Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Hydrating during training question

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Ok I admit Iím totally out of my element when it comes to nutrition etc so I have a pretty silly question for those who are smarter then me.

The vending machine in the lounge has various drinks in it most of which are high in sugar like Gatorade and those other top fuel style adrenaline enhancers which are made from sugar and a tad of water to qualify them as a liquid. Theres even those big Starbucks iced drinks loaded with caffeine.

Iím not sure why anyone would drink RedBull and work out? Even Gatorade seems like it would make you crash right after the first hour of training. Sure you would get a rush but man wouldnít you come down really hard right afterwards?

I try and drink at least one Aquafina per hour class and that seems to work for me but whats the deal with all the energy drinks are they bad or should I be drinking those like LOL.. water.

vwr32

If you’re fine without them, I would continue to avoid them. What I like to do when it comes to any sports drink or food supplement, is to break down the ingredients and see if there is any substance to the hype.

When you read the labels on the drinks, you’ll see the same ingredients appear over and over. Since you brought up RedBull, here’s a quick break down of what makes it special (direct quotes from the redbull website):

Taurine:
    Taurine is a conditionally essential amino acid that is naturally occurring in the human body. \”Conditionally essential\” means that in some situations or under certain conditions, as, for example, in situations of high stress or physical exertion, increased amounts of taurine are eliminated from the body and cannot be replaced by the body in sufficient amounts.

Glucuronolactone:
    Glucuronolactone is a carbohydrate.
    It is naturally occurring in the human body, where it is involved in detoxification processes, supporting the body in eliminating waste substances.
    Glucuronolactone is also present in various foodstuffs, such as grain and red wine.

Caffeine:
    Caffeine is known for its beneficial effects on mental and physical functions. It has been shown to improve, for example, reaction speed, alertness and concentration. Caffeine also stimulates fat-burning during endurance activities and thereby helps to use fat stores in the body, which results in a more efficient supply of energy.

B-Group Vitamins:
    B-group vitamins play an important role in energy metabolism, such as the build-up and break-down of carbohydrates, fat and protein. B vitamins are also shown to support mental and physical performance.

One of the reasons I like N.O. Xplode for energy is because I don’t seem to \”crash\” from it like I do with a lot of the energy drinks. They’re definately not something I’d look to for hydration however. Pre-workouts or just before class, yeah I’ll have an energy drink. During any workout, water is all I use for hydration. For long duration exercise (such as a mini-marathon), throw in something like Gatorade which is going to replace electrolytes. At least that’s my mix. 😉

jburtonpdx

For a single class, I’m usually fine with water. Longer, I have something with electrolytes – propel, or Gatorade (lots of sugar in Gatorade though). Anything longer then 3 hours – Im drinking Gatorade or if I have it Accelorade.

During Phase I found for myself that I had to have something beyond water after about 2 or 3 hours. Accelorade has some whey protein in it, this seemed to help very much. I would not say I had lots of energy, but I was able to drag my butt back to the hotel somewhat easily with the use of Accelorade throughout the day. Of course the site of the bed seemed to trigger something in me when I got back to the hotel and any energy I had to after class disappeared immediately.

full-force

jburtonpdx

Where do you train at in Columbus, OH?

jburtonpdx

Ohio Krav Maga and Fitness

We are in Gahanna Ohio – small city just outside of Columbus.

giant-killer

I drink only water. I put it in the freezer before I come over to the NTC, so it’s ice cold and stays like that for the three/four hours I’m usually there. Nothing better than ice cold water when you are really thirsty.

blindfold

Usually I have a gatorade before , water during, and a protein shake after. Mostly water though. Our classes are a hour and then I usually work out after, if it’s not to muscle straining.

veganmark

Water, that’s all I drink. I have my big 40 oz. Klean Kanteen, which leaches no toxic chemicals. I add 1/4 tsp of himalyan salt to this. You can learn more about the watercure on http://www.watercure.com. That’s it. I also make sure I drink about two cups of water an hour before. This way my body is fully hydrated before class.

g-v

Giantkiller drinks lowenbrau to keep hydrated.

bradm

Becks oder Parkbrau ist auch gut!

nixxon

I’m a fan of drinking just straight water for hour long classes. If I were to do anything longer than that I would get powdered gatorade and mix it to about 65% of the strength. Reason being that your blood sugar remains constant and you don’t have a huge rush of sugar. Pre-mixed bottled gatorade uses HFCS (High fructose corn syrup) which wreaks havoc on your insluin (Thats what controls blood sugar). Powdered gatorade has glucose (Which is pretty much what enters your blood stream after carbs are broken down).

In short….. Powdered gatorade is superior to ready-to-drink and you can control the amount of sugar in it. Plus I like to add creatine and some B vits to it as well if its going to be a bitch of a session.

giant-killer

Warsteiner and Bitburger, actually. And nothing gets you going like a good shot of good Obstler (Plum liquor). Or that Austrian rum, with 80% alcohol! 😯 It sets your mouth on fire and makes you shoot flames like a dragon. Always impressive in fight class.

g-v

I’ve sparred drunk before. Well, not drunk, but pretty buzzed, haha. 😆

giant-killer

We should do this more often. Drunk fighting. Nice little party and then turn out the lights and start brawling. It’ll be great!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: