Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge I kinda used my krav today

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    jenn

Let me preface my story by saying I live in the Capitol Hill area of Denver – it’s an old urban ‘hood. Lots of beautiful old buildings. And a fair number of homeless. I’m used to walking my dog around the ‘hood at all times of the day and evening, encountering the homeless and not having any problem. And my dogsitter, Jennifer, lives across the street from me.

This beautiful Colorado morning Jennifer and I decide we’re walking to the 16th Street Mall so I can run some errands. We’re at the corner of our street and very busy one way street – traffic comes from the East. As we’re standing there, waiting for traffic to clear up a drunken man comes towards us asking for money. She ignored him – and I should have. But I hear my mom’s voice in my head telling me I need to respond. Mistake. I tell him no. And he yells at me why not. Me being a smart a$$ say it’s none of his business. I step into the street to cross and this guy grabs my right arm, hard. (I had my library book bag in my right hand and my purse across my body) As I turn to face him I wrench my arm away from him – should have thrown a right hammerfister? – and my left hand came up in a fist. I use my quiet Krav voice and tell him to not touch me again and to leave us alone while all I can hear in my head is “stay in the power position”. Jennifer & I took about 4 steps into the street and this guy is following us. I turn to face him, telling him to leave us alone – all the while in my fighting stance shuffling to the left. (Thanks, Mike for pointing out my fighting stance in Fight Class last night!)

I’d put myself so I was facing traffic and had my hands up, ready to hit as he kept trying to invade my space. Eventually I got to the other side of the street and stopped with him in a lane of traffic. I just didn’t care that he almost got hit.

I just have to say THANK YOU to my Krav instructors. 2 years ago I would have cowered and given this guy my money and felt bad for him and his situation. Today I’m just pissed he touched me and that I didn’t hit him and that I was aware of my surroundings.

mara-jade

Re: I kinda used my krav today

Way to go!!thumbsup

michaelmall

Glad to hear that you didn’t back down.

davidjoel

Nice to hear that you can defend yourself but I still don’t see why you shouldn’t feel bad for his situation? There is probably over 100,000 homeless people in your country and far more alcoholics, it’s not an easy way to live.

devilnuts

You made his day by not beating his face in, and he doesn’t even know it. You’ve given him a gift far greater than money. .

kirsten

Davidjoel,

One thing you should know about many of those people in my country is that being homeless is a choice for the vast majority of transients… As a cop I saw many, many, many that chose to remain homeless and or alcoholic when help was offered to them. Some are mentally ill and are falling between the cracks of our system- for them I am sad and frustrated, but like I said many, many chose that life because they said it was easier then to work at maintaining a home and job.

One can have empathy for them, but sympathy… no, I don’t have sympathy for it… just for the children that are never given a choice, the truely mentally ill, or the starved animals they insist on owning and can’t take care of.

IMO- There is far too much sympathy for the victimizer in my country and not enough for the victim.

bjelder

quote DevilNuts:

You made his day by not beating his face in, and he doesn’t even know it. You’ve given him a gift far greater than money. .

Took the words right out of my mouth! He’s lucky he didn’t try to grab somebody with a short fuse!

Jen, its incredible how patiently and properly you handled that situation. Kudos to you!!

stevetuna

Kirsten – It can’t be said any better than you just did. As a fellow officer, I agree wholeheartedly. Thanks.

Jenn – I think that you need to give yourself high marks all around. You and your friend are safe. You didn’t end up in a fight that could have involved a weapon (most homeless have knives at the ready) or blood-related diseases (Hep C, anyone? Um, no thanks…). You were prepared and you survived without injury. That’s a win all day long.

Thanks for the honesty in your post, too. The only thing wrong is your use of the term “kinda”. No, you DID use your Krav Maga that day. You employed it so that you could continue to walk in peace. Well done, in my book.

jenn

quote davidjoel:

Nice to hear that you can defend yourself but I still don’t see why you shouldn’t feel bad for his situation? There is probably over 100,000 homeless people in your country and far more alcoholics, it’s not an easy way to live.

davidjoel –
    I have my Master’s in Social Work. I spent 3 years working in an Army hospital helping medically discharged soldiers start to prepare for life outside the Army. Then I spent 4+ years working as a Child Protection Investigator – I was the one who removed children from bad situations. I dealt with homeless families and I heard all of the excuses. They broke my heart. So that’s why I had a split second of . . . indecisiveness. But Kirsten said it best – for many it’s a choice.

BUT no one, and I mean no one has any excuse to touch much less grab another person uninvited.

gwalsh-d92

quote Kirsten:

There is far too much sympathy for the victimizer in my country and not enough for the victim.

Well said. Instant classic quote.

vinnyp1018

davidjoel,
    this is a forum for krav maga, not for your liberal crap and political beliefs. Go to the huffington post if you would like to talk about feelings.

Yeah, but it would have been a better post if she had said she kicked him in the nuts and left him in the middle of the street!!!:box:

claymore

quote Jenn:

I just have to say THANK YOU to my Krav instructors. 2 years ago I would have cowered and given this guy my money and felt bad for him and his situation. Today I’m just pissed he touched me and that I didn’t hit him and that I was aware of my surroundings.

Good job keeping your wits about you. This alone can be the biggest benefit Krav provides–lose your head, lose the fight.

Glad to hear you’re safe.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: