Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge I need cardio help.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    bear34

Tuesday night we sparred and sparred and sparred. I thought I was going to blow a lung. I’m 47 and need to work on my endurance.

Anyone have any good ideas to improve my cardio(I will not run). Sorry, this is somewhat Krav related.

mara-jade

Re: I need cardio help.

I’m assuming you’re a KM member somewhere..Do they offer other classes? Bag work, Cardio and Kettlebell are great classes to consider if you can get them.

Some do crossfit also. I haven’t done it but you can check it here

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html

Good luck:wav:

unstpabl1

Spar and spar and roll and roll

smokelaw1

I don’t know you or your condition/experience, so what I am about to say could be 1000% wrong. If so, ignore me.

When I started, my cardio sucked. But what made it even worse, WAY worse, was sparring or rolling, when I REALLY lost control of my breath, I held my breath, I panicked, I did all the things you’re not supposed to do to maximise in/out of oxygen. next time you spar, especially against someone who might be faster than you, but isn’t going to hurt you too bad if/when they hit you, is just focus on moving and breathing. Keep your breath smooth and controlled. yes, you’ll get hit, especially at first, but then you can start picking it up again, keeping your breath in control, and working harder, and harder….

Now, if that’s not it, and you just have no cardio….interval training. I think I did permanant damage to my lungs smoking for 15 years, not sure, never actually asked a Dr. about it further than a chest x-ray that came back clean of the big-C. BUT…for the amount of cardio I do, I should ahve better wind than I do. Interval training has gotten me to the point where I can push myself almost as hard as I wish I could, and my recovery times have gotten way better.

clfmak

I’m a big advocate of the jumprope. It’ll build your cardio and develop lightness on the feet.

theduke

A great way to built cardio without actually doing traditional cardio is to do circuit training mimicking the rounds your performing in your class. Pick an exercise (preforably total body) and do it for one minute. So for a five minute round your picking 5 differenent ex. for a round each. Then take a minute break or however long you break between rounds. You could do multiple rounds for a workout or choose throw them in as intervals during regular weight training.

bear34

Thanks, I think you may be dead on. BTW, I started KM as a reward to myself for quitting smoking(nearly 30 years.)

cptcrust

Yep … i smoked 3 -4 packs a day for over 20 years and ive tried to do at least 4 days a week krav since october …im still winded a lot but .to be honest its probably the main thing keeping me from sparking up …having said that i quit about 5 years ago for a couple of years and ran during that time …..i remember that it took almost a year to get over being winded …just remember it took decades to wreck your lungs …Im happy for every improvement i make no matter how small it is

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I jump rope with a 5lb heavy rope and do tabata it really helps with the 0-60 burst.

resqr1

I hate running. Elliptical machines are great. I started back in the gym 2 weeks ago. My max heart rate has gone from 147 to 130.

unstpabl1

quote CJs Dad:

I jump rope with a 5lb heavy rope and do tabata it really helps with the 0-60 burst.

My current self torture is 3 minute rds of 50 single unders, 12 pushups, 12 squats, 12 crunches

my feet hurt bad enough…god forbid a 5lb rope hit my toes

unstpabl1

quote CJs Dad:

Couple 3 minute rds of 50 single unders, 12 push ups, 12 squats, 12 crunches

short run to heavy bag w/3lb weights, 10 punches both hands, run back to starting point, drop 10 pushups…3 minute round

same as above using round kick or push or knees then squats

3 minute rds of knees

walk in a circle throw knees for a round, then round

The possibilities are infinate and the enjoyment of self torture;):

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: