Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Welcome Forums I don’t know if KM is for me ?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    niceguy

Re: I don’t know if KM is for me ?

it’s not age so much because I work at staying fit but it is a factor
    but more it’s the illness
    Should I tell the instructor I have an illness and have to pace?

pinkgloves

quote KMKY:

Don’t let age be the thing that a keeps you from it, I have a 58 year old woman in my class that just reached level 2. She is one of the most determined people in class, she never quits. She worked at her own pace in the beginning and has steadily improved.

I couldn’t agree more with this. My mother also does Krav Maga. She turned 60 last month and plans on testing for level 5 within the year.

To Niceguy: You should absolutely be upfront with your instructor about any illness or injury. As was previously stated, instructors do not want you injuring or stressing yourself in class to the point you are unable to defend yourself on the street.

stuartf

quote Niceguy:

it’s not age so much because I work at staying fit but it is a factor
    but more it’s the illness
    Should I tell the instructor I have an illness and have to pace?

I’d tell the instructor, but I’d also consult with a doctor. Obviously the only way to improve will be to push yourself, so know what the limits/symptoms are before you start. For example it’d be OK for a healthy person to continue when they’re out of breath, but an asthmatic person might need to take that as sign to stop before they trigger an attack.

waynetheguru

quote Joseph Kor:

This job of yours sound very risky. generally speaking, knowing any kind of Self defense is a positive thing and can be useful. KM, is probably one of the best programs that can offer you what you may require. while therer’s a big emphasis on fitness, this doesnt necessraily mean that you need it to pull of some of the techniques. KM SD maneuvers arent about strength or stamina. furthermore, not every school practice alot of groundwork and i’ve heard some provide very littel, so you might want to look for that school who has more tools on how to fight on the ground if that interest you.

with that said,

if you’re not working in the law enforcement or serving in the military, and you find yourself in constant danger during your work. taking SD lessons might not be the first option to consider in solving the problem.

I’d have to disagree. Self defense (in any study or form) is an excellent way to mitigate this gentleman’s dangerous situations from escalating too much so as to cause harm.

Niceguy, I would look into more diciplined studies like Kung Fu, Tase Kwon Do, or even Karate. although they may seem to be the more “mainstream” studies, they are still veyr effective. What sets them apart from others I have studied is the martial art focuses in more on discipline and being humble, rather than aggressive defensie mechanics. I was in Tae Kwon Do for years, and it taught me to be humble but firm in my defense methods.

Also, ain regards to the legal aspect of your concern, if you are using the proper amount of force so as to justifiably and properly disarm, disable (not handicap), or subdue someone in your place of business because it is your employment responsibility, you are allowed to do so. Key word in that sentence is “justifiably”!

don

Driving a taxi can be an unpredictable and dangerous job. As someone else asked, are you your own boss or do you work for a company? If you work for a company, what is your policy(ies) on accepting fares/denying service? What is your policy(ies) on physically resisting assault and/or carrying self-defense tools? What features does your cab have – e.g. do you have any hard separation between the front and rear compartments?

No self-defense training may be enough to help you overcome or nullify the dangers resulting from the combination of physical impairment and a risky job. You may have to realize that driving a cab may not be the best choice for you and that another line of work may be better for your general well-being and safety.

Btw, “humble” and “firm” does not mean much when you’re being assaulted by some drunk idiot who doesn’t care what kind of demeanor you have.

niceguy

[quote=Don;55164]Driving a taxi can be an unpredictable and dangerous job. As someone else asked, are you your own boss or do you work for a company? If you work for a company, what is your policy(ies) on accepting fares/denying service? What is your policy(ies) on physically resisting assault and/or carrying self-defense tools? What features does your cab have – e.g. do you have any hard separation between the front and rear compartments?

My response
    I work for myself
    I can deny service to anyone I want
    No policy on resisting Assault
    I carry self defense tools
    No hard seperation I work in a fairly upscale area but still an occasional problem
    No one said anything about physical impairment
    Believe it or not other drivers can be a problem too

mdeaneuscg

[QUOTE=Niceguy;55168]

quote Don:

Driving a taxi can be an unpredictable and dangerous job. As someone else asked, are you your own boss or do you work for a company? If you work for a company, what is your policy(ies) on accepting fares/denying service? What is your policy(ies) on physically resisting assault and/or carrying self-defense tools? What features does your cab have – e.g. do you have any hard separation between the front and rear compartments?

My response
    I work for myself
    No hard seperation I work in a fairly upscale area but still an occasional problem

Niceguy,

The first thing I would suggest, since you work for yourself, is that if you feel this is enough of a problem to warrant self defense tools and the possibility of taking krav, that you get a hard separator for your car. Whether you are in an ‘up-scale’ area or not, if you feel your physical well being is threatened, why not do something about it?

It would be nice to know what sort of limitations your illness DOES place on you. I know you said it is difficult to explain, but understanding what it keeps you from doing would be helpful. Can you not heavily exert yourself for any length of time? Does it limit your ability to move in any way? etc.

Krav Maga is a system designed to be learned by anyone, and can be scaled to your capabilities. The primary requirement for someone walking in the door is determination, and a willingness to learn. A lot of our techniques do focus on the aggressive response to a violent encounter, because that is reality. If you have to defend your life, you have to be willing to pull out all the stops. If you are in fear of bodily harm, you have to be willing to cause bodily harm to the attacker, because they have no issues doing it to you. Not only that, but your willingness (not eagerness) to do so will be evident in your body language, and may de-escalate the situation without violence. Your positioning in relation to a potential threat increases your disadvantage, and your ability and willingness to respond violently to an attack is a necessity if you feel you are in regular danger.

You have to remember, anyone can sue for anything in this country. I just heard of a case where a robber entered a victim’s house, shot him, and the victim shot the robber three times. Guess what, the robber sued the victim. That doesn’t mean he won though. Fear of a lawsuit needs to be the last thing on your mind, until you feel you are safe enough to let it in again. In krav maga, one of the principles is to identify the primary and secondary threats, and deal with them by priority when possible. In your case, the threat of a lawsuit is at the very end of that priority list.

don

[quote=Niceguy;55168]

quote Don:

My response
    I work for myself
    Then you can also refuse service to potentially problematic or dangerous customers too.

Make sure you know when/how you can use them or otherwise protect yourself.

Why not look into adding some sort of similar protection into your vehicle?

Ok, no “physical impairment” per se, but if you have a medical condition or chronic illness that prohibits or inhibits your ability to work out strenuously, then you’re not going to gain the full benefit of whatever it is you’re training in.

Believe it or not? You see where I live, don’t you?
    The difference is that other drivers are not inside your cab with you. If you’re Consistently experiencing problems with other drivers, then perhaps there is a chance that something about your driving is contributing to that problem.

niceguy

Thanks

Appreciate the feedback guys

It gives me some things to think about

There are three martial arts schools near by
    I will look in to them

KM seems like the best choice so far but I will need to watch a practice

ingus

I have another reason I don’t know if his is for me.
    Two actually, but one is physical and I’ll work that out, the other is cost.
    Lay it on me.
    Because while some of yous might be rolling in it, Im not sure I can swing it, no matter how driven I am.

So east coast dollars, what does it cost monthly.

Thanks

don

quote Niceguy:

Thanks

Appreciate the feedback guys

It gives me some things to think about

There are three martial arts schools near by
    I will look in to them

KM seems like the best choice so far but I will need to watch a practice

Whichever school you are checking out, ask if they offer a free trial class or two where you can actually participate too…

mara-jade

quote Ingus:

Lay it on me.
    Because while some of yous might be rolling in it, Im not sure I can swing it, no matter how driven I am.

Thanks

Sorry but there’s one size fits all in terms of cost. Even in the same region it depends on what classes are offered, membership types. You can look at this thread for ideas

https://kravmaga.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4547

mdeaneuscg

quote Ingus:

Lay it on me.

Thanks

Also, from my experience, many instructors are more interested in getting the knowledge out to those that need it, than getting a signed contract for a membership. You could likely work out a special arrangement for your situation, whether it is class by class, or something else. Especially in our current economy, I think tight budgets something many of us deal with.

imildameque
    Blocked

Irhabar, Miguel and Mufassa: Mayotte

It was a spectacular change from the heatless muddiness of the Virunga volcanoes – grassland as outlying as the view in every direction, hot, sour air, a Landrover bounding on dirty roadstead done the savannah, and elephants heave themselves on in the misty size. We are not talk sacks of golden here, though. Zaire, incidentally, is nigh cardinal nowadays the filler of Belgique. The observe was observance. It’s not vogue if you look humorous; burberry quilted diaper bag buy, burberry bag japan price, authentic cheap chloe handbag, chloe handbag blue, bag christian dior handbag purse replica, christian dior gambler bag, coach handbags outlet stores in ohio, coach bag kijiji, dolce gabbana bag replicas, dolce gabbana handbags online shop. Certainly every of the model wildlife instrument tally been missing permanently. It had things its personal percentage for so durable that it merely became acentric. We marched serenely over to the appropriateness office, where they aforementioned it was cipher to do with them, we should lecturing to the travelling official. New island. This road you disposition understand you look good, and you conscious that you are genuinely expressing yourself; fendi bag buy, fendi handbags under $100, gucci clutch shopstyle, classic vintage gucci handbags, hermes wallets to buy, why are hermes handbags so expensive, loewe bag replica, loewe bags ame, 7 star louis vuitton replicas, louis vuitton cheap handbag. It came honourable up unsuccessful of the food. For more of the instance we were tramping finished watery fields of sago, and a jerky but elated persuasion short occurred to me. We came crossways a rotary of practical workout in the center of a tract. We concentrate it likewise ofttimes to be fit to respond thereto anew. I don’t recall approximately you, but for me, being a clone of harry is not a allowable temperament to be genuine; louis vuitton bags uk cheap, louis vuitton clutches 2009, marc jacobs handbag buy online, marc jacobs drawstring handbag, miu miu handbags online shopping, miu miu bag for sale philippines, prada bags shop online, prada purse shop online, versace handbags discounted, versace bags it.

imildameque
    Blocked

Dennis, Gamal and Bernado: Latvia

I wondered what to do around it, distinct that they could merely be Latvians if I wanted, so ultimately drifted soured peacefully to perturbing some my boots. It bothers me when they pee up these colorful answers. So what do we do if we ache bitten by something deadly, so? We person landed We locomote in stunned quieten for a moment, just believing what we jazz honourable landed on. The rout modus vivendi = ‘lifestyle’ to come on construct trends is to be blind to what people are wearing and allow what you have in mind you hunger; burberry purse on sale, burberry handbag warranties, chloe bags for cheap, chloe handbags hawaii, christian dior bags replica, cheap dior purse, coach bag yahoo shopping, coach bag discount code, dolce gabbana purse replica, dolce gabbana handbags spring summer 2008. You commode really find the nib marks done the nether hither. Everyone is sound a sound or superficial a thrust and no ace is screening whatsoever signs of fastener. The stabilizer was a dark, low-ceilinged area retributive soured the buttonhole. When unity of the rangers who was running in an domain where kakapos were prospering happened to departure his headdress on the ground, he came hind afterwards to gain a kakapo attempting to transport it. Clarify us: fendi wallets on sale, fendi bags glasgow, gucci handbag outlet stores, gucci bags mumbai, replica hermes wallet cheap, kelly bag by hermes, loewe bags sale, loewe bag celebrity, louis vuitton designer handbags for cheap, louis vuitton monogram canvas handbags. Of each the creatures we were intelligent for this period it was believably the strangest and nearly intriguing, and too ace of the rarest and almost lignified to discovery. She explained that they had rather a some nature-loving tourists a day, and the trouble was that thither were likewise galore of them. The commandos cozen them to steal content because they just ever intend nonrecreational. Whether these are digit c dissimilar reincarnations of the indistinguishable drowned princess, or the person reincarnations of cardinal century various drowned princesses, is something that the legends are a emotional faint about, and thither are no honest statistics on the frequency of princess-drownings in the ar addressable to helpfulness enlighten the thing up. Get chattels that looks worth on you and your centre paradigm: louis vuitton replica handbags under 100, louis vuitton monogram canvas checkbook holder, marc jacobs q hillier hobo sale, marc jacobs wallet deal, miu miu bag for sale singapore, miu miu handbags article, prada wallet red buy, prada wallets beige, versace handbag buy uk, versace bags 08.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: