cuff tear if you don’t take care of it–which ultimately means surgery.

happyloaf

I have the same problem….might have to look into getting it treated. Right now I use ice after every class and that seems to help.

leam

Drat…good information, bad luck. I’m currently in a job search so getting anything checked out is beyond my finances. I’ll have to take it easy for a bit and use ice and advil.

Thanks!

Leam

drlvegas

Getting old sucks. The PT I did was all stuff I now do at home. If you do some surfing you can find some stretches and strengthening excercises on the net. I do two strengthening excercies and three stretches. The one that makes my shoulders feel the best are kettlebell halos–you can find it on youtube.

brotherobin

If you don’t mind taking supplements, I definitely recommend trying Super Cissus rx from USP labs. I’ve suffered some serious knee pain since I had surgey 7 years ago. I’ve tried many different glucosamine, MSM etc. products for joint pain over that time. And between a little Osteo Bi-Flex and super cissus every day… man, I’m virtualy pain free. It’s good stuff.

don

Are your guys’ shoulders hurting from punching/striking only or are you also holding pads? My shoulders are a little messed up, especially the right one, from holding focus mitts and thai pads for so many years.

And yes, getting old DOES suck… 🙁 lol

happyloaf

I don’t know what causes mine to hurt. It normally is a little sore after a workout but in the morning it KILLS. Then by the next evening it is back to a dull chronic ache.

spartankrav

I’d just add to look at the totality of your workouts, not just what you are doing in Krav. I was found to have a joint space narrowing in my left shoulder. It sounds like the same type of pain being described in this thread. I used to love doing dips at the gym. Unfortunately, I was doing them in such a way and in such volume that it caused rubbing of the bones in my shoulder. It was extremely painful. I did not, however, have to give up Krav or miss a day of it. I simply stopped doing dips. I also laid off some of the push-ups in class. My Dr had me get the inflammation out with ibuprofen. Once the inflammation was gone, and I had changed some of workout habits, I havent had a problem in KM or BJJ.

Good luck

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: