Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics I am seriously considering pursuing Krav Maga, but I have a concern

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dirkmcgirk

It seems as though most of the training is “dead” and not “alive”. The thing I like about it is that it doesn’t seem to be a cookie cutter MMA school, the bad thing seems to be the lack alive training. Almost all the training looks dead with no real live action. I realize the sheer brutal nature of it limits the amount of alive action you can do because of the deadly force, but maybe i just don’t know what i’m talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imjmLWj5WCU

Re: I am seriously considering pursuing Krav Maga, but I have a concern

Consider that the people who you see in that video are at least proficient and probably have been practicing for years. What you’re watching is an advertisement for that particular person’s point of view and product, which is martial arts training. I can’t speak for any particular school but in my experience a new student is more dangerous to a training partner than an experienced one. A new student doesn’t understand when to tap, or when to stop if their training partner doesn’t tap. Additionally, you can’t teach proper technique and form at full speed and power. The Krav school I’ve attended had “aliveness” kind of training from the first day I was there. There were limits. If you disagree, I suggest you borrow a pistol and show up to the Bianchi Cup to compete. You will do poorly. You don’t have the years of experience spent mastering the shooting fundamentals, your particular pistol and the rounds you fire through it. Go take a trial class or two w/ your local school and see how you feel about it.

mara-jade

Welcome to the Forum

Tactical’s right on-Take a class or 2 before you judge. The classes I took were realistic but there HAVE to be limits or folks can get seriously injured.

One time there was a student who didn’t know when to hold back as he was told. After doing it one too many times, Hubby had no problem bringing this to the instructor’s attention and it was taken care of.

Another time lower level students were allowed in a gun class with the upper level. At the beginning all were told by the instructor take the training guns as REAL. You always treat a gun as loaded (fake or not). A few got stupid and didn’t want to take things slow, so they were quickly kicked out of class.

Those who hubby and I found who pretended they were a bada$$ when we knew they had no clue, we refused to train with. If you don’t have or have forgotten the foundation built to know the limits, one needs to go back to Level 1.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. That I know is truethumbsup

Not trying to discourage you but all the weapons stuff doesn’t mean jack without a foundation to build on. We had to wait our time like everyone else before we could learn the ‘fun stuff’.

Hope this helps:wav:

I’ve seen a couple of Marines kicked out of grey (level two in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program) belt course and green (level 3) belt course because they had not conducted sustainment training to maintain the foundation they learned in tan (level 1) belt. In the case of green belt they didn’t maintain proficiency in grey belt. It’s kinda like starting a marathon of sprinting as fast as you can go and burning yourself out quickly. It’s not about how fast you start off, its about how fast you can maintain.

greenbeanie

I concur with TacticalTimmy and Mara_Jade. We all know that we have to crawl before we walk and when we have mastered this skill, the next thing is learning to run. You can’t expect to do much alive training if you haven’t mastered the basics. We do plenty of alive training at my school, but it’s scaled to experience.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: